male cham's appendage not retracting

suewillman

Gosh, I hate to post something so delicate as my first post. My male Veiled Cham has a curled appendage sticking out of his vent. I assume this is his penis. I've seen it before, but for the last couple days it is not going back in.

He's about five years old. Can anyone advise?

If it's a hemipenis prolapse, his hemipenis needs to be kept moist. You can put KY jelly on it, and I've read cool water with disolved sugar in it can be used to soak it, in hopes that it can retract on it's own. He needs vet treatment ASAP, if it's been 2 days, and is dried out, it will probably have to be amputated. :( Sorry your guy is going through this.

Here's a thread with a similar situation and advice:https://www.chameleonforums.com/prolapse-help-120414/

Gosh, I hate to post something so delicate as my first post. My male Veiled Cham has a curled appendage sticking out of his vent. I assume this is his penis. I've seen it before, but for the last couple days it is not going back in.

He's about five years old. Can anyone advise?

Hello, the most common thing that could be is a sperm plug. How large is it and what color? Can you get a picture posted?

If it is a prolapsed hempi you will need medical help. But if we can help you determine which it is you may save a lot on money. I would be looking for a chameleon vet just in case you need them right away.

Thinking now it it a sperm plug

Thanks to all who have replied. After reading more posts here on CF and Reptile Report, I am thinking this is a sperm plug.

It was never red like some pics I've seen. It is black and about diameter of pencil lead, approx. half inch long and curved/hooked at end. Very dry.

I will try soaking in some warm water and gently move it to see if it drops off. If not, will call my vet and get appt. with my excellent herp vet, Dr. Cord Offerman in Kyle, Texas.

I'll post a follow up.

Sue Willman

Veiled Chameleon, Prehensile Tailed Skink, 2 Red Foot Tortoises, newest addition - Saharan Uromastyx bought Dec. 1st

Thanks to all who have replied. After reading more posts here on CF and Reptile Report, I am thinking this is a sperm plug.

It was never red like some pics I've seen. It is black and about diameter of pencil lead, approx. half inch long and curved/hooked at end. Very dry.

I will try soaking in some warm water and gently move it to see if it drops off. If not, will call my vet and get appt. with my excellent herp vet, Dr. Cord Offerman in Kyle, Texas.

I'll post a follow up.

Sue Willman

Veiled Chameleon, Prehensile Tailed Skink, 2 Red Foot Tortoises, newest addition - Saharan Uromastyx bought Dec. 1st

It would seem most likely as a sperm plug. For others reading here, should a similar thing ever occur, a picture is worth a thousand words ! So please post one if such an issue arises.

Update on my Tut, prolapsed hemipene

Hello, Sue Willman here.

Time for an update on Tut...

December 7: When I started to soak his hindquarters in warm water and gently prod what I hoped was a sperm plug, blood started flowing. I stopped, called my rep vet, Cord Offermann, and he wasn't available for two days. I took Tut to another clinic of their reference, and the vet said he had an infection and gave him a Fortaz injection. I had make an appt. with Dr. Cord already for Monday.

Dec 9:
Tut had his left hemipene amputated. It had been abcessed. Dr. Cord told me that sometimes the other hemipene will prolapse after one has, and if it did, to get him in right away. I've been giving Tut Fortaz injections at home.

This morning Tut gave me a scare when I saw the his other hemipene extended, I called Cord's office, and, of course, he's on vacation for a week! So I was preparing to try the sugar water treatment, and, lo and behold, it went back in on its own!! Whew!

I'll be keeping a close eye on him. I really appreciate the info everyone has shared with me. Thank you. Hope everyone has been having a wonderful holiday.

Sue Willman

Back
Top Bottom