Meet Yaddle, my new anole

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just wanted to share a couple pics of my new green anole, Yaddle. My local reptile shop sells them as snake food and when I told them I wanted to get one as a pet they told me not to bother, that they make terrible pets, that they require UVB and heat, and that you can’t hold them. Good advice of course, except for the terrible pet part. I already have a large anole vivarium setup with another female I got months ago, a CHE on a day/night thermostat, two Sansi plant grow LEDs, and a 6% Arcadia T5HO UVB that I just replaced with a new bulb this weekend. Pet store guy seems to think that a $7 animal isn’t worth doing the right setup but I completely disagree. Anoles are really underrated, have great big personalities, and make wonderful pets. Yaddle has settled right into her new enclosure and is enjoying baby grasshoppers and crickets. I love her already!

Attachments

• A3F07402-E014-421F-9C7F-58B3CFB8BDFE.jpeg
    A3F07402-E014-421F-9C7F-58B3CFB8BDFE.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 91303AC8-BDFB-4BE1-A80C-608F8BDE2901.jpeg
    91303AC8-BDFB-4BE1-A80C-608F8BDE2901.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 105
My prehensile tailed anole was one of my favourite critters....lots of personality...and attitude! I had him way over 12 years and offered him a strip of red pepper twice a week since it was his favourite veggie...and every time he would look at my thumb and then the pepper to decide which to bite...did he want me out of his cage or did he want the red pepper more!

My prehensile tailed anole was one of my favourite critters....lots of personality...and attitude! I had him way over 12 years and offered him a strip of red pepper twice a week since it was his favourite veggie...and every time he would look at my thumb and then the pepper to decide which to bite...did he want me out of his cage or did he want the red pepper more!

I googled your anole type to see what they looked like since I’ve never seen one; so cute! Love your story (and had no idea some eat veggies!) very cool.

I was in Honduras a few years ago on vacation and we had a little local anole who apparently lived on our deck. He was completely annoyed by our presence on “his” deck and would try to chase us off, lol. I loved his little pointy face so much and have adored anoles ever since.

I’m sure to the pet store guy that I just looked like some mom coming in to buy my kid a pet lizard (I had my son with me) so I appreciate him letting me know that these lizards, while cheap, would actually require a pretty expensive setup in order to thrive. After all, he doesn’t know me and assumed I was making an impulse buy. I wasn’t, of course, but he didn’t know that. I just found it interesting that he seemed to equate the worth of an animal with their price tag in that he told me not to bother with them (or perhaps he was just wanting me to purchase a more expensive pet!)

Last edited:
equate the worth of an animal with their price tag

This, right here. Why does an expensive animal deserve a nicer enclosure/better care than something "cheap"? I treat my unreleasable European starling the same as my Eleanora Cockatoo. Expenses shouldn't dictate the level of care!

Yaddle is beautiful! I love anoles. :love:

@Rst_Cham ... I didn't know any of the anoles ate veggies and fruit either until I caught him one day eating the ones I put in the dish in his cage for the insects. I'm not sure if other anole species do or not...but my knight anole never did (at least I never caught him doing it). I had a pair originally but the female died...they were WCs and I had no idea of their age. I got two batches of eggs from her before she died but neither batch hatched...don't know if it was my bad incubating or if maybe she was too old and the eggs were no good.

I like your story about the anole on the deck too! Thanks for sharing!

I hope you enjoy your anole! I hope she enjoys her "expensive" digs!

There very intelligent and one of my personal favorites. I've seen them outsmart snakes and other lizards it's a shame they so cheap and used as feeders the males get some blue and yellows with that big red strawberry gular fold. Cubans are cool also but more aggressive they can be jerks to greenies.

There very intelligent and one of my personal favorites. I've seen them outsmart snakes and other lizards it's a shame they so cheap and used as feeders the males get some blue and yellows with that big red strawberry gular fold. Cubans are cool also but more aggressive they can be jerks to greenies.

Yeah, breaks my heart that they are used as feeders. I also have a little brown anole. She’s a shy little thing in a bio active vivarium all by herself. I’ve been looking to get her a friend but haven’t found another brown anole locally yet.

I really need to start wearing my glasses. I thought you called him an a-hole.

Very cute! I spent a small fortune on a tiny gecko that was a stowaway in a package. Can’t put a price on happiness or cute pets!
lol! True!

These guys are cool. I find them outside on my "free range" set up ALL the time. I tend to pick them up and check them out. I love the cool aqua/teal "eye shadow" some of them get! I've been tempted to collect a few as pets, but both my males tend to try and eat them. Plus when they come by during the day when my chams are out, they tend to get the territorial response from my chams.

I pick up all sort of anoles that wander in. Frogs I will play with too, but they like to jump AT you instead of away... bleh.

Cool "pet" you got though. They can be quite pretty.

These guys are cool. I find them outside on my "free range" set up ALL the time. I tend to pick them up and check them out. I love the cool aqua/teal "eye shadow" some of them get! I've been tempted to collect a few as pets, but both my males tend to try and eat them. Plus when they come by during the day when my chams are out, they tend to get the territorial response from my chams.

I pick up all sort of anoles that wander in. Frogs I will play with too, but they like to jump AT you instead of away... bleh.

Cool "pet" you got though. They can be quite pretty.
Thank you! We’re enjoying having her very much and hopefully she’s enjoying her new enclosure. I wish they were local here like they are for you, I’m jealous!

Back
Top Bottom