Mediterranean chams

Oumaema

Hello guys,
I am new here, I just got a cham from a friend of mine who found it somewhere, i have it for 2 weeks now and i mtrying my best to build the best environment for him as I can, i need your help to provide me with the necessary information
I ve noticed that he rubbs his eye to the branches for 15s each day
He ppoped only 3 times for 2 weeks now
Never seen him drinking from drops on the leaves,
He is a good hunter amd he can eat in front of me or anyone.
I feel like he got fat this 2 days and i m afraid it's because the feces still inside him
Chameleon Info:
The species common chams
, sex, male
age i don't know but i guess he is older than 6 months .
How long has it been in your care? Less than 2 weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not too much i prefer to let him come to me and he do that from time to time but not much
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Flies, medium cockroaches , meal worms
What amount? 2 flies 4 meal worms 1 cockroach per day , the amount varies each day but approximately like that
What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Potato
Supplements - I was not able to find any supplements in my country for reptiles
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Misting and dripping
How often and how long to you mist?2 times to three times per day ,once morning, once the evening once at night
Do you see your chameleon drinking? I ve seen him drink only 3 times now and it was only when i gave him water drippers with my hand and he opened his mouth and his head was up
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. He did it 3 times only the urine was orange to yellow never white
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never went to the vet

Cage Info:
Cage Type - now he in on a tree but i m building a screen cage 31.15.15 inch is it enough?
Lighting - he is now outside where he gets sun for 30min a day and in shadow
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? The outside temp os 77F Lowest overnight temp? 75 F I don't know what Tem i need to put in the enclosure
Humidity - What are your humidity levels?74% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? I just mist
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? It is in the terasse but i will put the enclosure in the room , no fans no air vents.
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On the floor
Location - Where are you geographically located? Morocco, Mediterranean country.

Hello guys,
I am new here, I just got a cham from a friend of mine who found it somewhere, i have it for 2 weeks now and i mtrying my best to build the best environment for him as I can, i need your help to provide me with the necessary information
I ve noticed that he rubbs his eye to the branches for 15s each day
Never seen him drinking from drops on the leaves,
I feel like he got fat this 2 days and i m afraid it's because the feces still inside him
Chameleon Info:
The species common chams
, sex, male
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not too much i prefer to let him come to me and he do that from time to time but not much
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Flies, medium cockroaches , meal worms
What amount? 2 flies 4 meal worms 1 cockroach per day , the amount varies each day but approximately like that
What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Potato
Supplements - I was not able to find any supplements in my country for reptiles
How often and how long to you mist?2 times to three times per day ,once morning, once the evening once at night
Do you see your chameleon drinking? I ve seen him drink only 3 times now and it was only when i gave him water drippers with my hand and he opened his mouth and his head was up
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. He did it 3 times only the urine was orange to yellow never white

Cage Info:
Cage Type - now he in on a tree but i m building a screen cage 31.15.15 inch is it enough?
Lighting - he is now outside where he gets sun for 30min a day and in shadow
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? The outside temp os 77F Lowest overnight temp? 75 F I don't know what Tem i need to put in the enclosure
Humidity - What are your humidity levels?74% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? I just mist
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? It is in the terasse but i will put the enclosure in the room , no fans no air vents.
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On the floor
Location - Where are you geographically located? Morocco, Mediterranean country.
Hello there,

You should also if you can send pics of your chameleon and pics of their entire cage. This will give our great advice givers a better idea of the type of care your chameleon needs 🙂

Once i will finish building his enclosure i will share it he is now on a small tree

Attachments

• IMG_20220906_155200_164.jpg
    IMG_20220906_155200_164.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 70
He is older than 6 months? You said he is a common species. Would that be a panther? He does not have any male patterns yet.

The only species of chameleon that I know of that lives in Morocco is the Chamaeleo chamaeleon....aka ...common chameleon...Mediterranean chameleon.

I'm not sure you can legally keep it.

Are you sure it's a male?

You have a quite a few things wrong with your care for it too.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

YOU SAID...I ve noticed that he rubbs his eye to the branches for 15s each day"...THIS MIGHT BE AN ISSUE. DOES HE SLEEP DURING THR DAY?
Never seen him drinking from drops on the leaves, THEY OFTEN NEED LONGER WATERING TIMES TO GET THEM TO DRINK.
I feel like he got fat this 2 days and i m afraid it's because the feces still inside him ARE YOUNSURE ITS A MALE?

Chameleon Info:
The species common chams
, sex, male
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Flies, medium cockroaches , meal worms CRICKETS SILKWORMS, OCCASIONAL WAX WORMS AND SUPERWORMS WOULD HELP.
What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Potato INWOULD ADD SOME FRESH GREENS...DANDELIONS, KALE, COLLARDS, ENDIVE AND VEGGIES SUCH A SWEET POTATO, SWEET RED PEPPER, SQUASH, ZUCCHINIAND SKIP TE WHITE POTATOES.
Supplements - I was not able to find any supplements in my country for reptiles YOU CAN ORDER THEM ON LINE. THE INSECTS SHOULD BE DUSTED WITH A PHOS FREE CALCIUM AT ALL FEEDINGS BUT TWO A MONTH. ON THOSE TWO DAYS USE REPTIVITE WITH D3 AND OREFORMED VITAMIN A. ALL DUSRINGS SHOULD BE LIGHT.
How often and how long to you mist?2 times to three times per day ,once morning, once the evening once at night HOW LONG AT EACH SESSION?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. He did it 3 times only the urine was orange to yellow never white. IT NEEDS TO DRINK MORE THEN.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - now he in on a tree but i m building a screen cage 31.15.15 inch is it enough? BIGGER IS BETTER.
Lighting - he is now outside where he gets sun for 30min a day and in shadow ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP HIM OUTSIDE?
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes. NON TOXIC AND WELL WASHED?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? It is in the terasse but i will put the enclosure in the room , no fans no air vents. YOU WILL NEED A PROPER UVB LIGHT IF YOURE KEEPING IT INSIDE...REPTISUN 5.0 LONG LINEAR TUBE LIGHT.
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On the floor. RAISED UP WOULD BE BETTER.

YOU NEED TO BE SURE ITS A MALE...OR YOU ARE LIKELY GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH EGGS.

The only species of chameleon that I know of that lives in Morocco is the Chamaeleo chamaeleon....aka ...common chameleon...Mediterranean chameleon.

I'm not sure you can legally keep it.

Are you sure it's a male?

You have a quite a few things wrong with your care for it too.
Yes it's legal keeping it, i guess it's a male, , and please can you correct me of what i am doing wrong with, i really want to make him as comfortable as I can.

Hello guys,

YOU SAID...I ve noticed that he rubbs his eye to the branches for 15s each day"...THIS MIGHT BE AN ISSUE. DOES HE SLEEP DURING THR DAY?
Never seen him drinking from drops on the leaves, THEY OFTEN NEED LONGER WATERING TIMES TO GET THEM TO DRINK.
I feel like he got fat this 2 days and i m afraid it's because the feces still inside him ARE YOUNSURE ITS A MALE?

Chameleon Info:
The species common chams
, sex, male
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Flies, medium cockroaches , meal worms CRICKETS SILKWORMS, OCCASIONAL WAX WORMS AND SUPERWORMS WOULD HELP.
What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Potato INWOULD ADD SOME FRESH GREENS...DANDELIONS, KALE, COLLARDS, ENDIVE AND VEGGIES SUCH A SWEET POTATO, SWEET RED PEPPER, SQUASH, ZUCCHINIAND SKIP TE WHITE POTATOES.
Supplements - I was not able to find any supplements in my country for reptiles YOU CAN ORDER THEM ON LINE. THE INSECTS SHOULD BE DUSTED WITH A PHOS FREE CALCIUM AT ALL FEEDINGS BUT TWO A MONTH. ON THOSE TWO DAYS USE REPTIVITE WITH D3 AND OREFORMED VITAMIN A. ALL DUSRINGS SHOULD BE LIGHT.
How often and how long to you mist?2 times to three times per day ,once morning, once the evening once at night HOW LONG AT EACH SESSION?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. He did it 3 times only the urine was orange to yellow never white. IT NEEDS TO DRINK MORE THEN.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - now he in on a tree but i m building a screen cage 31.15.15 inch is it enough? BIGGER IS BETTER.
Lighting - he is now outside where he gets sun for 30min a day and in shadow ARE YOU GOING TO KEEP HIM OUTSIDE?
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes. NON TOXIC AND WELL WASHED?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? It is in the terasse but i will put the enclosure in the room , no fans no air vents. YOU WILL NEED A PROPER UVB LIGHT IF YOURE KEEPING IT INSIDE...REPTISUN 5.0 LONG LINEAR TUBE LIGHT.
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? On the floor. RAISED UP WOULD BE BETTER.

YOU NEED TO BE SURE ITS A MALE...OR YOU ARE LIKELY GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH EGGS.
Those are really helpful info, about rubbing his eye he does that but he doesn't sleep during the day, his sleeping schedule is good,
About misting I most 3 min each time.
About him being a male , i am not really sure ,how can i know if he is male or female.

You can tell a male from a female by the height of the helmet (back of the head) and the tail length is usually a bit longer. You can also look at the base of the tail. Females generally are larger and males are slimmer.

The reason I'm curious about the sex is because this is almost egg laying season....so you need to know.

Female (mine years ago)...
https://www.adcham.com/images/images-species/Ch.chameleon/ccfemale.jpg

Male...
https://www.adcham.com/images/images-species/Ch.chameleon/ccmale.jpg

https://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/cchamaeleon.html

This should help too...
http://www.moroccoherps.com/en/ficha/chamaeleo_chamaeleon/

Last edited:
Those are really helpful info, about rubbing his eye he does that but he doesn't sleep during the day, his sleeping schedule is good,
About misting I most 3 min each time.
About him being a male , i am not really sure ,how can i know if he is male or female.
You can try gently misting the eyes with a very very fine mist to help it clean the eyes out. If it doesn't stop rubbing them then you may need to see a good chameleon vet.

If you mist long enough the chameleon should drink too.

You can try gently misting the eyes with a very very fine mist to help it clean the eyes out. If it doesn't stop rubbing them then you may need to see a good chameleon vet.

If you mist long enough the chameleon should drink too.
Alright thank you a lot .

Back
Top Bottom