Mega Ray Low MV

I normally purchase the 160 watt SB for my beardie, because he requires those levels,
but pretty much all of us use regular soft white bulbs, 40-70 depending on the age of the cham.
40 watts are really safe so chams don't burn themselves as much.
For $46.95 i can buy more supplies and plants instead.

Bob MacCargar's products are some of the best in the industry, so it's really great to see a new bulb designed to deliver lower levels of UV for species that can tolerate the higher temperatures of a 100w bulb. In a walk-in enclosure, these would probably work for even certain "montane" species like jacksonii or lowland hoehnelii, but for calyptratus, pardalis, lateralis and other warm-loving species, the new 100w Mega-Ray should work great!

I've ordered one and will post some irradiance measurements soon.

Cheers,

Fabián

I'm currently using a 160W Megaray over my yemen chameleon and I have to have it 20" above the top of the enclosure so that the levels inside my enclosure are spot on (I posted about it somewhere else). I DON'T use it as a basking bulb, only as a source of UV because I find the penetration is considerably better than any tubes currently available, so the conditions I create are slightly more realistic as the drop off in intensity isn't so sharp!

Having said that, I would love to not have to have the bulb so high above the enclosure as it can be a pain to mount it correctly! Although, having it so high allows me to maintain good temperatures throughout my enclosure (I'm in the UK so I need the heat it kicks out!) so maybe if this "low uv" bulb puts out the same temp, it wouldn't be suitable for my situation...

Fabian, do let us know the results of your irradiance tests, but could you also test how much heat is generated by the old and news bulbs to see if there is a difference?

Cheers!

Fabian, do let us know the results of your irradiance tests, but could you also test how much heat is generated by the old and news bulbs to see if there is a difference?

Cheers!

Hey James,

It should be here by the middle of next week, so I'll have some tests then. I don't currently use any MV bulbs on my animals as my chameleon room is kept relatively cool and everyone's exposure to UV comes from fluorescent sources, so I don't have any old bulbs to compare. I do, however, have some new 160watt MV bulbs in the closet I might pull out and test when the new "Low" bulb arrives. I would be very, very, surprised if the 100 Watt bulb emitted the same amount of heat as the 160 Watt bulbs. By definition, it should be safe to say that the 100 Watt bulb also produces less heat, and thus, can be placed closer to the cage.

Fabián

Last edited:
It looks like it can last up to 1-1.5 years.

The cost of one reptisun tube is about 35 bucks (canadian) and lasts only 6 months. Adding this to the cost of the heat bulbs (guessing 5-10 bucks per year) I say you do save money with this.

use 100 watt low uv for my 12 panthers adultes cages untile 1 year and it's so good. The lux is good and i use the uv-metre each month and is ok.

Sorry for my english i am a french canadian:eek:

use 100 watt low uv for my 12 panthers adultes cages untile 1 year and it's so good. The lux is good and i use the uv-metre each month and is ok.

Sorry for my english i am a french canadian:eek:

Thanks for sharing your experience! I agree, ReptileUV bulbs have a lux that is second to none. Their full spectrum, high-definition, fluorescents-- coupled with a Reptisun 5.0-- are a great solution for those using fluorescents only.

How close are the MR-Lows to the top of your cages?

Fabián

It looks like it can last up to 1-1.5 years.

The cost of one reptisun tube is about 35 bucks (canadian) and lasts only 6 months.
Adding this to the cost of the heat bulbs (guessing 5-10 bucks per year) I say you do save money with this.

Don't get me wrong, Bob MacCargar and Reptile UV make great zoo quality products.
But they're wicked sensitive, if it gets touched or jostled too much that's it, goodbye 60 bucks.
I've never had one that went a whole years 10 months at best.

Hey James,

It should be here by the middle of next week, so I'll have some tests then. I don't currently use any MV bulbs on my animals as my chameleon room is kept relatively cool and everyone's exposure to UV comes from fluorescent sources, so I don't have any old bulbs to compare. I do, however, have some new 160watt MV bulbs in the closet I might pull out and test when the new "Low" bulb arrives. I would be very, very, surprised if the 100 Watt bulb emitted the same amount of heat as the 160 Watt bulbs. By definition, it should be safe to say that the 100 Watt bulb also produces less heat, and thus, can be placed closer to the cage.

Fabián

Yeah, it was more the comparison between the two 100w bulbs as I only went for the 160w as I needed deeper penetration into my enclosure, but if I could put the bulb closer to the mesh, the drop off wouldn't be as sharp in my enclosure! Hopefully anyway! I'd definitely have to test it when they get over here!

My last megaray bulb lasted me exactly a year to the day (I kid you not!), and that took quite a bit of moving, unscrewing, bashing and all sorts! I know a guy who has had his megaray running for the last 3 years and the output is still amazing! I wish my new one will last that long!

In terms of costs, the megaray is a much better investment in the UK! A reptisun 10 (that I'd have to use for my enclosure - might even have to use two!) cost £30 each and the megaray only £50! So, I will get through two tubes per megaray (maybe more) and the fixture for a megaray is cheaper than a tube (then you get a reflector - I'd probably make one at least!), so you're saving a packet and giving a better spectrum of light! :D At least that's how it works out over here! The prices are probably different for you guys though!

Back
Top Bottom