Manuka honey

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
So anyone familiar with this, ever consider using it as an antibacterial ointment for wounds, burns, mouth rot, or just a preventative measure? Especially for cleaning out cham mouths that occasionally get inflammed?

I have no concerns atm, but was thinking it may have a place in a monthly mouth cleaning routine.

Curious to hear any of your thoughts!

I see many using Manuka Honey as mainly an external ointment or diluted in water to treat wounds, eyes, etc. I don't know if I'm 100% comfortable with it as an internal treatment due to the way the chameleon would metabolize the sugars, but I'm likely getting above my pay grade there...

Wait, come to think of it, I don't remember actually getting paid...

Oh bother... :unsure:

I see many using Manuka Honey as mainly an external ointment or diluted in water to treat wounds, eyes, etc. I don't know if I'm 100% comfortable with it as an internal treatment due to the way the chameleon would metabolize the sugars, but I'm likely getting above my pay grade there...

Wait, come to think of it, I don't remember actually getting paid...

Oh bother... :unsure:
Yea.. Getting payed often means you have to do something in return, I think that's where it goes wrong for you.:p

Yeah I was thinking if I ever used it for their mouths, I'd dilute it in water. I'm not familiar with how chameleons metabolize sugar, but ~1x a month lightly probably wouldn't cause issues?

So anyone familiar with this, ever consider using it as an antibacterial ointment for wounds, burns, mouth rot, or just a preventative measure? Especially for cleaning out cham mouths that occasionally get inflammed?

I have no concerns atm, but was thinking it may have a place in a monthly mouth cleaning routine.

Curious to hear any of your thoughts!

Excuse my ignorance, but this is the first time I hear about a monthly mouth cleaning routine for chameleons. :unsure:

Is this something I should be doing?

I've used plain honey to treat wounds in horses and dogs that were too big to be closed surgically. The results were fantastic and that was just with the kind in a bear shaped bottle. The manuka is supposed to have superior antibiotic properties.

Back
Top Bottom