Mbd diet

Hey guys!

I've made a couple posts about my Male chameleon Petri who is slowly but surely recovering from advanced mbd. My question is what should make up the main portion of his diet? Live insects arent plausible as hes not very quick and is just learning to use his tongue. So, I've been using canned crickets. If this is wrong please EDUCATE me, dont belittle me. Pic for update on my little dude

Attachments

• Snapchat-700218645.jpg
    Snapchat-700218645.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 124
Live insects are best, put them in a feeder run cup so he can get them easily or hand feed him I would make his diet consist of mainly crickets or even better Dubia roaches/silkworms which are the best for them. As a treat I would go for hornworms or superworms but other feeders like mantids stick bugs locusts other types of roaches etc are all good for a staple diet. Are you gutloading? If so with what? Are you supplementing? What supplements do you use? Live insects have types of vitamins that chameleons NEED in their diets. If they just aren't plausible then freshly kill them and feed them because the canned bugs have nothing in them. Also bsfl and bbfl are slow moving and full of vitamins try them.

Last edited:
BSFL and silkworms are pretty slow moving, even dubia dont move that quick especially if you put them on their back first. My little guy loves to hunt his food, but he sure does take his sweet time hunting them so half the time he doesnt get them right when I put them in his cage and has to get them later when theyve calmed down a bit. So the worms and dubia are great hunters since he is so slow on the strike

Live insects are best, put them in a feeder run cup so he can get them easily or hand feed him I would make his diet consist of mainly crickets or even better Dubia roaches/silkworms which are the best for them. As a treat I would go for hornworms or superworms but other feeders like mantids stick bugs locusts other types of roaches etc are all good for a staple diet. Are you gutloading? If so with what? Are you supplementing? What supplements do you use? Live insects have types of vitamins that chameleons NEED in their diets. If they just aren't plausible then freshly kill them and feed them because the canned bugs have nothing in them. Also bsfl and bbfl are slow moving and full of vitamins try them.
I havent been gutloading as I've been feeding canned crickets, lesson learned. Also currently I'm supplementing with calcium gluconate liquid vet ordered. Calcium w d3 once a week and feeding reptaboost about twice a week. Stupid question but bsfl and bbfl? Explain please lol. ALSO, is there any place local to get these bugs or do I have to order?

I havent been gutloading as I've been feeding canned crickets, lesson learned. Also currently I'm supplementing with calcium gluconate liquid vet ordered. Calcium w d3 once a week and feeding reptaboost about twice a week. Stupid question but bsfl and bbfl? Explain please lol. ALSO, is there any place local to get these bugs or do I have to order?
The local question would depend on where you are, but I would just search for exotic pet/reptile shops and just call around and see what they carry. My local exotic shop carries dubia and hornworms but no bsfl and silkworms

No prob, no canned cricket or any bugs. Lots of BSFL and all your other standard feeders. Clip their legs and put them in a bowl so he can start using those muscles again.
And now for the most basic question of all.... how do you store live bugs? Because of my little guys health, I haven't done this yet. I've searched the forums for ways to store feeders but havent had luck finding the info. So let's say I go purchase crickets or silkworms, what do I do with them?

Hey guys!

I've made a couple posts about my Male chameleon Petri who is slowly but surely recovering from advanced mbd. My question is what should make up the main portion of his diet? Live insects arent plausible as hes not very quick and is just learning to use his tongue. So, I've been using canned crickets. If this is wrong please EDUCATE me, dont belittle me. Pic for update on my little dude
Glad to see he is looking much better! Keep up the good work!

And now for the most basic question of all.... how do you store live bugs? Because of my little guys health, I haven't done this yet. I've searched the forums for ways to store feeders but havent had luck finding the info. So let's say I go purchase crickets or silkworms, what do I do with them?
Put the silk worms or crickets in a container with places to hide and climb and clear out the dead ones every day

Back
Top Bottom