Meal Worm

Carl

Hi, i have a 10 week old vev chameleon but he seems to have trouble eating crickets would it be ok to bowl feed him small meal worms?

Thanks.

Sorry should of mentioned it, the crickets i brought from my supplier seemed to cause him problems due to thier size. At first they was ay a nice size but if they had gotten any bigger he would have problems and they have.

He seems to have problems swalling them or spitting them out.

Well, the simplest answer seems to be that you should go and buy a new batch of small crickets.

If you don't want to keep the bigger crickets to establish a breeding colony, then just get rid of them.

Most people would recommend against using mealworms as a staple diet. They could certainly be used to add variety to your cham's diet, but you should stick to crickets, silkworms or maybe roaches as a staple diet.

Hi!
The crickets at the pet shop are usually to large to give to such a young juvenile C. unless they are pin-head size.
The best way is to buy crickets on-line from a company that specializes in breeding crickets of various sizes.
Just a recommendation: At Mulberryfarms.com, you can purchase small size crickets(Roughly 3 week of age) which are bigger than pin-heads but small enough for a very young C. to swallow and digest. There are other crickets companies out there, too!! It's up to you to search around on the Internet!

Christine

Yea problem is alot of companies like this are based in the US and im currently in the UK would this be a problem?

I have found alot of features i would like to buy but all in the US, and my pet supplier doesnt have these small crickets nor nice features for my cham.

Maybe i would have to travel abit to find a nice supplier.

I have found alot of features i would like to buy but all in the US, and my pet supplier doesnt have these small crickets nor nice features for my cham.

Wow, as an American, I feel the same about the UK. I would love to have access to chirpless crickets, locusts, and walking sticks. Not to mention some of the species that are much more readily available in the UK! Globifers, oh my!

Heika

Meal Worms

I have a weird question, can i still feed my chameleon meal worms after there first life state? As in beetle form or the in between stage?

If you can't find smaller crickets, try pinching their large back 'jumping' legs off. Simply pinch the large thigh area in between your thumbnail and index finger and the cricket will 'release' his leg. Its a natural protective reaction they use to avoid predation.
This 'may' make the size of your current crickets more easily handled by your chameleon, but still look for smaller bugs ;)
Good luck.

Hi Carl,

I get all of my bugs from The Reptile Room in Blackpool - it's only a 20 minute drive away from me.

They have a fantastic selection of different bugs at different sizes.

They also have an online shop, here's the link.........

http://www.thereptileroom.co.uk/index.php

I highly recommend them and if you're in the area call in on them - their reptile collection is awesome.
:D

Kaz

hi carl
im in uk also i get all mine feeders from an online store in eastfeild scarbough
they do a nice range of sizes and fast delivery heres the link if it helps

http://www.everythingforpets.com

Just wondering if you've bought their curly winged flies? I've bought 2 batches now from different suppliers and more are dead than alive.
Maybe this is the common thing with flies??
She does enjoy them though so i don't mind paying for them :)

full grown mealworms are called flour beetles

yes you can feed them to your chameleon as long as he is big enough to eat them!

When they are in the in between stage they don't move around very much, so it might be hard to get your chameleon to notice them.

To breed mealworms/ flour beetles, Replace the saw dust they come in with mashed up cereal such as Bran.

the warmer they are the faster they will grow.

Cool

full grown mealworms are called flour beetles

yes you can feed them to your chameleon as long as he is big enough to eat them!

When they are in the in between stage they don't move around very much, so it might be hard to get your chameleon to notice them.

To breed mealworms/ flour beetles, Replace the saw dust they come in with mashed up cereal such as Bran.

the warmer they are the faster they will grow.

Thanks so much,:p Flour beetles.:eek: They are the size of my chameleons head or a little smaller that might be too big eh?:)

They probably won't take them in the in-between stage because they don't move much. But, beetles are readily taken by most of my chameleons. I don't feed an excessive amount of them because of the shells on the beetles, but as part of a varied diet, I think they are just fine. I feed 3 or 4 a week to each of my larger species chameleons.

Heika

Heika, I had thought that too, but I had a relatively descent return when I offered them the pupae. Back when I was breeding mealworms I had a 8 that I decided to feed. 5 out of 8 took them as eagerly as a lively worm, the other 3 needed coaxing from me touching the pupae (which makes them squirm) for encouragement.

It sure surprised me though.

I do feed beetles from time to time as well.

Back
Top Bottom