Male dubia roach wings

Synapse

Is it a good idea to tear them off before feeding/dusting?

Anyone try this method before? Do they die if you tear off the wings?

It's necessary, really, as they don't ever fly. I had one out of hundreds and hundreds try to flutter, but he fell from my tweezers.

Why do you want to tear them off?

It's necessary, really, as they don't ever fly. I had one out of hundreds and hundreds try to flutter, but he fell from my tweezers.

Why do you want to tear them off?

Seems like they would be hard to digest with the wings. What kind of nutrition do the wings provide? Calcium?

Dr Greek recommends cutting off the hind legs with the spurs just as a precaution so they don't cause a digestion problem.

Is it a good idea to tear them off before feeding/dusting? Anyone try this method before? Do they die if you tear off the wings?

They are unlikely to die of you cut off the wings.
But Removing the wings would serve no purpose. Indeed my chameleons seem to prefer the males with wings, typically eating those first prior to a female dubia provided at the same time in a bowl.

i have very little experiance with dubias, but i did obtain a male then i couldnt find a female, so i fed him to my beardy, it was evening, and the next morning i saw the wings, very digested and broken up, but still relatively intact. It may be just because i fed him close to when the lights went out, or the wing itself, i hear the wings are hard to digest. im sure if you tore them off they wouldnt die.

Who goes around cutting off wings and legs of insects for wild chameleons?

They can eat and digest these things just fine- it is what they have been doing for millions of years...

they dont naturally eat dubias, note that the hissing cockroaches which are found in madagascar, are generally easier to digest. Just because they can do it in the wild doesnt nessecarily mean we should be doing it. Alot of conditions are different in wild, and why give them something when we can easily make it better?

i personally dont. i do however see wings undigested. i dont see any harm taking them off or leaving them untact. do whatever floats your boat. :D

feed them whole. taking off the wings just makes it more of a pain in the butt. even my female veileds seem to like the males a little more. they are little pigs though.

Back
Top Bottom