Maybe we should all eat silkworms?

https://exoprotein.com/blogs/nutrition/cricket-flour

I definitely think that eating insects will be what everyone eats in the future. Think about it. Instead of taking up so much horizontal space on the ground for livestock, you could have a skyscraper or a bunker in the ground where you have crickets, or other insects, crammed together in dark spaces in which they don't mind at all (and actually prefer). We could ethically raise complete proteins in mass quantities in dark spaces. What is often considered unethical for livestock such as cows and pigs is a dream come true for crickets.

But back to your topic, I think eating silkworms would definitely be interesting to slurp down. I'm not a fan of eating bugs, but I could see them grounded into a paste or something. I wonder if they release tons of greenhouse gases?

I must admit, I haven't read the articles you posted yet (but I do plan to). The topic of eating bugs is definitely an interesting one, so I thought I'd respond to your post before getting frozen yogurt with my family 😁

I know you're probably joking, but eating them would deactivate/destroy the serrapeptase's benefits. The article says it needs to be extracted and coated in order to release in the intestine. I'm sure you read this kin, but for anyone that wants a quick summary 🙂. Interesting though!

Makes me think of all of the random things nature creates, which people turn into supplements. There are so many from mushrooms(big one now, lions mane is even tempting for someone like me with a degenerative muscle/nerve disease) to curcumin, and cockroach milk, and thousands of others. Most of these things have very little studies to back them, usually one positive and then companies go wild blowing up their life changing medical properties. Even chiropractics are mostly made up nonsense. Marketing is so powerful, it's easy to get obsessed with all the supplements out there... and trust me, I'm one of them, I love trying/taking supplements and have a cabinet full of them!

I definitely think that eating insects will be what everyone eats in the future. Think about it. Instead of taking up so much horizontal space on the ground for livestock, you could have a skyscraper or a bunker in the ground where you have crickets, or other insects, crammed together in dark spaces in which they don't mind at all (and actually prefer). We could ethically raise complete proteins in mass quantities in dark spaces. What is often considered unethical for livestock such as cows and pigs is a dream come true for crickets.

But back to your topic, I think eating silkworms would definitely be interesting to slurp down. I'm not a fan of eating bugs, but I could see them grounded into a paste or something. I wonder if they release tons of greenhouse gases?

I must admit, I haven't read the articles you posted yet (but I do plan to). The topic of eating bugs is definitely an interesting one, so I thought I'd respond to your post before getting frozen yogurt with my family 😁

It is funny that we are totally okay eating crabs/lobster/shrimp, but not bugs(in the US and a lot of western culture at least). More people do eat snails, I've had them, not bad, but they're not a widespread meal. It could easily change though, there was a time not too long ago lobster was considered trash and even fed to prisoners because no one else wanted to eat it.

I'd be open to eating some bugs if they made it into a protein powder that didn't taste too bad, I'd chug it down 🤷🏻‍♂️

What?? I get no frozen yogurt and you don't even read my articles?? I'm deeply saddened....and it's so hot here....and I'm out of ice cream...and my car needs boosting....and I have no airconditioning. Sigh... :(

Last edited:
@jamest0o0 said..."I know you're probably joking, but eating them would deactivate/destroy the serrapeptase's benefits. The article says it needs to be extracted and coated in order to release in the intestine. I'm sure you read this kin, but for anyone that wants a quick summary 🙂. Interesting though! "... It said...
"No silkworms are harmed or even utilized to make serrapeptase for dietary use, as the enzyme is created from a fermentation process of the Serratia Marcescens bacteria"...so you're right ...we need to collect the bacteria!

@jamest0o0 said..."degenerative muscle/nerve disease"...so sorry hear that. Sigh.

@jamest0o0 said..."I'd be open to eating some bugs if they made it into a protein powder that didn't taste too bad, I'd chug it down"... That's about the only way I'd eat them too...as a flour or powder.

Makes me think of all of the random things nature creates, which people turn into supplements. There are so many from mushrooms(big one now, lions mane is even tempting for someone like me with a degenerative muscle/nerve disease) to curcumin, and cockroach milk, and thousands of others. Most of these things have very little studies to back them, usually one positive and then companies go wild blowing up their life changing medical properties. Even chiropractics are mostly made up nonsense. Marketing is so powerful, it's easy to get obsessed with all the supplements out there... and trust me, I'm one of them, I love trying/taking supplements and have a cabinet full of them!
I agree, companies/people looking for a profit often utilize unethical marketing to spread the word of the newest "superfood" or supplement that can cure death itself or make the sin of gluttony lose weight. People are all too eager to consume something they know nothing about.

Haha, I've never heard of cockroach milk before, but it's exactly as I would imagine it to be lol. I'd shrink myself down and become a humble cockroach milk farmer. Kind of reminds me of the buggalo from futurama.
1623041497473.png
1623041515686.png

It is funny that we are totally okay eating crabs/lobster/shrimp, but not bugs(in the US and a lot of western culture at least). More people do eat snails, I've had them, not bad, but they're not a widespread meal. It could easily change though, there was a time not too long ago lobster was considered trash and even fed to prisoners because no one else wanted to eat it.

I'd be open to eating some bugs if they made it into a protein powder that didn't taste too bad, I'd chug it down 🤷🏻‍♂️
Totally! It's bizarre that people are totally fine eating an elongated spider-like water creature and even cracking open the shell over their dinner plate with no problem at all, yet eating a cricket is totally disgusting. Shrimp are probably even more insect-looking and that's in every salad at the grocery store! Now it's time to hire a marketing team and do the same for crickets!

Cricket powder in a protein bar or fruit smoothie wouldn't be bad at all. Though I imagine some people getting pretty creative and making bread or pizza crust with it. I don't know, seems like you could really put cricket powder/flour in anything. Perhaps cricket brownies or something haha

I agree, companies/people looking for a profit often utilize unethical marketing to spread the word of the newest "superfood" or supplement that can cure death itself or make the sin of gluttony lose weight. People are all too eager to consume something they know nothing about.

Haha, I've never heard of cockroach milk before, but it's exactly as I would imagine it to be lol. I'd shrink myself down and become a humble cockroach milk farmer. Kind of reminds me of the buggalo from futurama.
View attachment 303092View attachment 303093

Totally! It's bizarre that people are totally fine eating an elongated spider-like water creature and even cracking open the shell over their dinner plate with no problem at all, yet eating a cricket is totally disgusting. Shrimp are probably even more insect-looking and that's in every salad at the grocery store! Now it's time to hire a marketing team and do the same for crickets!

Cricket powder in a protein bar or fruit smoothie wouldn't be bad at all. Though I imagine some people getting pretty creative and making bread or pizza crust with it. I don't know, seems like you could really put cricket powder/flour in anything. Perhaps cricket brownies or something haha
Oh wow, forgot about the buggalo!

Speaking of silkworms, another one is mulberry leaves. They have compounds that are said to help diabetes by reducing blood sugar.... or something like that. Now people take them as a weightloss supplement... not that these things don't have uses, but it's easy to overlook the word *supplement* and take it as a miracle cure.

@kinyonga I'm assuming that cockroach milk lacks lactose? Or do all animal milks have lactose? I won't put the burden on you to look it up. I'll put in some time to research it and post it below.

Speaking of silkworms, another one is mulberry leaves. They have compounds that are said to help diabetes by reducing blood sugar.... or something like that. Now people take them as a weightloss supplement... not that these things don't have uses, but it's easy to overlook the word *supplement* and take it as a miracle cure.
What was intended to be a cane to aid with walking has now become a bionic leg that can make you jump higher and run faster. Or at least that's how I see how the word "supplement" is marketed these days. The meaning of the word has changed into something it is not. It's supposed to be something that can top-off your vitamin storages but it's not supposed to be the primary source. You definitely bring up great examples of this.

Okay...so according to Google, I'm clinically stupid. Apparently, all mammals have lactose in their milk, but this does not apply to non-mammals.

"Because cockroach milk is a nondairy product, it’s naturally lactose-free. This means it could be a suitable alternative for people with lactose intolerance or an allergy to cow’s milk."
(https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cockroach-milk-nutrition)

"...all milk from mammals contains lactose."
(https://www.everydayhealth.com/dige...eep, or buffalo,your morning cereal or coffee.)

Okay...so according to Google, I'm clinically stupid. Apparently, all mammals have lactose in their milk, but this does not apply to non-mammals.

"Because cockroach milk is a nondairy product, it’s naturally lactose-free. This means it could be a suitable alternative for people with lactose intolerance or an allergy to cow’s milk."
(https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cockroach-milk-nutrition)

"...all milk from mammals contains lactose."
(https://www.everydayhealth.com/dige...eep, or buffalo,your morning cereal or coffee.)
You did good! :)

I have not eaten meat going on 40 years now, or seafood. I am vegetarian, get my protein & vitamins from vegetables & beans. It was no struggle to give up & I cannot remember what meat tastes like. I am 75 years old & have a Full Blood Test once a year, everything O.K. Go to my Doctor for a Vit. B12 injection every 3 months. I went in May & Doc. always looks at my File Records. I felt so good when she told me I am very healthy for a 75 year old. Very interesting to hear if any of you Chameleon lovers are Vegetarian?

Back
Top Bottom