Male panther digging?

Yes, but he’s close enough and was in a bigger viv, used to the extra space.

He never used the space. At all. Which is why I decided it would be safe to downsize, not only that he needed moving into my bedroom as being where he was was stressful and it never would've fit in my bedroom.
As for the substrate, I've never ever seen him eat it in the whole time I've had him.

Heating issues, couldn't get the heat right. That's it. It was too cold or too hold. Couldn't get them balanced, that was also due to the room he was in. A cavernous room, absolutely freezing all year round.

Attachments

• IMG_20181027_200429_148.jpg
    IMG_20181027_200429_148.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 74
Could the cat be stressing him out?

She's not normally in there. Another reason he's moved to my bedroom cause I figured the cat would be stressing him. He's been a lot more active and happy since he's been moved. I took this photo this morning, the cat followed me in, she got booted out seconds after this photo was taken haha.

He never used the space. At all. Which is why I decided it would be safe to downsize, not only that he needed moving into my bedroom as being where he was was stressful and it never would've fit in my bedroom.
As for the substrate, I've never ever seen him eat it in the whole time I've had him.

Heating issues, couldn't get the heat right. That's it. It was too cold or too hold. Couldn't get them balanced, that was also due to the room he was in. A cavernous room, absolutely freezing all year round.
Gorgeous guy! Did the old viv have enough branches and vines for him to use? Did you try a reptile thermostat for the heating issue?

Thanks. He needs more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere

No worries, I've just said to my partner about getting some trellis for the glass sides, cover them all in trellis. He has way more vines and what not than what is visable in the photo but yeah I could definitely get some from the forest, treat them and get them in there.

Gorgeous guy! Did the old viv have enough branches and vines for him to use? Did you try a reptile thermostat for the heating issue?

Yeah I had a both a dimmer stat hooked up to a basking spot and also a pulse set up to a ceramic.
I don't know why, but from day one I was having issues with that viv, not only that the placement was wrong, he could see the cat constantly, high traffic, cavernous room etc. Had tons of vines and what not.
I could definitely get some smaller sticks for this one. There are SO many vines. But as they say, there is always more space xD hahaha.
Honestly the change of viv was for all good reasons and I don't regret it, I just never knew of a male digging before.

Yeah I had a both a dimmer stat hooked up to a basking spot and also a pulse set up to a ceramic.
I don't know why, but from day one I was having issues with that viv, not only that the placement was wrong, he could see the cat constantly, high traffic, cavernous room etc. Had tons of vines and what not.
I could definitely get some smaller sticks for this one. There are SO many vines. But as they say, there is always more space xD hahaha.
Honestly the change of viv was for all good reasons and I don't regret it, I just never knew of a male digging before.
That’s weird with the heating. There IS always room for more vines, ha ha! Digging usually means they want out and don’t like something in their viv

You might want to start toying with the bigger viv you used to have him in so when he is bigger, you have the heating figured out

You might want to start toying with the bigger viv you used to have him in so when he is bigger, you have the heating figured out

He genuinely doesn't like being out of his viv though. It's so odd.
Could it not be that he needs a settling in period?
It was only on Sunday that I changed him over.
HE'S not lost any height or depth, just 30 cm of width. There is no way at all he can go back into his old viv. It simply will not fit in my bedroom and him being out in my living room was not working at all, too cold, too much foot traffic, too much cat.
I'm wondering if I can get creative in some way to make his viv taller before he gets to full size. Cause the mesh top can be removed and probably reattached to an extension.. Ill have to have a think.

He genuinely doesn't like being out of his viv though. It's so odd.
Could it not be that he needs a settling in period?
It was only on Sunday that I changed him over.
HE'S not lost any height or depth, just 30 cm of width. There is no way at all he can go back into his old viv. It simply will not fit in my bedroom and him being out in my living room was not working at all, too cold, too much foot traffic, too much cat.
I'm wondering if I can get creative in some way to make his viv taller before he gets to full size. Cause the mesh top can be removed and probably reattached to an extension.. Ill have to have a think.
I get it. That would be cool and probably start a trend if you could extend the height! Have you thought of putting pvc panels or spray foam on screen cage panels to insulate it? Those cages are shipped flat so they’d fit into your bedroom

I get it. That would be cool and probably start a trend if you could extend the height! Have you thought of putting pvc panels or spray foam on screen cage panels to insulate it? Those cages are shipped flat so they’d fit into your bedroom

I did think about it with the mesh vivs but I just don't know I feel comfortable knowing I have a cat. If she ever managed to get into the bedroom by accident or whatever whilst I'm not here, I don't know. I just don't feel okay about it.
I understand that height is better than width for chameleons anyway. So the only thing I can think to do is get a quote for a glass extension OR make a hybrid wood and mesh extension.
My dads pretty good with building shit so maybe he can help me out there.

It's not that the bigger one won't fit through my door it's that it literally has no place to go my bedroom is absolutely tiny. It has my bed. The chameleons viv and the thing it's stood on with my guitar on the wall and that's it. That's that will fit.

I did think about it with the mesh vivs but I just don't know I feel comfortable knowing I have a cat. If she ever managed to get into the bedroom by accident or whatever whilst I'm not here, I don't know. I just don't feel okay about it.
I understand that height is better than width for chameleons anyway. So the only thing I can think to do is get a quote for a glass extension OR make a hybrid wood and mesh extension.
My dads pretty good with building shit so maybe he can help me out there.

It's not that the bigger one won't fit through my door it's that it literally has no place to go my bedroom is absolutely tiny. It has my bed. The chameleons viv and the thing it's stood on with my guitar on the wall and that's it. That's that will fit.
Adult males can get over 45 long, so they need a little bit of room to roam and turn around. A custom cage would be cool!

Adult males can get over 45 long, so they need a little bit of room to roam and turn around. A custom cage would be cool!

I mean, even in the bigger one I had, it's still only 45cm deep anyway so depth wise it wouldn't make a bit of difference. I'm already measuring up the room height and stuff now. I'm thinking wood sides and back, mesh front so way more airflow.
Ohhh, new project. Fun. I'll give him a good month to settle into his new space and then extend upwards. Amazing.
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. For now I'll go stick hunting and add more trellis for him to climb etc.

Back
Top Bottom