Male veiled age estimation

foxngn

Hi all,

Would like to get an opinion on the age of this male, it only been sold as juvenile chameleon but not sure the about the age.
I measured it about 5 inches excluded the tail which is curled up.

20220518-145218.jpg

Last edited:
Based on casque size and coloration, I’m going to estimate around 3-4 months old.

Thanks for the estimation.
I read that around this months old they should eat alot.

But usually mine would just ate about 4 - 5 dubia daily and it only ate dubia that is size about its mouth or smaller. It will ignore those that larger a bit.
Does this diet consider normal ?

Thanks for the estimation.
I read that around this months old they should eat alot.

But usually mine would just ate about 4 - 5 dubia daily and it only ate dubia that is size about its mouth or smaller. It will ignore those that larger a bit.
Does this diet consider normal ?
They eat tiny feeders at this age. You do no want to feed anything larger than 1/4 inch. And yes I would expect one this size to be eating easily 2 dozen feeders a day. How long have you had him? Was he being fed dubia prior? This may be the issue if he is used to something like crickets.

Based on being 5 inches in body length I am going to say somewhere right around 4 months old as well.

They eat tiny feeders at this age. You do no want to feed anything larger than 1/4 inch. And yes I would expect one this size to be eating easily 2 dozen feeders a day. How long have you had him? Was he being fed dubia prior? This may be the issue if he is used to something like crickets.

Based on being 5 inches in body length I am going to say somewhere right around 4 months old as well.

I did asked the store owner before this, he said he fed it a few crickets once per 2 days.
I got it by now is the second weeks, been feeding it with dubia daily. I don't really want to feed him with cricket,alternatively i want to get some BSFL.

I did asked the store owner before this, he said he fed it a few crickets once per 2 days.
I got it by now is the second weeks, been feeding it with dubia daily. I don't really want to feed him with cricket,alternatively i want to get some BSFL.
So I can understand not wanting to feed crickets... However this is going to depend on your baby. If it does not take to the new feeders then you will have to feed it what it knows. Typically the best way to transition a baby over to new feeders is to include those feeders it is already familiar with in the same feeder run or bowl. This way it identifies the new feeders as food. The store owner did not know how to care for it.

If you want to do a husbandry review let us know. This way we can review everything and ensure the store owner did not give you other incorrect info.

So I can understand not wanting to feed crickets... However this is going to depend on your baby. If it does not take to the new feeders then you will have to feed it what it knows. Typically the best way to transition a baby over to new feeders is to include those feeders it is already familiar with in the same feeder run or bowl. This way it identifies the new feeders as food. The store owner did not know how to care for it.

If you want to do a husbandry review let us know. This way we can review everything and ensure the store owner did not give you other incorrect info.

Noted with thanks.
I will prepare the husbandry sheet when ready.
My thoughts was lately it's been taking much more dubia then few days back. So my plan was to try this few days to increase the dubia feeders and see how much it will take per day before i place in the crickets.

One adult dubia equals 8-10 large crickets. One mid-sized nymph is about 5. Large nymph about 8. Small nymph about 3-5. Baby is 1-3.

I also did stumbled across this.
My dubia consists of mid size, large and small nymph. Which i will mix varieties of size for them to eat.
Which could mean that if i fed 5 mid size dubia could have been around 25 crickets per day? I don't know 🤷

Noted with thanks.
I will prepare the husbandry sheet when ready.
My thoughts was lately it's been taking much more dubia then few days back. So my plan was to try this few days to increase the dubia feeders and see how much it will take per day before i place in the crickets.

I also did stumbled across this.
My dubia consists of mid size, large and small nymph. Which i will mix varieties of size for them to eat.
Which could mean that if i fed 5 mid size dubia could have been around 25 crickets per day? I don't know 🤷
So you can most definitely add more dubia. In fact I would to see if baby starts taking down more feeders. This is an important age where a lot of their growth occurs so they need the food. But you can not feed anything larger than the width between babies eyes. This is why we say 1/4 inch sized feeders. Not only are larger feeders harder to get down but if they do get them down they can regurgitate them back up. Then there is the fact that most babies will not go after larger feeders. They know that they are too big.

Now as to the info you found on dubia... I do not follow that type of guide with babies. Yes dubia have more protein and fat but if you look at actual break downs of this it typically is double that of an equivalent sized cricket. Still I do not follow this line of thinking. When I have young ones they are basically given as much as they want within that first few months until they reach about 8 months old. Anywhere from 2-3 dozen feeders a day. They will start to curb their eating as they start getting older. I follow how they respond. If they curb down to 18 a day then that is what I feed. I do not start sizing up feeders until they are an adequate size to handle larger feeders. Which typically is more around the 6-7 month old point and even then I do not go bigger than 1/2 inch for them. Bigger is not better.

I was going to say about 4-5 months old and that he is ready to molt and his colors are going to start coming in. mine is that age and eats abput 10-12 small to medium crickets a day and or 8 large ones plus i put out a variety bowl with bsfl small mealworms and use wax worms as treats. The bsfl is packed with calcium.

While dubia are great staple feeders, variety is best. Feeding only or primarily roaches can potentially lead to some health issues, as my vet has told me. Crickets do suck, but at times they are necessary. Bsfl are great. One of my favorite feeders is silkworms and you can get small ones that baby will be able to manage.

Noted with thanks, everyone.
I'll give a day or 2 to monitor it's diet, if it's weren't able to chomp down double size of feeders, i'll get some crickets for it's taste.

My male cham just turned 61\2 months and just molted and yellow is coming in. heres a pic to compare

Attachments

• received_1088958865020219.jpeg
    received_1088958865020219.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom