Male veiled casque deformities..?

neonate

Can anyone share any pic's of "bent casques" or deformities in male calyptratus...Does it cause problems for them? My little guy has an area at the front which looks like its either breaking away or rotting..hopefully not tho ..You can just about see "daylight" through it??? ill try to get pics in the morning hes asleep right now . Ive noticed that there are a few tiny crusts of unshed skin still attached up the front of the casque. Could this be causing it?:confused:

Can anyone share any pic's of "bent casques" or deformities in male calyptratus...Does it cause problems for them? My little guy has an area at the front which looks like its either breaking away or rotting..hopefully not tho ..You can just about see "daylight" through it??? ill try to get pics in the morning hes asleep right now . Ive noticed that there are a few tiny crusts of unshed skin still attached up the front of the casque. Could this be causing it?:confused:

Please post pictures and fill out the info below. I've seen pictures here on the forums of some male veileds with Deformities in their casques most of the time it's a burn issue.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Ok
Cage. 2'x3'x4' Solid enclosure with screen door, screen holes in side 1' in diameter and mesh ventilated top.

Lighting. Reptiglow 5.0 , 60w heat bulb both left on for 12 hrs a day

Heat. 23c at bottom 27c at top and basking spot 30c. Nightime drop of 10c mesured with thermostat and max-min thermometer.

Humidity. 85%

Plants. Pothos,Shefflera,ficus.

Location. Situated in spare room next to window.Top of viv 7ft from floor level.

Chameleon. Male veiled.

Handling.Once a week maybe

Feeding.Fed from feeder tub or jus thrown in if big enough. main diet crickets and locusts. Waxworms and morio worms offered twice a week. all food items are "lightly" dusted with calcium and vitamins. and gut-loaded prior to feeding.

Water. sprayed twice-three times a day with little dripper on constantly.

Fecal.Looks normal

No previous problems will post pics tommorrow (ill have to get close up and hes sleeping at the mo..

DSCF4807c.jpg

Here is a photo of Wolfgang, the bent-casque veiled. He is a rescue. When we got him he had the shriveled casque, burnt shoulders and eyelid burns, dehydration, and was underweight. His casque, of course, will not change. But the burns healed and his in great shape now. We have had him since summer/fall of 07.

He was kept in a screen and wood cage, but with a coil/spiral/compact flourescent UVB bulb rather than a tube shaped bulb. His lights, also, were too close to his perch.

Sounds like you might have a serious problem with your boy. Please do post those photos as soon as you can.

White shape is your UVB bulb? Long tube shape, or coiled?

I think you are going to need to put a better clearer pic up.....Maybe of the whole thing along with the close up

Ok heres his cage ....The basking bulb is about 9-10 inches from his basking limb.. sorry but my camera doesnt do close-ups to well.

cagee.jpg

Heres a better one you can see "daylight" through his casque.......:(

Attachments

• engle casque 33.jpg
    engle casque 33.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 318
Are the bulbs inside his cage?

He does have a burn going there. Looks like it is healing. You can still see some black tissue within the burned area, but mostly white. I would recommend you get some silvadene to put on it to try to salvage as much of that casque edge as you can. But silvadene is only available, as far as I know, by prescription from a vet. Perhaps someone else can chime in here, with more experience. To tell you whether it would be worth your while to get him to a vet, or if it would basically be a waste of time, money, and stress on him. Perhaps Nolvasan, available without prescription would be enough, just to keep the area from becoming infected?

It is possible that the damage is done, and you just need to adjust his lights, take careful temperature readings (at his casque-level) and monitor the wound. It looks like he is going to lose the front edge of his casque. I would imagine he is suffering some discomfort.

Last edited:
Also, I took a better look at your cage and I would definitely either raise that basking light, or lower his basking perch, whichever is more workable for you. They appear to be too close together, which is what would have caused the burn

I hate to think hes "suffering some discomfort" i was of the understanding they couldnt feel too much at all??? he still eating and drinking really well.. im going to get on the phone to the vet!!

your pic has at least the uvb bulb in it and loks like a basking lamp too...

by my rule of thumb i wouldn't put it within a foot of the lamp i would measure from the top of his casque to the light and make sure like i said it was at least 1 ft. thats just my opinion.

2mwgf40.jpg

Ok.................ive raised his lights but...The peice fell of the other day after going to the vet she said its nothing to worrie about. Infact she said he has what looks like a serious growth spurt going on and his small casque couldnt handle the speed it is growing there was no bone attached ,it was jus skin which is a good thing!!!:) She gave me "Tamodene" to put on it and its healing really well thanks for everyones help and thoughts on this matter ill post a pic soon ....its changed his look a little lol..;)

Back
Top Bottom