Many Problems

SweetHeart

Since the day I got Mr. Green he has had problems with SOMETHING... But he hasn't eaten in days and I know I shouldn't But I was wondering if he doesn't it in the next few days if it would be necessary to force feed him... which wont be hard because the medicine Ive been giving him requires me to open him mouth which isn't hard. All I gotta do is touch his jaw and he opens it himself....I want to know other peoples thoughts about this. I really don't want to.... I have even tried different foods...

Fill this out to help us help you.

Also post pictures.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

What kind of problems has he had and what has been done to correct them?

If he willingly opens his mouth you shouldn't have to force feed him...just put an insect between his teeth while his mouth is open and he should eat it.

Did it already

I have done filled out like 3 of those reports and that change everytime but I just wanted to know if he I should make him eat lol

SweetHeart, I looked through your past posts to find out what his care is like.
What you may not know is that it was not all that many years ago when chameleons were considered almost impossible to keep alive for more than a few months.
The reason was that it was not known what they really needed in order to be healthy or even stay alive.
Now, much more is known but many people are given bad advice and sold the wrong things in even the well-known petstores---which really should know better and should at least provide accurate caresheets, but don't.

One of the main things to know is that chameleons have very little ability to live in conditions that are not nearly perfect.

They need certain temperatures, humidity, sprayed and dripped water, foliage for hiding and drinking from , UVB bulbs, basking bulbs, a variety of well-fed, nutritious feeder insects, cages that are very large compared to the size of the chameleon, very clean environments and supplement powders to ensure that none of the nutrients they need for health is missing.

I know that your cham has had a difficult time and that his care before getting to you was not very good.
If you give him the best possible care, hopefully he will regain his health and live a long, healthier life with you.
This caresheet is a good one to look over to ensure that everything is the way he needs it to be:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

It was mentioned that he may have or have had MBD.
He also went to the vet recently and had a hemipenis amputated.
Did the vet check him out and do anything to help overcome the MBD?
What parasite or parasites does your cham have? Which medication is he on?

Parasites rob nutrients from chams, weaken them, make them feel and become sick, stunt growth and can kill the animal.
It is necessary to get rid of the parasites for these reasons.
Some medications can cause a cham to lose his appetite but there may be other factors making him not feel like eating, also.
Ensuring that all of his care needs are the way they need to be will help him to heal.

Since you haven't filled-out a "how to ask for help", I'll tell you that there are or were some serious things wrong which have to be changed in order for your cham to hopefully recover and stay healthy--if you have not changed them already.

If he is still being kept in a 10 gallon tank, it is stressful for him and an unhealthy enclosure for a veiled cham.
You may already know that stress makes it easier to become ill and makes it far more difficult to recover from illness.
Hopefully, he has since been moved into a larger, mostly screened cage.

You said he has a ZooMed 120-100 MAX with a day and night light which is red. so during the day the temp is about 80-90 and at night like 70-80 more around 80 now since its summer

It seems like some very intense light for a small enclosure, which may be overheating him and causing health problems such as dehydration.
Also, chams should have 10-12 hours of total darkness AND they need a UVB light during the day when their basking light is on.

Calcium dust without any phosphorus or D3 is the most frequently used powder--typically every or almost every meal
Calcium with Vitamin D3 should only be used twice a month.
Too much D3 is bad, but some is needed.
Multivitamin powder is the same--2 times a month--not more often or it, too will cause health problems.

If you want to help his bones strengthen, Phoenixworms, silkworms and hornworms are all good calcium sources.
Crickets are high in phospshorus and relatively low in calcium, which is why they need to be dusted with plain, phosphorus-free, no D3 calcium powder.
(Important to know about hornworms is that you must only feed captive raised hornworms, since hornworms that have eaten tomato plant parts are poisonous to your cham.)
More about how to give your cham all the nutritients he requires:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

I don't have a clue about his humidity or basking temperatures, since they weren't listed--but you should definitely monitor those to be sure they're not too low or too high--and making your cham physically stressed.

If you look at the caresheet in the first link I posted, it tells you all you need to know about his care.

As Kinyonga said, if he opens his mouth willingly, then just drop a bug in.

Wishing you well and hope your cham recovers to have a happy, long life with you.

Unfortunately I don't have time to look through all your posts to see what you already posted so I can help you. This is why it's usually suggested that you continue to post in one thread when you are discussing the same chameleon's issues.

Lovereps has given you good advice.
Hope it works out!

Thanks a whole lot. Really wish u had got to me Sooner XD. Tons of people gave me advice but yours has been the best by far. Mr. Green has been doing a lot better. I got him a UvB 3 weeks ago too by the way. He still isn't eating yet like he should. I have been having to make him eat. He took his last doce of meds yesterday . Wish I knew what type of parasites he had but it was a long word. The doc said it was the worst he had seen and he didn't know how the little guy was still alive !!! Also u must b pretty dedicated by the way lol. The world really needs people like you. Sorry about the choppiness sort of typed what ever popped in my mind XD

Back
Top Bottom