Maple leaves for stickbugs

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
My stickbugs loved oakleaves, but being the Canadian that I am, the only thing that can grow here is maple leaves. So anyway, I offered stickbugs some maple leaves and they gobbled them up. I've never heard of people using maple leaves before for phasmids, but that would make life much easier. Thoughts on this?

Not it... but I've successfully used both Sycamore and Hibiscus! Hibiscus is in pretty much in everything I do and keep. Takes a while for it to wilt, fairly nutritious, and quite common!

I can't comment directly on the nutritional value of a maple leaf... but if it's anything like the syrup...?!

If you're just using it to raise them (as opposed to a gutload), whatever you can get them to eat is a win.

Canadian? Thought you were in PA?

I thought he was Mexican! I don't know WHAT to believe anymore!

I had accidentally given mine gum leaves (I think), mistaking them for red oak. They died shortly afterwards and I thought it was a result of the wrong food, however, ALL my pink wing adults die rather quickly.... so I am second guessing if that was really what did them in. I stick to oak as I have easy access to it, and its easy to gather their acorns... but I'd love to expand their diet. Adding rose, hibiscus, and raspberry in spring (John killed all my raspberry).

I thought he was Mexican! I don't know WHAT to believe anymore!

I had accidentally given mine gum leaves (I think), mistaking them for red oak. They died shortly afterwards and I thought it was a result of the wrong food, however, ALL my pink wing adults die rather quickly.... so I am second guessing if that was really what did them in. I stick to oak as I have easy access to it, and its easy to gather their acorns... but I'd love to expand their diet. Adding rose, hibiscus, and raspberry in spring (John killed all my raspberry).

Raspberry is like a weed haha how did he kill that!

I'm as Canadian as the sky is green

What kind of stick bugs?

I keep Vietnamese Sticks and am quickly running out of oak leaves haha

What kind of stick bugs?

I keep Vietnamese Sticks and am quickly running out of oak leaves haha

Australian sticks and D. Gigantea. I was having the same problem, I have rose/raspberry/oak/blackberry, but not a ton of each readily available and I have to put a lot away for winter. Those d gigantea eat a TON

Australian sticks and D. Gigantea. I was having the same problem, I have rose/raspberry/oak/blackberry, but not a ton of each readily available and I have to put a lot away for winter. Those d gigantea eat a TON

I've heard! Have you tried schefflera or romaine with them? I've read that some species (not mine unfortunately) will eat Schefflera and supposedly vietnamese sticks will eat romaine, which will come in handy once the snow comes. It's all fun and games 'til the great freeze commences

I've heard! Have you tried schefflera or romaine with them? I've read that some species (not mine unfortunately) will eat Schefflera and supposedly vietnamese sticks will eat romaine, which will come in handy once the snow comes. It's all fun and games 'til the great freeze commences

Havent tried them! I've heard some are pickier than others. I also don't believe they need fresh leaves, mine seem to almost prefer the dry. Which kind of schefflera? I have amate

Havent tried them! I've heard some are pickier than others. I also don't believe they need fresh leaves, mine seem to almost prefer the dry. Which kind of schefflera? I have amate

Good question! Not totally sure. Usually I assume "arboricola" when I see Scheffs mentioned, but I also vastly prefer the amate variety. Way sturdier

Raspberry is like a weed haha how did he kill that!

I'm as Canadian as the sky is green
Guess that depends on whether colours are bonafide properties of objects, or relational properties that depend on the perceptual equipment of the viewer, as well as the stimulus. Or they might be sui generus properties that admit of no further explanation, or maybe sense data....? So I guess your Canadian-hood is still up in the air. Lol...sorry...being a d-bag philosopher.

Back
Top Bottom