Meet Reptar. This is his story.

Hello everyone, this is Reptar.

Reptar was abused by his previous caretaker. He was kept in a 12,12,20 enclosure without proper water or food intake. His tank was cleaned approximately once or twice a month and he only had a basking branch and a standing water dish in his enclosure (not sure if the water was properly changed, he probably shouldn't have a bowl of water in there anyways.)

The reason i now have Reptar is because a young girl physically THREW him across a room while handling him. She claimed he bit her. She had no marks nor did i see him move at all while sitting politely on her hand while my wife and my son and I were there.

We went to see him because he was being sold for $100 and we always go see the local reptiles for sale, because they've always been a passion of mine. He is now in our possession because we couldn't stand to see that happen to a living creature. (and yes i fought the urge to throw the girl across the room claiming she bit me)

Reptar now has a wheezing problem and sneezes on occasions, we are going to a vet if the problem persists. He also has a large bruise near his tail on the left side. Reptar was also very dehydrated and we had to get him to drink immediately as we got home. We set up our "rainforest" in the bathroom and let him go to town. He has shown AMAZING color to us so far and is extremely comfortable and willing to cooperate as we set up his enclosure.

There is however a fatal flaw in our rescue. The only enclosure we have is the one he came with. I did however clean it put a pothos plant in there with a basking branch and a vine that leads to 3 other levels to bask. (he hates it) We do have another xl reptibreeze on the way from a friend in columbus that he is shipping out monday, we'll receive it wednesday. Along with that have proper lighting and heating for him as well.

I just wanted to share his story because he's still practically a baby and i can't believe this could happen. We've only had to spend about 150 dollars in total so far thanks to Terry and i'm hoping he makes it through the hard weekend. I am free ranging him right now until sundown when he goes into the small tank. I'll keep you guys updated, and i hope this was a good spot to talk about it... general discussion seemed to fit.

ps. i was both furious and extremely heart broken when this all went down. i cried. i'm an emotional man... no shame in that.

edit: Second picture is me fixing a vine that fell after sundown and he decided to sleep on my arm for about 15 minutes before going in. and the third pic.... its upside down, no idea why.

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 274
Reptar is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. And he looks healthy from what I can tell.

I want to give that girl a huge slap across the face. People would FREAK if she threw a kitten or a puppy across the room, but oh it's just a lizard.

I cannot believe the cruelty there. She could have at least tried to contain herself, but maybe it was a gut reaction and she really did do it on accident.

I hope you guys can get him a big, nice home and give him a happy place to live.

Reptar is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. And he looks healthy from what I can tell.

I want to give that girl a huge slap across the face. People would FREAK if she threw a kitten or a puppy across the room, but oh it's just a lizard.

I cannot believe the cruelty there. She could have at least tried to contain herself, but maybe it was a gut reaction and she really did do it on accident.

I hope you guys can get him a big, nice home and give him a happy place to live.
Other than the wheezing he seems perfectly fine, which is surprising all things considered. Maybe he's a fighter.
I have no idea what could compel someone to do that. She looked younger, maybe 14 or so, but she dressed like she was 21 so i have no idea. If she was younger i'd understand a quick reaction like kids do but usually that's only an excuse for a 9 yo. I"m thinking MAYBE he flared up a little and hissed because she was moving her head around like a bobble head. It honestly did not look as if she was bit from where i was. If i were ever selling an animal i wouldn't let just anyone come and handle him who had money, regardless if i HAD to get rid of it or not.
Sometimes i just hate people :(

That cage can't get here soon enough. I"m sure he'll have a field day climbing all over in there :)

Inexcusable. I have never had any patience for people who neglect and abuse animals.I might have walked out with him right there and then, to heck with what price they were asking. He's in a much better situation now, best of luck to both of you.

You could set him up in a bathtub until the cage arrives. The bathtub works for me for overnights when we have parties and such and I want to remove my cham from the room.

Your story of Reptar brought tears to my eyes! My granddaughter is 12 and she would no more think of flinging an animal against the wall than she would a human baby! I look at his pictures and he is so precious how could anyone abuse something so adorable?! Thank God you were there and able to come to his aid. Good luck with him!

update for reptar:

His wheezing is now gone, which is was my BIGGEST concern when i heard him the first time i almost broke down.

Feeding is going okay, he won't free range or eat from a cup but when i present him a cricket with my hand he will chase me down for it. Assuming the free range enclosure in the bathroom is too big right now. But he is eating and getting calcium and basking very well.

He drinks like there's no tomorrow. he loves mistings and loves drinking off leaves. he doesn't care who's around and i just sat and watched him drink for about a half hour today. it was so cute.

Bruises are still there, but he's moving very well all over the plants. Tries to do a little more adventuring than i'd like, but i'm always there to keep him from doing anything crazy.

Sneezing has gone down sooooooooo much, i think it was the water they were giving him and the fact that his cage wasn't very clean. To my knowledge a few sneezes here and there are normal so this is the least of my concerns.

Most of the shed that's been stuck to him is now off. just waiting for the larger portions on his back to start, karma still has some unstarted in the same spot as his new brother :p

So he definitely seems alot happier from what i can tell, and is only getting better from here on out.

(Just a random add on: The reason i named him reptar is because of the AMAZING blue he has near his spines when he was in the rainforest. And to my knowledge reptar was green with blue spikes down his back.)

Back
Top Bottom