Male or Female Veiled Cham

MexicanMate37

I just got a new veiled chameleon at
petsmart, but I don' know if its a boy or girl.

Attachments

• 20180404_172408.jpg
    20180404_172408.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 20180404_172359.jpg
    20180404_172359.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 283
Pretty litty girl you have there. If she wete a male she would have a sour on the back of each rear foot. Start reading up on female veilds so you know what to do when she is ready to lay eggs. They lay eggs whether they mate or not. If they don't mate...the eggs won't be fertile.

I just got a new veiled chameleon at
petsmart, but I don' know if its a boy or girl.
Nice female. If you do breed her in the future i suggest that you do it later in her life(not saying you will but some people do) because early breeding is known to reduce a females lifespan in captivity.

Nice female. If you do breed her in the future i suggest that you do it later in her life(not saying you will but some people do) because early breeding is known to reduce a females lifespan in captivity.

When they lay infertile eggs, how often does this become a issue ? I would like to own a female some day but the idea of egg laying scares me

Sorry to hijack this post but I cannot create my own can someone give their best guess on age of this little girl?? 1st pic is the day we got her..

Attachments

• A2607818-0F4A-4198-98E3-3011CDF1E6BF.jpeg
    A2607818-0F4A-4198-98E3-3011CDF1E6BF.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 1C20EC8F-8652-4C93-A222-87C64045C061.jpeg
    1C20EC8F-8652-4C93-A222-87C64045C061.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 253
  • B83F74F0-7977-43F3-B988-BEB59721397F.jpeg
    B83F74F0-7977-43F3-B988-BEB59721397F.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 260
  • B405BB61-26A2-4FCE-B5F7-D9DFCBCE4D7D.jpeg
    B405BB61-26A2-4FCE-B5F7-D9DFCBCE4D7D.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 264
Sorry to hijack this post but I cannot create my own can someone give their best guess on age of this little girl?? 1st pic is the day we got her..
I can save the pictures and make a new post for you, and give you the info when someone replies back, because I don' know enough about chams to tell you the age

You know... This isn't the first time someone asks the sex of a veiled and certainly won't be the last.
But sexing a veiled is described in every caresheet out there and is so simple even a toddler could do it accurately.
Not knowing how to do sex a veiled to me is just very poor preparation.
Getting a female as a complete newbie to Chameleons, or even most egg laying reptiles, is also a risk you should avoid unless you plan to breed or come prepared.

I'm sorry that I'm using your topic for this rant, it's not aimed at you alone but at everybody that purchases an animal without knowing the bare basics, like sexing a veiled. (other species don't sex as easy as a veiled)
We see so many topics coming by here of mainly veilded chameleons just barely clinging on to life just because the person that bought it didn't do his/her homework BEFORE purchasing their animal.
People not even knowing the first thing about husbandry, UVB, supplementation, feeding (and gut loading) or even know how to decorate a proper enclosure where the animal would feel safe for his lifetime.
People that want the animal but aren't at all prepared for the costs they will bring for proper equipment like auto mister, UVB lighting (every 9-12months) and vet visits.

Do your homework, learn the caresheets by heart or we will be seeing you first post cute pics of your veiled, then a while nothing, then you return asking if your veiled maybe has MBD or possibly a RI or why it sleeps all day.
We will then be explaining basic husbandry for the 1000th time to someone and advising you to see a vet which you'd be reluctant to do because they cost a pile of money.
Eventually you go quiet and your veiled has had a path of degradation and suffering and finally found the relief of death...

Seriously, I have seen plenty of people come and go as described above, so please do your homework, learn the caresheets by heart and don't cheap out on your setup and supplementation because 1 vet visit could likely be as expensive as your whole setup.

You know... This isn't the first time someone asks the sex of a veiled and certainly won't be the last.
But sexing a veiled is described in every caresheet out there and is so simple even a toddler could do it accurately.
Not knowing how to do sex a veiled to me is just very poor preparation.
Getting a female as a complete newbie to Chameleons, or even most egg laying reptiles, is also a risk you should avoid unless you plan to breed or come prepared.

I'm sorry that I'm using your topic for this rant, it's not aimed at you alone but at everybody that purchases an animal without knowing the bare basics, like sexing a veiled. (other species don't sex as easy as a veiled)
We see so many topics coming by here of mainly veilded chameleons just barely clinging on to life just because the person that bought it didn't do his/her homework BEFORE purchasing their animal.
People not even knowing the first thing about husbandry, UVB, supplementation, feeding (and gut loading) or even know how to decorate a proper enclosure where the animal would feel safe for his lifetime.
People that want the animal but aren't at all prepared for the costs they will bring for proper equipment like auto mister, UVB lighting (every 9-12months) and vet visits.

Do your homework, learn the caresheets by heart or we will be seeing you first post cute pics of your veiled, then a while nothing, then you return asking if your veiled maybe has MBD or possibly a RI or why it sleeps all day.
We will then be explaining basic husbandry for the 1000th time to someone and advising you to see a vet which you'd be reluctant to do because they cost a pile of money.
Eventually you go quiet and your veiled has had a path of degradation and suffering and finally found the relief of death...

Seriously, I have seen plenty of people come and go as described above, so please do your homework, learn the caresheets by heart and don't cheap out on your setup and supplementation because 1 vet visit could likely be as expensive as your whole setup.
I understand where you’re coming from and I agree with most of what you are saying regarding educating oneself prior to getting a chameleon, but there are nicer ways of responding to someone without seeming arrogant about it. Forums such as this one exist as a way for pet owners to educate themselves amid all the misinformation that exists out there. I doubt I would return to this forum if you had responded to me in such a way or at the very least I’d tell you that it’s not necessary to be rude to me for asking a simple question. In all of the care sheets I found at pet store chains when I bought my first couple of Chams said nothing about how to sex them. I had to google it and double checked the info with my vet to be sure it was accurate. If this forum exists to welcome new members and educate them so that they will then spread that correct info to the next person, then treating them like a child and publicly scolding them is NOT the way to get people to come back and misinformation will prevail.

To MexicanMate37,
As a member of this forum I apologize on behalf of Remkon who responded to you in a less than positive manner. Seeking information is a good thing. It educates you and helps you keep your cham happy and healthy. The last thing you need is to have a door shut in your face for asking a question. This is the purpose for such forums...to educate all who come here in a friendly and welcoming manner without making them feel less than. We were all ignorant at one point but that doesn’t mean we have to throw it in someone’s face. As a future educator of exotic animals I welcome you to this forum and encourage you not to be discouraged by one person’s less than positive response to your question(s).

I can save the pictures and make a new post for you, and give you the info when someone replies back, because I don' know enough about chams to tell you the age

Thank you so much!! I’ve been doing tons of research and reading as many posts on here but we’re starting to get worried about overfeedind and her needing a place to lay eggs

I understand where you’re coming from and I agree with most of what you are saying regarding educating oneself prior to getting a chameleon, but there are nicer ways of responding to someone without seeming arrogant about it. Forums such as this one exist as a way for pet owners to educate themselves amid all the misinformation that exists out there. I doubt I would return to this forum if you had responded to me in such a way or at the very least I’d tell you that it’s not necessary to be rude to me for asking a simple question. In all of the care sheets I found at pet store chains when I bought my first couple of Chams said nothing about how to sex them. I had to google it and double checked the info with my vet to be sure it was accurate. If this forum exists to welcome new members and educate them so that they will then spread that correct info to the next person, then treating them like a child and publicly scolding them is NOT the way to get people to come back and misinformation will prevail.

To MexicanMate37,
As a member of this forum I apologize on behalf of Remkon who responded to you in a less than positive manner. Seeking information is a good thing. It educates you and helps you keep your cham happy and healthy. The last thing you need is to have a door shut in your face for asking a question. This is the purpose for such forums...to educate all who come here in a friendly and welcoming manner without making them feel less than. We were all ignorant at one point but that doesn’t mean we have to throw it in someone’s face. As a future educator of exotic animals I welcome you to this forum and encourage you not to be discouraged by one person’s less than positive response to your question(s).

Don't take it so personal this forum is filled with arrogant know it all. And yes most know there sht about chams , they go off in the rudest wag because they been around this forums web page for a while. I would suggest to go out and search in other areas of the internet etc etc . Use the search tab more than post , usallky you will just get a remark about using the search tab etc etc .

Don't take it so personal this forum is filled with arrogant know it all. And yes most know there sht about chams , they go off in the rudest wag because they been around this forums web page for a while. I would suggest to go out and search in other areas of the internet etc etc . Use the search tab more than post , usallky you will just get a remark about using the search tab etc etc .
It is also filled with people who don't listen but yet ask for help.. witch is extremely frustrating for people taking time out of their day to help someone else. You would be someone I am speaking about. You have a FEMALE panther and your ignorance will cost your chameleon in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_5170.PNG
    IMG_5170.PNG
    408.8 KB · Views: 230
It is also filled with people who don't listen but yet ask for help.. witch is extremely frustrating for people taking time out of their day to help someone else. You would be someone I am speaking about. You have a FEMALE panther and your ignorance will cost your chameleon in the end.

Don't try and tell me what I don't and do have . I am 1000000000% sure on what I have and dont have, and what I need to do. Keep guessing on my ignorance , cuz clearly you don't live my real world just whatI type in this page .

Hey everyone reading this thread, friendly reminder that we have a "report" button at the bottom left corner of each person's posts! :)

Please report lostinspace for their abusive language above if you feel so inclined. We do not tolerate that kind of behavior here. And how ironic that it's coming from someone who, on the previous page, was criticizing established members for "go[ing] off in the rudest way" when trying to help people. Interesting to see that their behavior doesn't even require trying to help anyone to be overtly cruel and rude :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom