MBD & Liquid Calcium

Kali11

Established Member
Some of you have been following my other thread "veiled in the ground"

The ones who haven't seen my story, the gist is, I was very misinformed about chams when I got her. The result is she has MBD. I figured I'd voice this question to everyone to see if anyone knew my question:

She has been taking liquid calcium every day for a little over a month.

My question is when should I stop doing the liquid calcium every day?

There are no exotic vets here. My vet does see reptiles. They admitted not knowing a lot about chams. But my vet told me that I will have to give her liquid calcium every day for the rest of her life. Is this correct?

She will need calcium at every feeding the rest of her life. I don't believe it needs to be liquid. The liquid will need to be continued for quite a while after she has improved as they can appear better but still be deficient.

She will need calcium at every feeding the rest of her life. I don't believe it needs to be liquid. The liquid will need to be continued for quite a while after she has improved as they can appear better but still be deficient.
I dust every feeding with calcium without d3. I do d3 and vitamin every 2 weeks. And I've been doing the liquid calcium every night for a little over a month.

I can't give you an exact time as I've never personally treated a young veiled but the test of when her bones are fully calcified is to do an X-ray. You might want to check with your vet to get them to clarify why they say forever with a phone call. I know her bone shape may never be normal but she should get better metabolically eventually. It is a slow process.

I can't give you an exact time as I've never personally treated a young veiled but the test of when her bones are fully calcified is to do an X-ray. You might want to check with your vet to get them to clarify why they say forever with a phone call. I know her bone shape may never be normal but she should get better metabolically eventually. It is a slow process.
Thank you! I will look into getting her xrayed at my vet.

An x-ray is a good idea to see what you are dealing with, and hopefully it will show that any damage is healing and not getting worse. I am not a vet, but I think I would gradually wean her off the liquid calcium just to get her back to a normal routine. If she develops eggs you may want to get some feeders that are high in calcium or, given her history you may want to start up some liquid calcium just temporarily just to help her during the egg formation process.

Thank you! I'm having issues judging if she's ready to lay eggs or not. I can't feel any in her belly. But I don't really know what I'm feeling for. She's been spending a lot of time down in her umbrella plant, which she used to not do. But this may be bc she's so much better at climbing now. It's easier for her to climb up and down. I'm going to make her laying bin this weekend.

I know this was mostly answered but with the rescues who have been on liquid calcium before and in my care, I usually wean them around double the time they've been sick. So depending on how bad she is depends on how long she may need liquid calcium. Do liquid calcium and natural sunshine as a combo cause it hits all the right places at once and can slow down MBD very very fast.

Back
Top Bottom