MBD Cham food

Established Member
So I have a veiled Cham and was wondering if i could feed anything other than Powder food, BSFL, and wax worms because he can’t eat anything that is hard (or has too much caiten or citen idk how to spell it, but it is the stuff that makes the bug hard). I’ve heard that you can feed fruit and veg but there are mixed opinions on it so I haven’t done that yet. He has a pretty bad case of MBD and I just want him to have a more varied diet than just 3 things ya know. Just a disclaimer, we got him from a lady that didn’t do the research on Chams and had the wrong lighting. We did not have him when he first developed MBD but we took him to the vet to confirm that he did have it. He also can’t shoot his tongue all the way, just like an inch or two.

Silkworms are nice and squishy. Wax worms aren’t a great staple feeder as they are so fatty. While some veileds will eat greens, fruits and veggies, they really aren’t able to digest them and I doubt would be able to get any nutrition from them. Save those for gutloading.
Maybe this will help. You could let the waxworms and bsfl pupate and become flies for a nice little flying treat. Might help stimulate him to try shooting his tongue a little farther.
2EF74214-2422-407A-8CB3-E30185FB38F8.jpeg
17E5CAF1-FE01-4AB8-B33D-4CB152771BE1.jpeg

Red runner roaches are pretty squishy as far as roaches go. Might be another good option for variety

If you get dubia roaches, watch for them to molt, they will be white and soft until they harden up
These are my chams favorite. Lucky I have colonies large enough to be able to pick out a tender Juicy white one whenever I go out to get em.?

What is being done to correct the MBD? It needs to be corrected and then the husbandry needs to be correct to keep it from returning.
He has the correct lighting now and the correct vitamins and supplements that he needs, he doesn’t have the correct cage rn because they are expensive but My dad and I are planning on building one that is huge and well ventilated like the ones in retail. The cage should be 3ft*1.5 ft* 2.5 ft when we build it. The only incorrect things he has rn is the cage and a properly varied diet bc he can’t eat most things. Like I mentioned before, we took him to the vet and got liquid calcium supplements and Vitamin shots as well as some gell for his eye because it wasn’t doing well at the time. We are trying our best to keep it from worsening but he has such a secure case that it will never leave him like a normal healthy Cham.

He has the correct lighting now and the correct vitamins and supplements that he needs, he doesn’t have the correct cage rn because they are expensive but My dad and I are planning on building one that is huge and well ventilated like the ones in retail. The cage should be 3ft*1.5 ft* 2.5 ft when we build it. The only incorrect things he has rn is the cage and a properly varied diet bc he can’t eat most things. Like I mentioned before, we took him to the vet and got liquid calcium supplements and Vitamin shots as well as some gell for his eye because it wasn’t doing well at the time. We are trying our best to keep it from worsening but he has such a secure case that it will never leave him like a normal healthy Cham.
What supplements are you giving him?

It is still suggested to supplement with a calcium PLUS D3.

You could try house flies or blue bottle flies as well. They’re soft and they usually help with stimulating a feeding response
Yeah it is calcium plus D3 in the container together, but I didn’t think it would be enough to make a huge difference. But yeah a moth flew in there one time and that was the best feeding response I’ve ever gotten from him, where would I be able to get the flys if you know?

Back
Top Bottom