Mantid Egg Cases

martyllian

How soon should these things be hatching? I have had 2 egg cases since last thursday, and neither one has hatched. One is in a bush outdoors, and one is in my Chameleon cage.

I am afraid I got some duds =/

Does the zipper have empty holes from the mantids hatching already?

If not, just be patient!! They will take their time. When they hatch you'll wish they would hatch slower!

Check out this thread if you'd like more info.

It may take a few weeks depending on when the female deposited the egg case, how the egg case was stored(if refridgerated, may take longer) and their current temperature.
If there are no fine-like threads coming from the case, they should be hatching soon.

Mine took exactly 15 days. I had to as well one hatched over night and I woke up to like 300 baby mantis. Beware they are escape artist and they JUMP. The next egg sack hatched 2 days later. Oh and they can climb ANY surface too:p

I've been hatching these for years, and this is the first time I had a case hatch 3 times! So don't throw them out after you think they've all hatched, there may be some more to come.
They are escape artists, I seem to find one here and there around the house. Then when you try to carry it back to the cage they just jump into space! I put some in my pygmy tank and one 2-3 day old was eating a 2 week old cricket, but my pyg was watching him and I think he had a 2 for 1 meal.
I hope the ones in the garden have better luck.
Now I'm waiting for the next case to hatch.

sorry to hijack
I had a plain pair of chinese mantids mate and there are two egg cases stuck to the inside of their former enclosure, which is in my chameleon room so never too cold even in winter. These egg cases have been there since this time last year. Didnt do anything to or for them. didnt get around to reading about what I should be doing with them.
Think they might hatch out someday this spring? Or do they need a cooldown period or anything like that?

They only take 6 to 8 weeks to hatch, and they do not need the dispause. So they are duds. For any u r watching outside, as long as the temps around them are in the low 70s they will hatch in 6 to 8 weeks, usually some will take longer than that, but much longer then consider them done.

I actually kept mantids and had one lay a fertilized egg case in the fall, and the egg case sat in my garage in cool temps (nothing above 55 F). Once the egg case is exposed to temps in the 60's and 70's, the babies will start pouring out.
:) Make sure they are in a cloth mesh cage or they will be EVERYWHERE :D

yesssss. this is a chameleon forum afterall:eek:

Wasn't planning on raising them for cat toys (though may keep one as a pet)

We have been trying to hatch several sacks for 3 years now (i.e. ones we plucked from outside in late fall) to no avail so I do know that it is easy to get duds. We finally got our first hatchlings about 3 weeks ago! A million little buggers that are eating like pigs and have tripled in size.

Back
Top Bottom