Male panther digging?

Robyn.lux

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 7.5 months old, been with me around 12 weeks.
Handling - Unless needed, never.
Feeding - gut loaded crickets, locust, occasionally superworms. Dusted with with calcium daily and D3 every other week and multivitamin every other week..
Watering - Hand misting x2 a day and dripper.
Fecal Description - Brown, slick but solid. Whiten urate.

Cage Type - 60x45x90 exo terra glass (recently moved from a 90x45x90 due to heating issues and old one wouldn't fit in my bedroom, moved him because he always stressed in my living room) bioactive bottom.
Light Combo- 75w Arcadia halogen and t5 12% Arcadia UVB.
Temperature - Basking spot 30° ambient 24° and lowest is 18.9°
Humidity - Humidity gauge in tank, 60-70%
Plants - Ficus, pothos and umbrella plants. Some plastic ones.
Placement - Bedroom, low traffic, near no windows, vents etc, top of tank is over 6ft off the floor.
Location - England.

Basically, i changed his viv on Sunday, he's seemed okay but yesterday and today he has been digging in the front corner of the viv. He doesn't like being out or being handled.
He's been to the vets for a check so I know he is male.
I've been led to understand than males don't dig? So i am a little confused. He's not been eating so much, which I assume is because of the change of viv and location.
Can anyone shed any light?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 7.5 months old, been with me around 12 weeks.
Handling - Unless needed, never.
Feeding - gut loaded crickets, locust, occasionally superworms. Dusted with with calcium daily and D3 every other week and multivitamin every other week..
Watering - Hand misting x2 a day and dripper.
Fecal Description - Brown, slick but solid. Whiten urate.

Cage Type - 60x45x90 exo terra glass (recently moved from a 90x45x90 due to heating issues and old one wouldn't fit in my bedroom, moved him because he always stressed in my living room) bioactive bottom.
Light Combo- 75w Arcadia halogen and t5 12% Arcadia UVB.
Temperature - Basking spot 30° ambient 24° and lowest is 18.9°
Humidity - Humidity gauge in tank, 60-70%
Plants - Ficus, pothos and umbrella plants. Some plastic ones.
Placement - Bedroom, low traffic, near no windows, vents etc, top of tank is over 6ft off the floor.
Location - England.

Basically, i changed his viv on Sunday, he's seemed okay but yesterday and today he has been digging in the front corner of the viv. He doesn't like being out or being handled.
He's been to the vets for a check so I know he is male.
I've been led to understand than males don't dig? So i am a little confused. He's not been eating so much, which I assume is because of the change of viv and location.
Can anyone shed any light?
A couple of things, viv is too small, 12% is too much uvb, 6% is best

What are you gutloading with and how long are you misting for each session? Could you post a pic of his enclosure, please?

Based on what I've heard I think u should remove the substrate immediately, the fact that he shows so much interest in it could mean he is eating it or finding dead crickets or worms in there if he starts to lose appetite I think that could be a sign of a gut full of dirt I keep paper towels in the bottom of my enclosure, it ensures easy clean up and I always pick up dead crickets to make sure he isn't eating them. if it isn't a female there is no reason for him to have substrate in his cage anyways. i'd say to prevent any sort of digestive issues remove the substrate. Chameleons bask from above and your tank is an okay size (could be bigger) so there shoul be no reason for him to be digging but good luck with 0the little guy and I hope you find my advice helpful

Based on what I've heard I think u should remove the substrate immediately, the fact that he shows so much interest in it could mean he is eating it or finding dead crickets or worms in there if he starts to lose appetite I think that could be a sign of a gut full of dirt I keep paper towels in the bottom of my enclosure, it ensures easy clean up and I always pick up dead crickets to make sure he isn't eating them. if it isn't a female there is no reason for him to have substrate in his cage anyways. i'd say to prevent any sort of digestive issues remove the substrate. Chameleons bask from above and your tank is a good size so there shoul be no reason for him to be digging but good luck with the little guy and I hope you find my advice helpful
Panthers are fine with bioactive substrate, as long as he isn’t eating it, you’re fine. It’s veileds who shouldn’t have substrate. As long as your cham is healthy, it’s fine

Based on what I've heard I think u should remove the substrate immediately, the fact that he shows so much interest in it could mean he is eating it or finding dead crickets or worms in there if he starts to lose appetite I think that could be a sign of a gut full of dirt I keep paper towels in the bottom of my enclosure, it ensures easy clean up and I always pick up dead crickets to make sure he isn't eating them. if it isn't a female there is no reason for him to have substrate in his cage anyways. i'd say to prevent any sort of digestive issues remove the substrate. Chameleons bask from above and your tank is an okay size (could be bigger) so there shoul be no reason for him to be digging but good luck with 0the little guy and I hope you find my advice helpful
The enclosure is too small, an adult male panther needs 60 by 60 by 120 tall

yea in that case his cage is way too small panthers get 18 to 20 inches

A lot of folk in the UK have these vivs. I've not had choice due to heating issues could never use mesh. Had to downsize for that reason as well even in his glass it wasn't holding properly, he's still a juvenile as well.

A lot of folk in the UK have these vivs. I've not had choice due to heating issues could never use mesh. Had to downsize for that reason as well even in his glass it wasn't holding properly, he's still a juvenile as well.
What were your exact heating problems?

Viv and recent photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_083037.jpg
    IMG_20181030_083037.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom