Male Panther Chameleon Odd Behavior During Misting

BrittBepler

Hello All! I'm new to this forum, and to chameleon ownership. I recently got a 7 month old male ambilobe panther chameleon who seems to be thriving in his new home (I followed this forum closely when setting up his large enclosure, which plants and lights to use, decor, temperature, humidity, hydration, what insects to feed, gutloading etc.) so feel as though I set myself up for a great start. So far, no concerns or issues with him (his name is Cosmo Kramer, find him on IG). My only query right now is that he does this really funny "dance" or movement routine when the auto mister comes on for the longer mists of the day (3 min. each), I tried to get a video but failed (will keep trying), he raises up on his hind legs from the highest perch towards the mist, wiggles his body, shakes his head from side to side, then quickly moves to lower branches. Is this normal? Does this happen with others? Thank you!

This is the best I could get from today, towards the end he starts to show some of it but imagine this but on hind legs stretched out arms and shaking head side to side several times

Hard to tell, the drops are in the left and right corners, he doesn’t have any on top of where this behavior occurs, but he hasn’t been climbing the cage sides thankfully, and seems well hydrated despite me never seeing him drink (I’ve had him a little over a week)

Mine does this as well. He dislikes the mistings. Aka he hates water. Mine will violently shake his head to the point where I've seen him hit his head on the branch he was on.

Seems like he reached his threshold on water misting. Can you shorten the time or give him more places to hide from misting. I hand mist, so when I notice my chameleon not liking it I stop. I imagine water goes in their nose and thats why that flip out, but I have no proof of this theory. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom