Mealworms...

Tiberius

I am able to get my cham to eat mealworms by hanging a plastic cup with holes in it from the ceiling of his cage.
As the worms dangle he sees them and snatches them up. But a lot of them end up on the floor of the cage...
Any possible solutions??

Best DIY instead of retail mealworm feeders? I was told not to use worm, wax and meal worms cause they are treats and have no nutritious value.

bowl underneath?

try to put a small bowl underneath with smooth sides to catch the strays. then if he eats em out of the drop down cup or the catch bowl its fine and no wanderers

Best DIY instead of retail mealworm feeders? I was told not to use worm, wax and meal worms cause they are treats and have no nutritious value.

That's true, although they have a real big nutritious value - it's only they contain too much fat and protein to be a good regular chameleon food. Mealworms should be rare treats and can easily fed by hand separately. I would not recommend to feed that much worms you need a bowl or anything similar for the feeders. Mealworms can be kept in the fridge with a small amount of food, they can stay over weeks and months this way. And if they pupate - great, the beetles are much better food for chameleons than the fatty mealworms could be.

I am able to get my cham to eat mealworms by hanging a plastic cup with holes in it from the ceiling of his cage.
As the worms dangle he sees them and snatches them up. But a lot of them end up on the floor of the cage...
Any possible solutions??

Use a bowl that he look down into instead.
Mealworms are not an ideal feeder prey choice, but when properly gutloaded and lightly calcium dusted, they're okay to include as part of a varied diet.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

That's true, although they have a real big nutritious value - it's only they contain too much fat and protein to be a good regular chameleon food. Mealworms should be rare treats and can easily fed by hand separately. I would not recommend to feed that much worms you need a bowl or anything similar for the feeders. Mealworms can be kept in the fridge with a small amount of food, they can stay over weeks and months this way. And if they pupate - great, the beetles are much better food for chameleons than the fatty mealworms could be.

I only feed them to him occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom