MBD?

My chameleon has been shedding for a whole week and still hasn't finished. Today I checked her out to find that the midpoint between her elbow and wrist is bent outwards like it got cracked in half. I was in Cuba this past week so I left my chameleon with my grandparents since I really didn't have any choice. I'm coming to the conclusion that she might have MBD. Whether it is severe or not I do not know which is what I came to ask. Attatched are some photos of her leg, shedding, and rest of body. Thank you ahead of time. If you need more detailed photos feel free to ask. Thank you 20191206_205338.jpg 20191206_205329.jpg

The bend in her leg certainly looks suspiciously like a sign of MBD, but I’m not a vet. Also, I’m not sure that her leg would be normal one week, and then bent a week later. MBD, as I understand it, tends to creep up; although I defer to the more experienced on this site. May I ask what you were doing in Cuba? It seems like an expensive trip.

The bend in her leg certainly looks suspiciously like a sign of MBD, but I’m not a vet. Also, I’m not sure that her leg would be normal one week, and then bent a week later. MBD, as I understand it, tends to creep up; although I defer to the more experienced on this site. May I ask what you were doing in Cuba? It seems like an expensive trip.
Just visiting family and trying to help out the people there. And my grandparents said that when they were taking care of my cham that she fell multiple times straight to the ground. At least 4 times while I was gone. I was thinking that with a lack of calcium deficiency the bones would become more fragile would it not? And my dad also didn't let me bring the UVB light over to my grandparents because it was "too much of a hassle".

Can't. I don't have a form of income so I don't have anything to buy it with. The other stuff I bought was because I had my birthday money
So I’m assuming you’re young...no problem with that. The uvb is essential in preventing mbd. Without vitamin D3 which is provided by natural unfiltered sunlight, correct uvb and/or dietary supplement, calcium can not be absorbed by the bones. This causes brittle bones and results in fractures as you are seeing.
Are you giving any calcium with vitamin D3? If you live in a warm part of the country, you could take your cham outside for some sun a few times a week. Uvb does not pass through glass, so putting in front of a window won’t work. Can you ask your parents to get you the correct uvb...perhaps in exchange for some chores?

Respectfully, she’s quite a bit older than 4 months. Appears to be malnourished as well.

Please fill out the help form and attach pics of everything.
I just read the help form. And I forgot to mention that another owner had her for a round a month so she might be 5 months. I'm really bad with dates so yeah.

I too advise filling out the form, but I think it is critical that you ask your parents to make a vet appointment for her. There’s just no way around it: she needs veterinary help. The correct uvb lamp, supplementation and cage setup are also requirements.

So I’m assuming you’re young...no problem with that. The uvb is essential in preventing mbd. Without vitamin D3 which is provided by natural unfiltered sunlight, correct uvb and/or dietary supplement, calcium can not be absorbed by the bones. This causes brittle bones and results in fractures as you are seeing.
Are you giving any calcium with vitamin D3? If you live in a warm part of the country, you could take your cham outside for some sun a few times a week. Uvb does not pass through glass, so putting in front of a window won’t work. Can you ask your parents to get you the correct uvb...perhaps in exchange for some chores?
I do have a UVB light and it's one that another person on this website recommended to me wen I was first starting off. And I live in Florida but whenever I take her out she turns black and tries to run to shade. Lol. And within the past maybe 6 weeks I have been putting her in the tank where I keep my cricket farm in order for her to eat as much as she wants so no, giving her calcium was not in mind. And she looks malnourished because she probably is. I gutload my crickets with water and varying leafy greens and sometimes oatmeal but not so long ago ants got into my cricket bin and killed them all. It took around a month to get the crickets reproducing again and because I depend on my parents money, they didn't want to spend so much on going to the store and buying her food while letting the other crickets reproduce. So throughout that period she recieved small amounts of food which was badly played on my part.

I do have a UVB light and it's one that another person on this website recommended to me wen I was first starting off. And I live in Florida but whenever I take her out she turns black and tries to run to shade. Lol. And within the past maybe 6 weeks I have been putting her in the tank where I keep my cricket farm in order for her to eat as much as she wants so no, giving her calcium was not in mind. And she looks malnourished because she probably is. I gutload my crickets with water and varying leafy greens and sometimes oatmeal but not so long ago ants got into my cricket bin and killed them all. It took around a month to get the crickets reproducing again and because I depend on my parents money, they didn't want to spend so much on going to the store and buying her food while letting the other crickets reproduce. So throughout that period she recieved small amounts of food which was badly played on my part.
I sympathize with your position, but it seems like there is an inability on your part, and unwillingness on your parents’, to give this chameleon what she needs to survive. That is not a criticism, nor judgment, just a restating of what you’ve said. I would recommend rehoming the chameleon, or else figuring out a way to accommodate her needs.

I too advise filling out the form, but I think it is critical that you ask your parents to make a vet appointment for her. There’s just no way around it: she needs veterinary help. The correct uvb lamp, supplementation and cage setup are also requirements.
Yes. I am working on writing the help thing. But here's the thing a out my parents. They hate how expensive the vet is. They have only gone once for my dog which was 75 dollars around there per visit and so they decided to not go back. Now everytime I ask my dad to take one of my pets to the vet he always says "leave them alone. If they live worse in nature then they are fine without our help in captivity." And so I listen to him cause I have to and my pets get healed so his ego rises each time that he doesn't need a vet. I just don't know how to get it through his head that it doesn't work like that but that's my situation with vets.

I sympathize with your position, but it seems like there is an inability on your part, and unwillingness on your parents’, to give this chameleon what she needs to survive. That is not a criticism, nor judgment, just a restating of what you’ve said. I would recommend rehoming the chameleon, or else figuring out a way to accommodate her needs.
I understand. Thank you for your help.

Yes. I am working on writing the help thing. But here's the thing a out my parents. They hate how expensive the vet is. They have only gone once for my dog which was 75 dollars around there per visit and so they decided to not go back. Now everytime I ask my dad to take one of my pets to the vet he always says "leave them alone. If they live worse in nature then they are fine without our help in captivity." And so I listen to him cause I have to and my pets get healed so his ego rises each time that he doesn't need a vet. I just don't know how to get it through his head that it doesn't work like that but that's my situation with vets.
I’m sorry for your predicament. :( As Kaizen suggested, it may be best to look into rehoming her, perhaps with a reptile rescue.

My chameleon has been shedding for a whole week and still hasn't finished. Today I checked her out to find that the midpoint between her elbow and wrist is bent outwards like it got cracked in half. I was in Cuba this past week so I left my chameleon with my grandparents since I really didn't have any choice. I'm coming to the conclusion that she might have MBD. Whether it is severe or not I do not know which is what I came to ask. Attatched are some photos of her leg, shedding, and rest of body. Thank you ahead of time. If you need more detailed photos feel free to ask. Thank youView attachment 252893View attachment 252894
So my chameleon is a veiled female 4-5 month old chameleon and has been in my care for all but 1 month of that time period.

I used to handle my chameleon a lot but now I just leave her alone and let her do her thing.

I feed her crickets and tried mealworms here and there but she doesn't go for them. I usually feed her between 5 to 8 crickets but they are 2-3 week old crikets. I usually feed her everyday or every 2 days depending on if she goes for crickets at all within 1 hour of placing *she usually does*. I feed her anywhere from 4pm to 6pm. The crickets I feed her are kept by me in a bin so I throw in lettuce or spinach or oatmeal and they eat it.

I use repticalcium from Zoo Med and once a month put some reptivitamins from Zoo Med in however I have not been doing that within the past 6 weeks at all.

My watering technique is misting her cage 3 times a day for 30 seconds if I'm rushed to 2 minutes at a time. And if I'm scared she is not drinking water I fill a tank full of water and let her drink from it which she does if she wishes. So with the last part yes and I've only seen her drink twice from misting alone.

Fecal stuff. She has normal colored fecal brown and big but I haven't seen it immediately after coming out except for once about 3 months ago. But her poop is brown and the urates ranges from white to white with a little bit of orange in the part that connects the urate and the poop but not much. She has not been tested for parasites and how do I do that is it by going to the vet?

And no extra info as I'm pretty sure I gave what I needed

My cage is screen 16×16×30 inches.

These are the lights I am using
Screenshot_20191207-081957_Chrome.jpg

And with this heater

Screenshot_20191207-082221_Chrome.jpg

And with these kinds of hoods

Screenshot_20191207-082243_Chrome.jpg

I keep the heater on whenever the temperature is super cold so she can stay warm but when it is also warm naturally I turn it off as I have a temperature gauge to tell me everything. And the UVB is turned on during the day. And yes it's compact but it also reaches around the whole center of the cage it just doesn't reach the corners. But she never goes there anyway.

The temp range is approximately 60°F at the coolest area as of now because it is cold in Florida and a little over 100 right on the cage. She usually stays withing 4-5 inches of the heater. And like I said earlier I measure the temp with a temp gauge.

Humidity ranges from 40 at night to like 70 during the day. I keep it there by misting her and I also measure with a in cage humidity gauge.

I am not using live plants as my mom won't let me.

My cage is located by a window where the sun hits everyday so that way all light isn't solely from the UVB. It is not near a fan, high traffic area, or air vent it is approximately 2 and a half feet from the room floor to the cage floor.

And I am located in central Florida

Back
Top Bottom