Male Owners vs. Female Owners

While exploring chameleon culture I've noticed that a large amount of women love owning chameleons. Just thought this to be a little different compared to other pets especially in the reptile category. Just an observation if anyone has anything to bring to the table on this.

I know a lot of females who keep not only chameleons but all kinds of other reptiles and frogs and even spiders and millipedes, etc. I'm still surprised at how many women keep snakes!

While exploring chameleon culture I've noticed that a large amount of women love owning chameleons. Just thought this to be a little different compared to other pets especially in the reptile category. Just an observation if anyone has anything to bring to the table on this.

Well, maybe because chams are relatively non aggressive, not huge or heavy, no big fangs or claws, don't stink, so there isn't as much of the macho dangerous herp stigma. Maybe the relatively high amount of daily attention appeals more to meticulous women?

I never thought I would be a reptile person, I have always been a Parrot person but twice in a row my Chihuahuas have found red slider turtles in our yard. One of our sliders we have had him a couple of years and have had to constantly upgrade his tank bigger and bigger but we can't seem to set him free:rolleyes:

Then we now have the half dollar size slider that I guess we need to get him a bigger tank. I was on you tube one day and saw a Chameleon and I showed my husband how super neat they were when they eat crickets and there was a Repticon show coming our way soon so off I went shopping for a habitat and then reptile show and wala we are now proud parents to an adorable baby Veil Cham male:D

I tell people when they ask how many pets do I have ( Since I talk about them all the time) I have a small herd of Dogs (4) and a small herd of Parrots (6) and a small herd of reptiles (3) We also have a Beta and 2 snails that I hope don't multiply:eek: But we luv em all!!

I do not think there is any difference between men and woman in terms of who keeps reptiles or not. Caring for a pet is an equal opportunity responsibility. Any stereotype that suggests women dont like reptiles or bugs or rodents or whatever as much as men do is simply outdated and incorrect, at least in countries where women are treated as more or less equal to men in general.

I have loved all animals since I was a very small child. I collected bugs and kept them in cigar boxes in my drawers and under the bed. The fear of reptiles is a very conditioned societal thing and i know many men who are very afraid of snakes. As a pagan, I proudly embrace snakes, which were once a very revered Goddess symbol, which was darkened and made into an evil symbol by the Christian church to undermine any pagan symbolism. (Please don't take that as a derogative toward Christians, I am very open minded to all spiritual beliefs, each to their own) This was a common practice to erase many pagan beliefs and holidays. Nature creates some of the most awesome creatures, and I love them all!

One of our sliders we have had him a couple of years and have had to constantly upgrade his tank bigger and bigger but we can't seem to set him free:rolleyes:

Hopefully the set him free is a joke... I don't know where you're from but I'm pretty certain setting pet turtles "free" is illegal as they can cause problems with the natural environment. Especially considering so many people think its okay to release them.

As for the actual post. My boyfriend and I "co-own" Leon, our veiled. Although I started the reptile trend with my old lady bearded dragon, Wednesday.

I've been meaning to ask though if anyone notices if chameleons prefer a certain gender in regards to owners. Lately I've been teasing the hell outta by boyfriend because Leon is less skittish around me. He's also even "shook my hand" and willingly scrambled up my arm. He also allows me to mist him close up, whereas when my boyfriend does it he tends to angrily sulk away. Boyfriend does not find this as amusing as I do since he bought the little bugger.

I never thought that I would be a reptile person or ever own any but when I became a mother to my son who always brought things home from snakes to frogs and lizards. It was a must that I learn about them and I became intrested in them. As my son got older and got more interested in his IPOD I took on his snake and decided to get my own and decided to get a chameleon.

I've always loved ALL animals. You should see the looks and questions I get being a business/professional woman with my Chameleon Forums calendar at my desk. My clients tell me I don't look like I've have reptiles for pets and then when they ask me what they eat some of them really freak out. :) It doesn't bother me though because I love these animals.

I have always love reptiles. Even when I was about four years old my dad caught a gater snake in the yard. He yelled for me and my brother to come see it. My brother took of running and I asked to pet it. He wasn't surprised at all when I started keeping snakes and reptiles.

Well he was found outside and here in Mississippii where I live almost anything is legal. If we do set him free it will be in a place we know he will be safe.
Hopefully the set him free is a joke... I don't know where you're from but I'm pretty certain setting pet turtles "free" is illegal as they can cause problems with the natural environment. Especially considering so many people think its okay to release them.

As for the actual post. My boyfriend and I "co-own" Leon, our veiled. Although I started the reptile trend with my old lady bearded dragon, Wednesday.

I've been meaning to ask though if anyone notices if chameleons prefer a certain gender in regards to owners. Lately I've been teasing the hell outta by boyfriend because Leon is less skittish around me. He's also even "shook my hand" and willingly scrambled up my arm. He also allows me to mist him close up, whereas when my boyfriend does it he tends to angrily sulk away. Boyfriend does not find this as amusing as I do since he bought the little bugger.

I do not think there is any difference between men and woman in terms of who keeps reptiles or not. Caring for a pet is an equal opportunity responsibility. Any stereotype that suggests women dont like reptiles or bugs or rodents or whatever as much as men do is simply outdated and incorrect, at least in countries where women are treated as more or less equal to men in general.

I agree, It is just a stereotype where you assume there would be more men than women but everyone is equal.

There isn't a difference in caring for the reptiles (if there is I'm sure women are slightly more caring) but there is a significant difference in the percentage of men/women that do have reptiles as pets.

The stereotype is alive and well I'm sorry to say, while more women are currently more interested in learning and seeing reptiles, the masses of "OMG RUN SNAKE AHHHHHHHHHHH" is still pretty evident.

IMO chameleons don't have the "ick" factor that some other reptiles have. Also, I don't mind feeding insects, but I could not feed anything warm blooded (live or previously killed), or any large feeders (high "ick" factor). That's why I prefer small chams. :)

I love reptiles! All kinds! Whether its more of a hazard or just loveable. Just the other day I got my finger bit pretty bad by a savannah monitor but I still love the big guy XD (not even close to big guy yet XD Just 2ft min XD) My Iguana Love love lovesss being handled and hopefully my chameleons will start to like me more lol. My sister used to have a ball python, I really think that reptiles are some of the most amazing creatures.

I have always loved wierd and wonderful things - pill bugs have always fascinated me! I got into chams 3 years ago whilst visiting a reptile store to buy vitamin powder for my sugar gliders (yet another wierd but rather cute critter)! I now have two chameleons and two crested geckos. It was hard dealing with the insects at first but I wanted my first cham so badly I was prepared to do anything it took to have her, and that meant getting over my fear of her food!:D Thanks Lily, you taught me so much!:D

I wouldn't keep spiders - I hate them - can't understand why people would want to keep them as pets! Ugh! I could also never have a snake as I would be unable to feed it mice, etc. There is a rule in our house for the cats and that is 'you don't eat family'.:D So that is why I couldn't have a snake - I couldn't feed it on a creature that I would also keep as a pet.:eek: Those poor ickle meeces, I would rather have them alive than keep a snake!

Back
Top Bottom