Mealworms

They are harder to digest due to a higher chitin level than other readily available feeders. Chitin (from the exoskeleton of the feeder) isn't a major problem until consumption levels get too high. Many have stated that impaction has occurred when fed too often.

Is it true mealworms are bad for chameleons?
I have lost chameleons and geckos because mealworms were not chewed and killed when they were eaten.
Fortunately, this happens only rarely, but to often for me.
Now I now feed newly shed superworm larvae. They are white right after they molt because the chitin has not yet sclerotized.

I have lost chameleons and geckos because mealworms were not chewed and killed when they were eaten.
Fortunately, this happens only rarely, but to often for me.
Now I now feed newly shed superworm larvae. They are white right after they molt because the chitin has not yet sclerotized.

You are the first one to i have seen to report this directly. For most posts this is hearsay. The fact that most bearded dragons are raised on meal worms and do not die, has me wondering about this disconnect.

Crickets DO bite and eat the flesh of lizards if left unattended, they are not herbivores after all. Crickets DO have a higher chitin content vs meal worms (unless you remove the cricket legs). Yet everyone one feeds their chams buckets of crickets, and think that mealworms are the devils food.

I dont know why mealworms get a bad rap. I would like to see one fact sheet that shows crickets are a better option. The "newer" super worms are technically better because they have a better meat to shell ratio, but they are not pure herbivores either, they will munch on anything in their bin, even each other.

Yes, I have moved on from mealworms to dubia roaches because they are scavengers, and will not bite the chameleon if they get out of some kind of feeder cup, and because they have less of the indigestible chitin that mealworms and crickets have. Chameleons love the newly shed dubia roaches because they are soft and very easy to eat, and like @Bigsky said, "the chitin has not sclerotized."

Normally the posts show supers as a better alternative to mealworms, and I think the mealworms get a bad rap because many new keepers use them as an exclusive feeder that does not make noise, and the pet store says its O.K.. I think crickets are a more easily gutloaded feeder (in my opinion) and offer more movement to entice the strike, not based on chitin levels (as you correctly pointed out are higher in crix).

Normally the posts show supers as a better alternative to mealworms, and I think the mealworms get a bad rap because many new keepers use them as an exclusive feeder that does not make noise, and the pet store says its O.K.. I think crickets are a more easily gutloaded feeder (in my opinion) and offer more movement to entice the strike, not based on chitin levels (as you correctly pointed out are higher in crix).

Yup mealworms are the worse for gut loading. At best 10% of bw can be gut load, crickets are at least 20%, and dubia are even higher, but i dont think they are quite 30%, but they sure do squirt if they nail a full one :)

You are the first one to i have seen to report this directly. For most posts this is hearsay. The fact that most bearded dragons are raised on meal worms and do not die, has me wondering about this disconnect.

Crickets DO bite and eat the flesh of lizards if left unattended, they are not herbivores after all. Crickets DO have a higher chitin content vs meal worms (unless you remove the cricket legs). Yet everyone one feeds their chams buckets of crickets, and think that mealworms are the devils food.

I dont know why mealworms get a bad rap. I would like to see one fact sheet that shows crickets are a better option. The "newer" super worms are technically better because they have a better meat to shell ratio, but they are not pure herbivores either, they will munch on anything in their bin, even each other.

Bearded dragons are pretty tough, and bite or chew their prey, so they are less likely to swallow a live wireworm.
Gecko's and chameleon's mouths are much softer and may be more susceptible to damage. In one case, a mealworm chewed its way out of the dead gecko's stomach. I should have taken a photo.

I’m alittle creeped out by meal worms, personally. I see you guys are having trouble with meal worms anyways lol so why not just stick with cricket ( sprinkle calcium/vitamin powder occasionally) or maybe greens like kale or collar greens :)

I’m alittle creeped out by meal worms, personally. I see you guys are having trouble with meal worms anyways lol so why not just stick with cricket ( sprinkle calcium/vitamin powder occasionally) or maybe greens like kale or collar greens :)

A varied, well gutloaded diet is better for a few reasons. One of the best types of feeders can be horn worms or silk worms. They can provide hydration as well as variety to stimulate eating. Only offering one feeder can make hunger strikes very problematic if they occur.

Back
Top Bottom