Meet Worm

For supplements...its recommended that you use a phos free calcium powder at all feedings but two a months lightly dusted on the insects just before they are fed to the chameleon...and twice a month use a vitamin powder with a preformed source of vitamin A and with D3 in it. Look for words like retinol, retinyl, etc for the vitamin A.
PrEformed vitamin A and D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues if overdone....and if not in balance with each other and with the calcium, can lead to bumps on the ribs and tail.

D3 from UVB light won't build up if it's set up,right and the chameleon can move in and out of the light area.
D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues.
D3 is needed for the chameleon to be able to use the calcium. Too much D3 can result in those bumps, and othe issues.

Vitamin A comes in two forms...prEformed and prOformed. PrEformed is ready to go and can build up in the system and lead to health issues. (Excess is stored in the body.). PrOformed is from carotenes like beta carotene and cannot build up in the system because it is converted as needed...at least in most animals...there is concern that it might not be true in some or maybe all chameleons.

Hope this helps.

You said..."I use crickets. I feed her about 6-8 everyday"...large ones?

You said..."Basking temperature, about 72 degrees, but that is with the basking light off for the night. I have a switch that turns the basking light of at night."...the hottest it is during the day is what I need to know.

You said..."I use crickets. I feed her about 6-8 everyday"...large ones?

You said..."Basking temperature, about 72 degrees, but that is with the basking light off for the night. I have a switch that turns the basking light of at night."...the hottest it is during the day is what I need to know.
Yes large

I will get back to you on day temperature. I am currently going to school but when I get back I can check

D3 from UVB light won't build up if it's set up,right and the chameleon can move in and out of the light area.
D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues.
D3 is needed for the chameleon to be able to use the calcium. Too much D3 can result in those bumps, and othe issues.

Vitamin A comes in two forms...prEformed and prOformed. PrEformed is ready to go and can build up in the system and lead to health issues. (Excess is stored in the body.). PrOformed is from carotenes like beta carotene and cannot build up in the system because it is converted as needed...at least in most animals...there is concern that it might not be true in some or maybe all chameleons.

Hope this helps.
This helps a lot, thanks

You want to get a T5HO linear fixture and a 5.0 UVB bulb. This would sit on top of the cage and then the closest branch below it should be 8-9 inches away for the correct UVI level.
Like this one and it comes with the UVB bulb. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Then you have to get a phosphorus free calcium for all feedings. The one you have would ONLY be used 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Then all other feedings you would use a supplement like this one. nothing larger then the 6 oz jar. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3BKCGA/ref=twister_B017TFBUD4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You said...""I use crickets. I feed her about 6-8 everyday"..."large ones"...if you continue to feed her this much, it will likely make her produce larger clutches of eggs than we want to see them produce and cause her to have issues and maybe even die.

I would recommend that you only feed her 2 or 3 times a week...a total of 4 or 5 large crickets or equal value of other insects.
I'd also recommend that you keep the basking temperature at 80F during the day. No lights at night...of course.

Welcome to the forum! Worm is beautiful! can you show pictures of your entire cage so we can see it? I love seeing how people set up their chams!

Back
Top Bottom