Marmoset finger monkey

I am pretty sure you have already read this link.
Has some nice information.

https://www.neprimateconservancy.org/common-marmoset.html

Even though you are already working with a breeder it is always important to look and learn beyond their interests.
Just like chameleons--not everyone likes them. I don't get it but accept it. (y)
I read it, thank you. I’m just scared because I read that mo key can have a lot of diseases like hepatitis B and so on. I dont want to get her and then find out she has something that is bad for humans (for me) and I cant believe him on his words that she’s clean..

Very understandable and SMART- It is actually great you are thinking this way and not going into having one because you can.

I always worry about other people getting sick from my critters. I would hate the guilt so have changed my ways and get less.

JMO: Sometimes we talk ourselves out of getting what we want using logical arguments.

There are a few rescues in Florida that have so many capuchin monkeys because they were famous in movies. Just the name Finger Monkey is exciting, but maybe not practical.
Thanks for your sharing too. (y)

I agree but couldn’t you say the same thing about chameleons?
Absolutely, but to be clear, are you comparing captive reptiles vs. primates?
  • IME, reptiles are (relatively) slow-moving, content to bask most of their days, and require no social interaction (i.e. they do better solitary).
  • Domesticated animals (cats & dogs) are a little faster, require considerably more stimulation, and being social animals, some interaction with their own or other species.
  • Primates are quick, even more intelligent and more social, requiring (near) constant stimulation and interaction.

I’m considering getting marmoset monkey. Any of you guys have experience with monkeys?
None. But just from the Wiki page (which includes a section on keeping them As pets), some questions arise...

Generally, a pygmy marmoset's life span is from 15 to 20 years, they are known to have a shorter life in the wild mainly because they fall off of trees.​
Well... I wasn't expecting that as the main reason... 🤪

Another expense for these creatures as pets is the necessary essentials in order to maintain them. Creating an environment similar to that of where they are from is important.[34] For food, these creatures as pets are often fed fruits, insects, and smaller lizards.[35] As pets, a baby pygmy marmoset needs to be fed every two hours for at least two weeks.​
Keep your reptile enclosures locked & primate-proof!
Is that every two hours round the clock? :eek: Probably just wait until they're past that phase.
In the United States, each state has different regulations when it comes to owning one of these creatures.​
I suppose this applies to some other regions of the world as well, just as it does with certain species of chameleons, etc.

Another factor that needs to be considered is that a regular veterinarian might not be able to help provide medical evaluations or care; one would need to seek out a veterinarian with a primate specialization.​
REALLY good point, IMO.

Many people do not agree that pygmy marmosets should be pets.[34] The argument is usually that they have a longer life span when they are in good care from a human.[35] However, the UK RSPCA says they should "not be considered as pets in the accepted sense of the word. They are wild undomesticated animals that cannot be house-trained or fully tamed".​

How can you provide the sap they require?

Breeder will give me
What if—for any reason—that supply line fails? :unsure:

But these monkeys are born in captivity and are already for sale… It’s just the question now how much care are they going to get..
Sounds like the ubiquitous argument for saving buying a chameleon from Pet—.

By participating in the trade of these animals, consumers are simply funding international crime rings that profit from the sale of illegal wildlife. In fact, the illegal trade in live animals and their body parts is often said to be the third largest illegal business behind drugs and weapons. So if you see anyone selling something they shouldn’t be, don’t buy it off them thinking you’re saving the poor animal. You're simply supplying the trade.
https://www.4apes.com/news/item/138...no-pygmy-marmosets-are-not-cool-new-accessory

Also just came across these...
https://onurbicycle.com/2020/05/08/pygmy-marmoset-guide/
https://petkeen.com/do-marmoset-monkeys-make-good-pets/

I think they are really interesting animals! I don’t have any experience with them, but if you do get one keep us updated because this is really fascinating. In a logic class I take we did a practice that helps with Chossing the right option. First, write the decision that you have to make at the top of a grid. Label one side "Pros" and the other "Cons." Then, list the positive consequences of the decision in the pros column, and all the negative in the cons column. Now think about the points that you've written down, and write a positive or negative value to each one. For example, a score of +5 may be strongly loved, while -1 may be mildly loved. Once you've finished, add up the scores in each column, and subtract the total cons from the total pros. A positive overall score indicates that you should go ahead with the decision, while a negative one suggests you should not do ut. That’s what I would do imo

I think they are really interesting animals! I don’t have any experience with them, but if you do get one keep us updated because this is really fascinating. In a logic class I take we did a practice that helps with Chossing the right option. First, write the decision that you have to make at the top of a grid. Label one side "Pros" and the other "Cons." Then, list the positive consequences of the decision in the pros column, and all the negative in the cons column. Now think about the points that you've written down, and write a positive or negative value to each one. For example, a score of +5 may be strongly loved, while -1 may be mildly loved. Once you've finished, add up the scores in each column, and subtract the total cons from the total pros. A positive overall score indicates that you should go ahead with the decision, while a negative one suggests you should not do ut. That’s what I would do imo
It’s a pretty simple practice but helps a lot imo

I think I will not take her.. It’s too much time and devour. Amd she is all grown up and they say she’s younger than 1 year but I cant know that. And I cant test her for diseases because she’s illegal in Serbia. Instead I think I will get one more panther male and female..
That should be enough, but I think you're making the right decision regardless.

Back
Top Bottom