Male Panther with eye problems

lojack13

I have a 1 year old Nosy Be male panther and he has been getting some eye build up as of late. About 3 days I went to feed him in the morning and his right eye was sealed shut. I took him out and used some warm water and a q-tip and he opened it right up. He has been fine the past few days but today the same eye has some gunk buildup around the lower part of his eye opening. I tried getting most of it out but couldn't quite get it all. His eye is open but he is very slightly squinting. I really don't see any swelling or redness, and the build up is clear looking. Sort of reminds me of the junk people can get in their eyes from time to time while sleeping. He also has an eye bulge in his left eye. He has had this for about a month now. This is nothing new though. He had a bulge in that same eye a few months back and ended up expelling the fluid by rubbing his eye on a branch ( i watched him do this ) I was told these eye bulges are a fluid build up that some chams get. Not sure if anyone wants to chime in on that or not. I guess my main question here is "What is a safe eye wash I can use on him for problems like this? Just an over the counter saline type ?" I really don't like using just water, especially our well water.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Not sure if this will help you,

But it'll give you an idea of what may be inside that eye bulge.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/wow-popped-out-crazy-thing-eye-long-story-106143/

Also take my advice in my thread. Extra mistings, hand mistings with hot water (comes out warm), saline drops 2x a day (got from vet), and warm q-tip to move the gunk out.

Thanks a ton for the reply! That thing you popped out of your Chams eye was crazy! I actually watched my cham get rid of his but it was not solid like that. Same color but liquefied. I bet you your chams eye gunk somehow got solidified over time. I have been told these eye bulges are like a build up of salt and calcium or something. Some chams just get them for some reason. My female panther has never had a problem like that. Anyway, I'll get right on the extra mistings, etc. and see if he can't get rid of this eye booger too. Thanks again!

Yup no problem.

Try that method for a good 2 weeks. If nothing clears up I really suggest you taking your cham to the vet for a check up. I'm sure your local herp vet will tell you to do what i've done and give you some eye drops.

Or, your vet will do an eye flush which is what i'd want to do if my cham continues to have problems.

Back
Top Bottom