Mantis?

I figured that so went looking and found male and female, so you will have to wait a little for me to get everyone ready and get some pictures.. Thanks!

Opps! What kind with determine the size.. Our local ones get about 3 to 4 inches. Male on the left and female on the right. Male has 8 segments on abdomen while the female only has 6. Usually the males wings are longer so trying to find out why this ones wings are so small--- What I recall is that once they get their wings in they no longer shed and grow it is reproduction time-- so might learn some new things today..

UPDATE! It is only 66 outside it will get to 94 but to early for them to eat.. Tried it but no interest this early... Sorry! But will update later today. (y)
Where are you located? Those both look female Stagmomantis sp.

I figured that so went looking and found male and female, so you will have to wait a little for me to get everyone ready and get some pictures.. Thanks!

Opps! What kind with determine the size.. Our local ones get about 3 to 4 inches. Male on the left and female on the right. Male has 8 segments on abdomen while the female only has 6. Usually the males wings are longer so trying to find out why this ones wings are so small--- What I recall is that once they get their wings in they no longer shed and grow it is reproduction time-- so might learn some new things today..

UPDATE! It is only 66 outside it will get to 94 but to early for them to eat.. Tried it but no interest this early... Sorry! But will update later today. (y)
Oh I only saw the first paragraph

Is the brown one female or male

I’m going to try to feed it rn

LOL Just remember you don't truly know where the mantis was and parasites it might have. So I would wait and do it as a treat or start buying ooths and raise them. Just my opinion.

There is a window of a few weeks to month when mantis are adults. Glad you enjoyed your learning lesson of the day..
I will probably just let the 2 I caught go, since I have other feeders to use. Hope you don't mind...
Have a great day!

LOL Just remember you don't truly know where the mantis was and parasites it might have. So I would wait and do it as a treat or start buying ooths and raise them. Just my opinion.

There is a window of a few weeks to month when mantis are adults. Glad you enjoyed your learning lesson of the day..
I will probably just let the 2 I caught go, since I have other feeders to use. Hope you don't mind...
Have a great day!
Yea I spent a week finding this one so I don’t know if I will find them very often it would be very fun to buy some ooths just gotta convince my dad..
And ofc I don’t mind if you let them go 😂 have a great day

Mantises can actually live for several months up to a year as adults if they're female! :) And depending on species. It's the males that have extremely short lifespans regardless of whether they're wild or captive.

I don't find them often in the wild anymore, but it definitely is always fun when one does find them!

Glad your chameleon got a fun new feeder :D

Darn! Had to compromise and let the female go but the male is gone also..heeheehee

This is Saul--
Pic 1-- spots it
Pic 2 -- looks at me watching him spotting mantis
Took video so not shown
Pic 3 is the head bite/kill
Pic 4 is the kill and admiring the mantis's beautiful wing display
Pic 5 is done with looking and getting down to business
Pic 6 Yummy!
Pic 7 is the happy female (y) :)

Attachments

• PXL_20210920_170704001.jpg
    PXL_20210920_170704001.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20210920_170712710.jpg
    PXL_20210920_170712710.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20210920_170744914.jpg
    PXL_20210920_170744914.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20210920_170749987.jpg
    PXL_20210920_170749987.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20210920_170754444.jpg
    PXL_20210920_170754444.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20210920_170758060.jpg
    PXL_20210920_170758060.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20210920_170411615.jpg
    PXL_20210920_170411615.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 65
Darn! Had to compromise and let the female go but the male is gone also..heeheehee

This is Saul--
Pic 1-- spots it
Pic 2 -- looks at me watching him spotting mantis
Took video so not shown
Pic 3 is the head bite/kill
Pic 4 is the kill and admiring the mantis's beautiful wing display
Pic 5 is done with looking and getting down to business
Pic 6 Yummy!
Pic is the happy female (y) :)
That’s awesome! I wish cf had vids

probably better it doesn't, I would be posting stuff all day. Frogs, toads, turtles, tortoise, outdoor wild lizards, insects, the list goes on. Plus trying to get a hummingbird to land on me, so next step is getting artificial flower with tube to put some sweet liquid for it to drink.
I can get the wild lizards to jump onto my shirt for a fat juicy cricket, which is new. Just have to have patience.

Thanks for your time- If you ever want me to chat with dad, I am probably much older, I can introduce him to the positive side of critters but will share the negative side too. Money, cleaning, time and effort, addictions, ohhhh did I mention MONEY? :LOL:
Have a great day!

probably better it doesn't, I would be posting stuff all day. Frogs, toads, turtles, tortoise, outdoor wild lizards, insects, the list goes on. Plus trying to get a hummingbird to land on me, so next step is getting artificial flower with tube to put some sweet liquid for it to drink.
😂 same

Thanks for your time- If you ever want me to chat with dad, I am probably much older, I can introduce him to the positive side of critters but will share the negative side too. Money, cleaning, time and effort, addictions, ohhhh did I mention MONEY? :LOL:
Have a great day!
That’s okay he doesnnt want me on my phone that much bc it’s basically only for when I watch my 4 siblings which is like 6 hours a day and he would find out I do it a little to much but my moms okay with me doing research and learning on here bc she wants me to be a vet surgeon too 😂 not that this is necessary going to help a ton a ton but

Wow! I didn't have the support or know how for what your doing.. That is why I am a little over chatty-- Late bloomer and didn't get a degree until I was 52 then masters in Education at 53--- now retired.. ha ha Love it!

Wow! I didn't have the support or know how for what your doing.. That is why I am a little over chatty-- Late bloomer and didn't get a degree until I was 52 then masters in Education at 53--- now retired.. ha ha Love it!
😂 it’s okay I’m very chatty too 😂 I always love a good chat and it doesn’t bother me 😂 I’m not that busy

Back
Top Bottom