mediterranean chameleon

Chamelover

hey !

what kind of UVB bulb should I use for this chameleon?
T5 OR T10 ?
And must it be linear ?

thank you :)

I use a reptisun 24" T5 HO. It takes two kinds of bulbs depending on your cage size. The 22" 5.0 is used with smaller cages and the 22" 10.0 is used for larger cages. Only get linear as all of the others only get to depths of 5-6". I also. Use a 75 watt basking light with a dimmer switch.which i love especially since this summer has been so hot. also setup some horizontal braches at a variety of levels no less then 8 inches from the top. Depending on the light setup you go with it should be about 12" from the top. And always chevk the temp at the basking spot as it should not exceed 80 degrees. Also no lights at night it can hurt their eyes. Chams can handle night temps no colder than 50 degrees.

T5 is the way to go, they’re known to be more efficient at delivering UVB rays. I would go with linear as they’re more reliable and safe option for getting you chameleon the UVB it needs.

Mediterranean Chameleon? I’ve heard of them but never heard of them in captivity. Can I have some pics?

hey !

what kind of UVB bulb should I use for this chameleon?
T5 OR T10 ?
And must it be linear ?

thank you :)

"T" refers to the diameter of a fluorescent bulb (in ⅛" increments)—not its output/power.
Either T5 or T8 are acceptable, but most seem to be gravitating to T5s; they're a newer tech that puts out more UVB more efficiently, and last ~twice as long as T8s.

That said, power would depend partly on the size/tech bulb you go with.
In most (not all) cases:
For T5, a Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%
For T8, you might kick that up to 10.0 or 12% respectively.
I think most here would recommend a T5 Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%.

The fixtures for T5 linear tubes are mostly made by the same company regardless of who sells them, so shop for price.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/need-a-better-uvb-light.184148/#post-1689350

Yes, for most reptiles, linear is the best choice for many reasons.

"T" refers to the diameter of a fluorescent bulb (in ⅛" increments)—not its output/power.
Either T5 or T8 are acceptable, but most seem to be gravitating to T5s; they're a newer tech that puts out more UVB more efficiently, and last ~twice as long as T8s.

That said, power would depend partly on the size/tech bulb you go with.
In most (not all) cases:
For T5, a Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%
For T8, you might kick that up to 10.0 or 12% respectively.
I think most here would recommend a T5 Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%.

The fixtures for T5 linear tubes are mostly made by the same company regardless of who sells them, so shop for price.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/need-a-better-uvb-light.184148/#post-1689350

Yes, for most reptiles, linear is the best choice for many reasons.

I have read that the reptisun T5 HO 5 (HO mean high output) only reaches down 13" to 18" and the T5HO 10.0 is recommended for the 4 foot cages as it goes to grEater depth which is required.

I have read that the reptisun T5 HO 5 (HO mean high output) only reaches down 13" to 18" and the T5HO 10.0 is recommended for the 4 foot cages as it goes to grEater depth which is required.
That's going to depend on the species of reptile, and where they like to bask.

Being arboreal, chameleons like to be (and bask) up high; they don't need UVB all the way to the bottom of an enclosure, and it's likely any UVB would be blocked from reaching that far by foliage.

A UVI meter—commercial or DIY—is the best way to tell how much UVB is being received where, what strength bulb to use, and at what distance.

Back
Top Bottom