Mbd check

Crossingtami

Avid Member
So my karma has a check at the vet for suspected mbd. What should I expect at the vet? Is it safe to get blood work done on a 6 month old?

So my karma has a check at the vet for suspected mbd. What should I expect at the vet? Is it safe to get blood work done on a 6 month old?
Hi. :) What I do is write or print out all of my husbandry in as much detail as possible for the vet, going by the same questions that we use in the help form - see below. A not so great chameleon vet will hold your cham up, turn it around and just look at it and that’s it. A good vet will look, palpate, listen to heart and lungs and be interested in your husbandry and ask questions. I’m not sure about the bloodwork, but getting an x ray (radiograph) is important when mbd is suspected. It not only will show if there are any abnormal bends or breaks in the bones, but can also show bone density. Be prepared with any questions you may have too...write them down. If you can collect a fresh fecal to check for parasites, that is a plus for general health.
If you’d like, you can have the forum review your husbandry as well. Just copy/paste the form with your answers and include pics of your cham and it’s enclosure, lights to floor.:)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If it is an experienced vet no problem.

You need to write down very specifically you care so you can go over it with the vet. Don't be afraid to ask their experience level with Chameleons.
Use the "how to ask for help" for the vet and fill it out here so your care can be reviewed.

MBD doesn't just happen. If you fill out the how to ask somebody here will help guide you. It is critical to adjust care now, as MBD is caused be improper husbandry. It can not be reversed, but it can be stopped. So act fast.

Normally its just an xray and a few drops of blood from the forearm around here. Kinda $$$ but it normally is only needed once in the chams life.

I've posted all the info previously and have adjusted all the supplements and lighting issues. He holds his mouth open half the time and closed half the time. Was just wanting to know what to expect at vet and if its safe for blood work on karma

I have all info written for vet. Supplements and lighting etc... its just hard bc of the whole covid thing. (They take pet inside and I have to wait in parking lot while they do their check. Then they converse over the phone about findings )

I have all info written for vet. Supplements and lighting etc... its just hard bc of the whole covid thing. (They take pet inside and I have to wait in parking lot while they do their check. Then they converse over the phone about findings )
I’ve had to do several visits this way. I make sure to let them know in advance whatever tests I consent to in advance to save time and phone calls.

Back
Top Bottom