Male or Female Veiled?

lizzietheveiled

My boyfriend and I just bought this chameleon, she said it was a girl and we didn't question it until I looked at her feet today. It looks like spurs, but I'm hoping I just got it wrong (denial much?).

I see spurs as well, it looks like you have a little male.

I'm always surprised when pet stores/vendors get that wrong, veileds are super easy to sex properly right out of the egg.

Thank you! His new name is Douglas. :D How old do you think he is? The breeder said he was about 5 months but I feel like hes small. His body is 3-4 inches but with his tail hes about 5-6 inches. :confused:

That's a fitting name, he looks like a Douglas! He is small, but not all chameleons grow at the same rate so it's hard to say for certain. If I were just looking at him I would guess he's perhaps 3-4 months old, but if the lady bred him and says he's 5 months old then I guess we'll have to take her word for it.

Thank you! We are taking him to the vet tomorrow to get everything all checked out so we will find out what he thinks! I appreciate the help and the compliments.

No way. He has a clear and obvious spur on his heel! I think your vet doesn't know that they're talking about.

Post better photos of the back feet for us and we'll tell you for certain. Most of us have kept veileds and are very good at sexing them. They're really not difficult, it's possible either your vet hasn't seen very many chameleons (most vets see more snakes and leopard geckos than anything else) or they're confusing which gender the spurs belong to.

specifically the underside of the foot pad the ankle can cover up a very small spur, it's easy to make it out with the light colored outline from the pad.

Here we go. I hope you guys can help but she even said she didnt get a lot of chameleons. Ill have to find someone better but my poor guy must be confused lol!!

Attachments

• IMG_20130707_121918.jpg
    IMG_20130707_121918.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20130707_122002.jpg
    IMG_20130707_122002.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 113
I hope lol The vet said he an absense of something (I forgot the word) which is why she thought it was female. Is it possible for females to have spurs? But Ill assume its a male until it lays eggs. And Douglas didnt work out :( my boyfriend didnt like it so for now his name is monster.

there are rare cases of females with small spurs. Either way, Im sure you'll enjoy having him/her.
I don't know what male parts your vet was looking for, but perhaps the fact that this is a very young animal was a factor? It will be more obvious as he grows up

Back
Top Bottom