Meal worm beetles?

Juliaf3

Established Member
Accidentally started a meal worm cycle. I thought it was more difficult to produce these guys lol anyway- are these beatles safe for a jackson? Anyone raise meL worms?? I could use any advice you got! Thanks

I have heard that the pupated mealworms are safe to feed most cham's, but don't take my word on it. An expert should chime in soon.

They are safe. Very crunchy, but safe. I wouldnt recommend more than 1-2 a week though due to large amount of shell. I just feed mine when i find one that managed to escape the feeder and pupated.

Great point ^ You don't usually want to feed things that can get bunched up and not digested properly.

As with most things in life, moderation is key. Too much of one thing is a bad thing.

They are safe. Very crunchy, but safe. I wouldnt recommend more than 1-2 a week though due to large amount of shell. I just feed mine when i find one that managed to escape the feeder and pupated.

God to know. I think ill just stick to the worms

My Jacksons will eat them as soon as they emerge from the pupa (while they are still white). I remember reading that they taste quite bitter. None of my Veileds would eat them.

I use them all the time when doing educational presentations with chameleons. I normally don't feed beetles, so they snag them eagerly when offered in front of an audience. Usually I let a few kids feed them after the presentation as well (My chams are up on branches above head level so they stay out for people to come up and observe close up afterwards). I've never had one have digestive problems even when they eat several in a show and a few shows in a week...

the beetles are fine, if your chameleon will eat them (not all chameleons like them). I wouldn't be concerned about the crunch factor unless they made up more than 10% of the total diet (same as for mealworm larva)

the beetles are fine, if your chameleon will eat them (not all chameleons like them). I wouldn't be concerned about the crunch factor unless they made up more than 10% of the total diet (same as for mealworm larva)

Eeeeeek! You replied on one of my threads! Your gut loading is the gospel! Thanks for you input!

Both my veileds love the beetles. They dont like the mealworm, will occasionally taste the pupa, but gosh they go crazy for the beetles

Back
Top Bottom