male chameleon recovered from MBD but isnt eating or drinking himself

JOSHWAH

Hello yall,
my panther chameleon is a well over a years old now, he is not sick or anything, he was sick, he had mbd about 4 months ago, during these 4 months i had to hand feed him food and water, i took him to the vet a few times now and everything is fine, he is just not eating or drinking himself, he might have gotten used to me hand feeding him? is there anyway to get him to eat or drink himself?

Hello yall,
my panther chameleon is a well over a years old now, he is not sick or anything, he was sick, he had mbd about 4 months ago, during these 4 months i had to hand feed him food and water, i took him to the vet a few times now and everything is fine, he is just not eating or drinking himself, he might have gotten used to me hand feeding him? is there anyway to get him to eat or drink himself?

MBD can be caused by a lack of calcium and/or Vitamin D3. It can also be caused by kidney failure and there is no cure for kidney failure.

Dehydration, either a severe event or chronic low-level dehydration is a common cause of kidney failure in captive chameleons. End stage kidney failure presents as you are describing with a gradual drop in appetite.

Another possibility is that he might have damaged his tongue. Does he use his tongue when you hand feed? If he just grabs with his mouth, try giving him feeders that don't move such as silkworms or hornworms. Tub feeding something like roaches and superworms can help an animal that has no tongue function feed themselves.

MBD can be caused by a lack of calcium and/or Vitamin D3. It can also be caused by kidney failure and there is no cure for kidney failure.

Dehydration, either a severe event or chronic low-level dehydration is a common cause of kidney failure in captive chameleons. End stage kidney failure presents as you are describing with a gradual drop in appetite.

Another possibility is that he might have damaged his tongue. Does he use his tongue when you hand feed? If he just grabs with his mouth, try giving him feeders that don't move such as silkworms or hornworms. Tub feeding something like roaches and superworms can help an animal that has no tongue function feed themselves.
He does not shoot his tongue out, i have brought him to the vet again, the vet says he is healthy, and his tongue is normal. I tried to not force feed him for 1-3 days, and just left some worms in the cage, i have not seen him eat any.

He does not shoot his tongue out, i have brought him to the vet again, the vet says he is healthy, and his tongue is normal. I tried to not force feed him for 1-3 days, and just left some worms in the cage, i have not seen him eat any.

When you said you hand fed him do you mean you force food into his mouth that he then eats? Or do you mean you hold it for him and he grabs it from your fingers?

If the second case, it could simply be a tongue injury. It's a little different if you are force feeding him because he won't eat.

How much does he weigh and how much and what are you feeding him?

Hello yall,
You might want to hold the food in a slippery pot right next to the main spot your Cham sits. Make sure the food is alive, Because then he'll know it's food. He'll see the food in the container and probably go after it. If he does eat all around, then try force feeding. If you want more details on that, feel free to ask

You might want to hold the food in a slippery pot right next to the main spot your Cham sits. Make sure the food is alive, Because then he'll know it's food. He'll see the food in the container and probably go after it. If he does eat all around, then try force feeding. If you want more details on that, feel free to ask
i will not force feed him today, and tomorow i will give him some silk worms.

How much weight does he have on him? Very sick chameleons do not try to eat in my experience and will starve themselves. So depending on his weight he may still be feeling sick and need help. Or if you are certain he isn't drinking? (no good urates) then I would worry more about that and getting him much needed fluids. What are you feeding him when you force feed? Are you sure he can see? He tracks you?

How much weight does he have on him? Very sick chameleons do not try to eat in my experience and will starve themselves. So depending on his weight he may still be feeling sick and need help. Or if you are certain he isn't drinking? (no good urates) then I would worry more about that and getting him much needed fluids. What are you feeding him when you force feed? Are you sure he can see? He tracks you?
I forgot to say, i force feed him food and water, i feed him crickets dusted in calcium powder, his eyes are always open, his eyes are big and healthy, his poop is also good. The vet said all his calcium levels and other stuff are normal. he is a bit overweight because i used to feed him a lot of meal worms and he is fat.

Then wait about 2 weeks if you are certain he's overweight. Idk if he really is, going off your knowledge, but a healthy and a fat chameleon often won't eat for a while.

Back
Top Bottom