Male Veild rejecting female.

gwilliams

Hi everyone -

I always come and read the Q&A here - but have never posted.... so let's see...

I have a male Veild around a year and a female veild at a year old as well -

The female is receptive and is showing colors of wanting to breed - so when we put her in the males cage - he gets super "tall" and opens & closes his tail - he completely rejects her -

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!
Glenna

First off how long are you leaving them together? When he's curling and uncurling his tail he's not rejecting her. That and head bobbing are part of the mating ritual. Put them together and leave them. You should prob stay and keep watch. (You Perv) j/k lol Seriously, stay and watch to make sure they dont fight and that she's truly ready for him. But he will eventually make his way toward her and mount her. It may take 5 mins, it could take a cpl of days every male is diff. Trust me it will eventually happen.

also maybe try putting the male in her enclosure to see what happens, maybe hes taking her as a threat rather than potential mate???

Male Rejecting

Wow - thank you for that response, I had read somewhere that it was a sign of him rejecting her - so the minute he does that we take her out - which is pretty much in 30 seconds....

Also, what if she has her mouth gaped open?

It's interesting - I have a female Jackson that is preg & a female graceful that is PG as well - I just can't get these 2 veilds to work with me! LOL

Thanks again!

if she gapes her mouth shes not in the mood...just watch and wait, if shes receptive, he will make advances if its time, but always monitor them just incase..we never really know what they are saying to eachother..

Ive had females gape that were receptive. If shes gaping at him watch her color. If she remains in her pretty colors and doesnt turn black and start rocking back and forth shes receptive. shes just freaked out by the size of the male and shes basically telling him to back off til shes ready. Some males are so intimidating size wise and with the aggressiveness of their courting that they freak the female out. ;)

Just wait till the Male starts head butting the females.
That's a whole other world of shock.
Then you find it it's part of some of their mating rituals :eek:

Ive had females gape that were receptive. If shes gaping at him watch her color. If she remains in her pretty colors and doesnt turn black and start rocking back and forth shes receptive. shes just freaked out by the size of the male and shes basically telling him to back off til shes ready. Some males are so intimidating size wise and with the aggressiveness of their courting that they freak the female out. ;)

If she turns dark should she be removed from the male's presence immediately? Today I put them close to each other, she was outside his enclosure and he was inside it. They were about 6 inches apart, she stuck her chin out n rocked back n forth a couple of times. He just looked at her n then looked at me with a face that was probably saying "uhh what do u want me to do?" lmao! My female hates everyone and everything!

Finally!

Hi everyone! Thank you for the great replies -

Last night she didn't reject him... he moved slow and easy and she let him do his "business" - it was very interesting and quite the proud moment for us....

Also, when he was finished - she moved away - he followed her everywhere and it was really difficult to get her moved back to her enclosure - he wouldn't let us near her - we finally had to "distract" him and remove her -

But alas! Success!!

Glenna

2 Veilds, 2 Jacksons, 2 gracefuls, 2 Pygmy Leaf's, 1 panther :)

It is! :) we're so "proud" and Excited! I will keep updating as more news "comes"... thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom