MDB or Gout - Includes Xrays

Well I literally just stepped on the bulb and broke it while I was setting this up 🙈

But my partner is out getting a new one now. It is resting on two blocks on top of the 16” side of the enclosure - none of the branches are higher than 4 inches off the floor, so Bebop will always be at least 14” away from the UV

Is the hospital box suggested by the first vet? Only continually changing his environment added to the force feeding and visiting vets etc is going to put your guys stress levels through the roof.

You could possibly be overhandling him, each animal is different but my chameleon really feels most comfortable when unnoticed. She is tame and will walk into my hand without fear but she must have been like 8 or 9 months before this happened. I only handle her 1 a month when doing a enclosure clean. Does he walk onto your hand or do you have to pluck him off the branches?

Is the hospital box suggested by the first vet? Only continually changing his environment added to the force feeding and visiting vets etc is going to put your guys stress levels through the roof.

You could possibly be overhandling him, each animal is different but my chameleon really feels most comfortable when unnoticed. She is tame and will walk into my hand without fear but she must have been like 8 or 9 months before this happened. I only handle her 1 a month when doing a enclosure clean. Does he walk onto your hand or do you have to pluck him off the branches?
I’ve had him since he hatched, and he started coming into my hand willingly at around 3-4 months! Before this happened he would always come out from wherever he was if I opened the door and offered a hand. I try to be respectful of his privacy and not handle him too much. Since his vet visit I would say that he’s been handled once a day for calcium/supplements. He seems to be improving every day. I just moved him in here today cause he looked like he was trying to move around in the small plastic tub but having a hard time. He climbed immediately onto this small perch when I put him here - and I am thinking he feels better not being on the floor.

Okay was just a suggestion but I get giving meds or even taking to the vets is a necessary stress in certain cases.

But in all honesty my chameleon is most active and content roaming all around her territory when everyone is ignoring or failing to notice her. If I have visitors wanting to look at her she freezes up tries to hide behind branches.she is alway reluctant to come out of cage but will do onto my hand most of time not always though, food certainly helps and gets her attention.

Hopefully he will shoot again and produce a fecal.

Well I literally just stepped on the bulb and broke it while I was setting this up 🙈

But my partner is out getting a new one now. It is resting on two blocks on top of the 16” side of the enclosure - none of the branches are higher than 4 inches off the floor, so Bebop will always be at least 14” away from the UV
Ok so is it going through the screen top or do you have the top open so there is nothing blocking it? I am asking because with a zoomed 5.0 T5HO bulb and nothing blocking the light to reduce it you acutally need the distance to be 11 inches to the cham from the bottom of the fixture to put him in a 3 UVI level.

Ok so is it going through the screen top or do you have the top open so there is nothing blocking it? I am asking because with a zoomed 5.0 T5HO bulb and nothing blocking the light to reduce it you acutally need the distance to be 11 inches to the cham from the bottom of the fixture to put him in a 3 UVI level.
The light on the left is just a plant light - it provides more heat. The UVB is on the right, and I switched out the bulb in the basking lamp with just a normal frosted incandescent like you said last week.

He ate THREE whole crickets this morning!!! He is trying to use his tongue, but definitely struggling - it is sad but also kind of cute. First time he has shown interest in food.

Attachments

• 00D42271-E36A-4834-A782-787811054EC9.jpeg
    00D42271-E36A-4834-A782-787811054EC9.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 63
6 months surprises me for gout to develop… always thought that one took more time to present (but I’m not even close to qualified to make that call).

I will say that bloodwork will help determine gout… uric acid in the blood would he elevated (I believe), which can also be indicative of other issues / organ function. Gout can be triggered by chronic under-hydration, over or incorrect supplementation, among other things. It is painful, may shows swelling and inflammation around joints, similar to what you might see on someone with RA on their hands. Can go hand in hand with kidney issues, all of which bloodwork can help determine. I had a chameleon with suspected gout and it required special accommodations to assist with mobility, TLC, and special attention to hydration. That chameleon had special needs when it came to me (as an adult), so its unclear what the underlying cause may have been, but bloodwork did show mildly elevated uric acid.
I’m curious what the treatment for the gout was?

I’m curious what the treatment for the gout was?

The vet just wanted to keep hydration high and watch the protein, as his counts were elevated but not at the threshold. There is medication for it but if I recall correctly it has some pros and cons to consider - like add’tl stress on kidneys. Dont quote me as it has been a few years.

Back
Top Bottom