Male Fischers Skeleton mount

JackP308

Avid Member
Found this while checking craigslist. Thought it was interesting. Pretty neat, how the tail is still curved and looks in good contact . You think its worth the asking price? I could get a live one for cheaper than that and try to replicate :eek:

3k13m13o95Y55O45W6b1mc94f2ce0692315e7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You might think you can just do it yourself but once you actually try to re-articulate a full skeleton, particularly from something as small as a chameleon, into a mounted position that looks somewhat natural, you'll realize that it is much harder than you'd think. That said, if I was going to spend the money to buy a mounted chameleon skeleton, I'd want it to be done right and done well. Its hard to tell from the pic (a little small) but it looks like the skeleton is missing the hyoid apparatus and scleral rings, has an odd kink to the vertebral column, and the ribs are wrong (chameleons have hinged ribs that extend posteroventrally and then anteroventrally, which he doesn't have the ribs doing here). I have a few skeletons I keep meaning to re-articulate and mount, but its a long process I've not had the time to devote to.

Chris

I was in no means serious about doing that myself. Should have put a sarcastic face so nobody took me serious. Just thought it looked neat, I like the tail end and the rostral if that is how you pronounce it. Yes you seem to be quite the busy guy, id like to see some of your skeletons if you ever get around to them and could post. Thanks

You might think you can just do it yourself but once you actually try to re-articulate a full skeleton, particularly from something as small as a chameleon, into a mounted position that looks somewhat natural, you'll realize that it is much harder than you'd think. That said, if I was going to spend the money to buy a mounted chameleon skeleton, I'd want it to be done right and done well. Its hard to tell from the pic (a little small) but it looks like the skeleton is missing the hyoid apparatus and scleral rings, has an odd kink to the vertebral column, and the ribs are wrong (chameleons have hinged ribs that extend posteroventrally and then anteroventrally, which he doesn't have the ribs doing here). I have a few skeletons I keep meaning to re-articulate and mount, but its a long process I've not had the time to devote to.

Chris

Me and my flatmate (me being a veterinary anatomist, her being a vet student) have been trying to rearticulate a rabbit skeleton (HER rabbit's skeleton - after the post mortem in the kitchen) and its taken us nearly 2 years so far...

Chris

dont you have some mounted skeletons chris? you should post them if not any troubles

I have a couple skeletons that aren't fully disarticulated from being in the bug box, but I've not had a chance to fully articulate them into a mounting position and then mount them.

Chris

hope it is a project you will have free time to work on in the near future. i would love to see a complete skeleton :)

I just found this topic only now, but I really need to add something :)

I got some chameleon skeletons, they're all self made. It's not that difficult, but you need a lot of time and patience to prepare it. I need about 4 weeks or 40 working hours for a Chamaeleo calyptratus as an example and I don't use any bugs. The skeleton shown above is a bad example, regrettably. Chris already listed most faults, furthermore the feets and hands look strange and it lacks a breast"bone". Lots of professional preparateurs don't have a lot experience in chameleons' anatomy.

How much do you pay for a skeleton in the US or Canada?

Wow...even if it's not anatomically correct- it's still a pretty sweet looking piece of art!!!
Come on: ...." (chameleons have hinged ribs that extend posteroventrally and then anteroventrally" let's face it- most people on here don't even know what that means! ( I have 3 years of university anatomy classes... And I had to stop and think about what it meant)
So.... Not wanting to offend anyone.... right or wrong.... It's freaking cool-!!!!
if your not gonna buy it- post a link so someone else can (me)

The original post in which the link was removed was his classified ad, and I think the selling price was around $100 USD.

Nice work Alexl !!

What all did you have to do to make this?

I simply work with scalpels and hydrogen peroxide. And lots of patience. :)

and I think the selling price was around $100 USD.

Quite fair for this one. You pay about 400 € for a fully and anatomically correct prepared chameleon in Germany at professionels. Or you do it on your own for less money.

This is a lateralis I'm currently preparing.

Attachments

• IMG_4472 (Large) Kopie.jpg
    IMG_4472 (Large) Kopie.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 111
Back
Top Bottom