mbd?

coldsweat97527

hello,

i currently had a friend drop his female veiled 5-6 month old in my lap as he was moving and couldn't keep her. now i know he never took great care of her but i never knew how bad off she was till i got her in a 40 gal aquarium with no ventalation at all and some type of aquarium bulb a blacklight snd a heat lamp inside with her :[ i got her into a screen tank and got her a reptisun 5.0 and moved her basking bulb to outsiders of her tank and started dusting her food with reptivite with d3 and calcium without d3 alterating weekly her basking spot is about 85 and she gets misted 4 times daily. she seems much happyer but yesterday i had her out cleaning her cage and noticed her front leg was bent upward between her elbow and foot and was a lil shakey. i cant post pics at the moment but will try to get em up this weekend if i get to a computer.. my main question is what can be done for mbd? and is that what it sounds like? from the mbd posts i have read/pics i have seen it's what i believe it is but i am no expert. she hunts fine and has been drinking ok. her poop looks normal. any imput would be great i feel bad force this poor lil girl

thank you
jamie

Well MBD is treatable, but your going to have to take her to a vet to get medication. Some sort of liquid calcium supplement will help her reverse. I would also get her fecal tested for parasites.

I get mad when I hear of the ignorance that people have towards keeping their chameleons. I am glad that you got the cham and sounds like you are on the right track to giving it a much happier and healthy life. Good luck!!!!

I'll second Leahryan's suggestion

Treatment by a competent vet who is very experienced in treating reptiles is the best course of action.
The sooner she is professionally treated, the better her chances for a full recovery.
Of course, nobody likes to spend money needlessly, but injections by a vet will result in a reversal of (and very importantly, stops the progression of) MBD in days/weeks, rather than months.
Sorry that your friend failed to take care of her and hope that you'll get her professional help.
carol5208, none of us is happy to learn of things like this, but it is more often ignorance and/or poor husbandry advice by the seller, rather than neglect or malice, which leads to things like this happening.
At least she is now in good, caring hands :)

You are right and it is mostly the fault of where you buy your cham from. Like the petstores who give such horrible advice on how to house and feed etc. I was reading one post where the owner was told to dust the food the crickets eat instead of the crickets! I just think that once you buy something, it would not hurt to educate yourself further to make sure you are doing everything correctly. This forum is a great example.!

hello,

i currently had a friend drop his female veiled 5-6 month old in my lap as he was moving and couldn't keep her. now i know he never took great care of her but i never knew how bad off she was till i got her in a 40 gal aquarium with no ventalation at all and some type of aquarium bulb a blacklight snd a heat lamp inside with her :[ i got her into a screen tank and got her a reptisun 5.0 and moved her basking bulb to outsiders of her tank and started dusting her food with reptivite with d3 and calcium without d3 alterating weekly her basking spot is about 85 and she gets misted 4 times daily. she seems much happyer but yesterday i had her out cleaning her cage and noticed her front leg was bent upward between her elbow and foot and was a lil shakey. i cant post pics at the moment but will try to get em up this weekend if i get to a computer.. my main question is what can be done for mbd? and is that what it sounds like? from the mbd posts i have read/pics i have seen it's what i believe it is but i am no expert. she hunts fine and has been drinking ok. her poop looks normal. any imput would be great i feel bad force this poor lil girl

thank you
jamie

It sounds like you're on the right track and you're doing a really good thing by rescuing her. Sounds like she needs a visit to the vets but in the mean time you're doing all the right things to help her out

thank you all for your help :] i should be getting her to a vet soon... i just have to find a good one in the southern oregon area.

thank you all

jamie

You should be able to buy (at a pharmacy) some liquid calcium gluconate or sandoz. Its supposed to be more readily digested. Good UVB (sunlight, if possible) and appropriate temperatures and proper supplementation should help until you get to the vet.

The quickest way to get the balance back is for the vet to give it shots of calcium until the blood calcium levels are high enough for a shot of calcitonin that draws the calcium RAPIDLY back into the bones. If its not done when the blood calcium levels are high enough, it can kill the chameleon so a vet needs to do it.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom