male or female? any ideas?

jhappe

I have two Neonates and they look very different in color. Any guesses on male or female? How much does color have to do with sex at this age?

Its really impossible to tell when they are so young... I have noticed some of my baby females turn an orange color when at rest..

Someone also told me that young females have red necks when they puff up..?

But IMO its just a guessing game untill they reach a few months old.

They are very cute by the way

It is hard to tell at this age. You could take a picture of them a few minutes later, and they would look different. But, if I had to guess at this point, the first would be a female and the second, a male.

It is hard to tell at this age. You could take a picture of them a few minutes later, and they would look different. But, if I had to guess at this point, the first would be a female and the second, a male.

I agree that they can change there color pretty quick as you can see in the last two pics thats the same one in both pics and there is a big difference in color.... And usually the first one has the same pinkish orange color all over like her eye stripes you can see but i had just misted her. Thanks for the input.... So do you think for sure that its one of each?

To the experienced eye, panthers are quite easy to sex when they are that small based on the shape of the tail. Sometimes when they get to the 2-3 month range it becomes more difficult to tell but at this age it's easy. The third photo is definitely a male. The first also seems to be a female but the angle the tail is held makes me a little hesitant to say for sure. Another shot of that animal with the tail held straight, like in the 3rd pic, might help make it more clear.

To the experienced eye, panthers are quite easy to sex when they are that small based on the shape of the tail. Sometimes when they get to the 2-3 month range it becomes more difficult to tell but at this age it's easy. The third photo is definitely a male. The first also seems to be a female but the angle the tail is held makes me a little hesitant to say for sure. Another shot of that animal with the tail held straight, like in the 3rd pic, might help make it more clear.

Kent, thanks for the response. I have done a ton of reading on this forum for the past year(feels like 2) and have gotten to know the key players and I have to say I very much respect your opinion, knowledge, and attitude towards keeping chameleons.(espeacially on parsons) Plus you have GTP's which is awesome. Now for the real question. I am happy to ask for opinions but I would also like to gain the knowledge to tell the difference on my own. Would you mind explainining the difference between the tails? And are there any other indicators now and maybe down the road I can look for?

Kent, thanks for the response. I have done a ton of reading on this forum for the past year(feels like 2) and have gotten to know the key players and I have to say I very much respect your opinion, knowledge, and attitude towards keeping chameleons.(espeacially on parsons) Plus you have GTP's which is awesome. Now for the real question. I am happy to ask for opinions but I would also like to gain the knowledge to tell the difference on my own. Would you mind explainining the difference between the tails? And are there any other indicators now and maybe down the road I can look for?

some more picture with the supposed girl having a straight tail

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hope you don't mind me using your photos to demonstrate how to sex neos. I used this technique to sex all the babies from two clutches I hatched in Janurary at less than a week old with 100% accuracy. The profile of the male's tail will seem almost straight along the ventral line across the belly, vent, and tail. It will also just seem more full at the base, just post-vent. The female has an upward indention just post-vent. Hopefully you can tell the difference with these photos. :)

Attachments

• jhappe girl.jpg
    jhappe girl.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 114
  • jhappe boy.jpg
    jhappe boy.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 114
Ok thanks! this is a great demonstration! I think this should be posted for everyone in the breeding forum. I think this question prob get asked a lot. along with the 100% success rate,thats great. can you send pics in pms? cause i have two more hatching right now and i am going to attempt some sexing of my own and check my work through you. Again thanks for the info.

I think this should be posted for everyone in the breeding forum. I think this question prob get asked a lot.

I've been thinking the same thing but, as my camera is a p.o.c., I would probably need to find, and get permission to use, other's photos for it. We can't send photos in pms but if you want a 2nd opinion on your work I could send you my email address. Lmk.

Great demonstration, Kent! Here are a couple more pics to help. I dont have as much experience sexing them as Kent does:) but I was 100% accurate with the 4 clutches I hatched last year. Kent is right about it getting harder around the 2-3 month mark. It seemed to me that the females will actually show more color which can throw you off when trying to sex them. They are not the best pics or the best angles but you can tell. They are maybe a week old in the pics and I could tell what they where as soon as they were out of the egg.

Female
Picture1137232.jpg

Male
Picture1137235.jpg

Kent is right about it getting harder around the 2-3 month mark. It seemed to me that the females will actually show more color which can throw you off when trying to sex them.

Not only that but they seem to fatten up some at that point and the differences in the tails become less obvious. I had one female that I ended up doubting myself on around that point. After a few more months her tail and color became more female looking but for a while there I thought I had sexed her incorrectly at first.

I got another hatchling i gotta wait to get some of the vermiculite and the yolk sak to fall off

Yep. And nice pics, too! That's the perfect angle for sexing them.

Alright! Im glad I have developed a new skill. ha Yea i got the hang of waiting for that the closest back leg to come forward.... i think they might be better than the others... welcome to use them...

Back
Top Bottom