Maybe mouth rot

Hi I’m new here. I’ve had my Chameleon for about a month and I’ve had her since she was little. This morning I noticed she had the little black dots on her neck and dumps in both sides as well. I don’t know if it’s mouth rot or what but I’m worried and I want to do everything I can to make sure she’s okay

Attachments

• E0B4BDE5-C9CE-41D1-8AA6-7C9198ED8BAE.jpeg
    E0B4BDE5-C9CE-41D1-8AA6-7C9198ED8BAE.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 130
Does she have a red heat bulb? Could you post some clear pics of her mouth as well, please? The dots are most likely bruises or dirt but there is something on her mouth as well.

Does she have a red heat bulb? Could you post some clear pics of her mouth as well, please? The dots are most likely bruises or dirt but there is something on her mouth as well.
She has a red basking light. I had to get a red one Bc the last one burned out. I don’t know if the dots are bruises because when I took her in the shower with me today some showed up on the other side then went away. Maybe it’s due to stress but I’m just worried about the bumps and the stain on her bottom lip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 119
She has a red basking light. I had to get a red one Bc the last one burned out. I don’t know if the dots are bruises because when I took her in the shower with me today some showed up on the other side then went away. Maybe it’s due to stress but I’m just worried about the bumps and the stain on her bottom lip
Red lights are no good, you want a white light. Regular household incandescent bulbs work great, are cheap, and last longer (and cause fewer burns) than reptile bulbs. I have no idea about the dots, so someone else will have to chime in on that. Do not take her in the shower though! It causes more stress and can be dangerous to chams! Could you get a closer pic of the thing on her lip please? Filling out this form in as much detail as possible, including adding pics of her, her lights, and her full cage-lights to bottom, will help as well. I have no experience with mouthrot or anything so I can’t be much more help than this. @Beman @kinyonga @JacksJill and others will be better help than me.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Red lights are no good, you want a white light. Regular household incandescent bulbs work great, are cheap, and last longer (and cause fewer burns) than reptile bulbs. I have no idea about the dots, so someone else will have to chime in on that. Do not take her in the shower though! It causes more stress and can be dangerous to chams! Could you get a closer pic of the thing on her lip please? Filling out this form in as much detail as possible, including adding pics of her, her lights, and her full cage-lights to bottom, will help as well. I have no experience with mouthrot or anything so I can’t be much more help than this. @Beman @kinyonga @JacksJill and others will be better help than me.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
And @jannb as well!

I don't see mouth rot from these pics.

The dots though... Look like bruising or scratches... And even a bit like little bite marks... Are you releasing feeders like crickets in the cage to run free?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - high White translucent veiled Chameleon, female, about a month.
  • Handling - 1 to 2 times a week.
  • Feeding - Crickets, meal worms, horn worms, and I just started giving her wax worms today but I only give her one. I feed her in the morning and I put about 2 meal worms, 4 crickets, and 1 horn worm a week. I feed my crickets, meal worms, and horn worms carrots and lettuce.
  • Supplements - Zoo meds Reptivite reptile vitamins
  • Watering - I have a dripper system and I must her cage 4 to 5 times a day. I see her drinking water from the dripper at least once or twice a day.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown poo and white urin
  • History - No.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - It is a glass hexagon shape. 19.1”L x 16.6”W x 22.4”H. 20 gallon.
  • Lighting - I don’t remember the brand but they are both white lights I am using a red light right now just till I get the new UVB bulb that is going to be here at 7. I turn her UVB bulb off at 8pm and turn it on at 8am.
  • Temperature - Her temperature usually stays between 80’ and 90’ at night it stays between 70’ and 80’. I wake up in the middle of the night to feed my son so I just check when I wake up.
  • Humidity - Her humidity stays between 50 and 60. I have a spray bottle I use to keep her humidity up through out the day. When I’m not home I have my dad check on her.
  • Plants - I have two live plants and 3 fakes. I’m going to be building her new cage in the next few months. I’ll have my vines ready by then.
  • Placement - I have her in the middle of my room. No one is ever in my room besides me or my dad. I don’t want to stress her out too much. There are no vents or anything by her cage. She’s about 4 feet off the ground.
  • Location - United States

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
I’m only using the red light for a few more minutes till my dad gets home I’ve only been using the red light since this morning.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - high White translucent veiled Chameleon, female, about a month.
  • Handling - 1 to 2 times a week.
  • Feeding - Crickets, meal worms, horn worms, and I just started giving her wax worms today but I only give her one. I feed her in the morning and I put about 2 meal worms, 4 crickets, and 1 horn worm a week. I feed my crickets, meal worms, and horn worms carrots and lettuce.
  • Supplements - Zoo meds Reptivite reptile vitamins
  • Watering - I have a dripper system and I must her cage 4 to 5 times a day. I see her drinking water from the dripper at least once or twice a day.
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown poo and white urin
  • History - No.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - It is a glass hexagon shape. 19.1”L x 16.6”W x 22.4”H. 20 gallon.
  • Lighting - I don’t remember the brand but they are both white lights I am using a red light right now just till I get the new UVB bulb that is going to be here at 7. I turn her UVB bulb off at 8pm and turn it on at 8am.
  • Temperature - Her temperature usually stays between 80’ and 90’ at night it stays between 70’ and 80’. I wake up in the middle of the night to feed my son so I just check when I wake up.
  • Humidity - Her humidity stays between 50 and 60. I have a spray bottle I use to keep her humidity up through out the day. When I’m not home I have my dad check on her.
  • Plants - I have two live plants and 3 fakes. I’m going to be building her new cage in the next few months. I’ll have my vines ready by then.
  • Placement - I have her in the middle of my room. No one is ever in my room besides me or my dad. I don’t want to stress her out too much. There are no vents or anything by her cage. She’s about 4 feet off the ground.
  • Location - United States
So there is a lot wrong, sadly. Please read through through these links and images (especially every module and the veiled species profile, as well as listen to as many podcasts as possible, from The Chameleon Academy, as they have the most accurate and up-to-date info!):
https://www.chameleons.info/en/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Do you have any pics of her enclosure?

Sorry, here’s the images!

Attachments

• AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 82
  • chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 85
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 80
So this morph will actually change their colors as they mature.... I am not sure if that is what is going on with the tan color below babies lip. But that is what it looks like to me. Mouth rot does not look like that. Now the black spots looks like bruising.

Mine when I first got him. Notice the tan color on his head and face.

This was the end of October tan color is going away and changing to white and black.

End of December all tan is gone.

Sorry, here’s the images!
Oh my god... I feel horrible... I’ll be going shopping tomorrow for sure. I’m always just so worried about giving her everything she needs. The people I got her from said the meal worms were good for her and all the websites I looks at said so as well. I feel so clueless to everything😔

So this morph will actually change their colors as they mature.... I am not sure if that is what is going on with the tan color below babies lip. But that is what it looks like to me. Mouth rot does not look like that. Now the black spots looks like bruising.

Mine when I first got him. Notice the tan color on his head and face.

This was the end of October tan color is going away and changing to white and black.

End of December all tan is gone.
He’s beautiful..

Oh my god... I feel horrible... I’ll be going shopping tomorrow for sure. I’m always just so worried about giving her everything she needs. The people I got her from said the meal worms were good for her and all the websites I looks at said so as well. I feel so clueless to everything😔
As long as you take initiative and get the needed changes done, that’s what matters! Sadly, almost everywhere has incorrect info. If you want someone to go step-by-step through your husbandry form, just let us know!

You said..."just worried about the bumps and the stain on her bottom lip"... Are you talking about the lumps just below where the upper and lower jaw joins...those are normal for a veiled chameleon. As for the stain...not sure what that could be but mouth rot normally shows up right along the edge of the lips.

Back
Top Bottom