male chameleon going through puberty

Tifanydalpont

his very mean right now how long will this last?????????????? 7 months old i dont wanna stress him out. any one have any advice

when i found my vield he was extremely aggressive. every time u even walked by his cage he would flare up and open his mouth and if i was to open his cage he would hiss and lunge at me.the first time i held him he bit me three times . now he will let me hold him when ever except early when he is warming up. my advice is be take ur time and take baby steps.for example just start by him\her getting used to u ,then u come from underneeth slowly with one hand maybe with your other hand distracting him\her from above and go for under the chin and if he or she grabs on ur off to good start but if he or she dosnt dont disscouragd it took me about a year to get where iam now . the most important thing your chameleons helth dont stress him\her out try it once a week or evry other week

Your chameleon's attitude may not ever change. It is their nature to be less-than-friendly. Was he nice in the first place? It could have been stress.

Either way, good luck with him. Have you filled out the help form in the past?

Maybe forever.
You could always elaborate a little more and try to explain why. :)

Chameleons are not snuggly creatures (except maybe Jan's) and tend to be very territorial. They don't bond with people so are not inclined to be nice to you. He is seeing you as a massive predator because you are much bigger than he is, invading his home, and trying to grab him - those are all very frightening to him! Some chameleons are comfortable around people and some just aren't. You really can't do much to "tame" him or anything, you can only try to make him more comfortable around you - which has no guarantee to work at all. He is seeing his cage as his turf (which means you probably did a good job making him comfortable) and he is protecting it and himself from you. Chameleons are cage ornaments more than pets. There is a high chance he will not get any friendlier and you will not be able to handle him anymore. My veiled either dives for cover or tries to bite me just when I go to feed him. Forcing the issue by trying to "make him friendlier" will only stress him out and probably make him fear you more. Sorry. :(

Your chameleon's attitude may not ever change. It is their nature to be less-than-friendly. Was he nice in the first place? It could have been stress.

Either way, good luck with him. Have you filled out the help form in the past?

You could always elaborate a little more and try to explain why. :)

Ok i am confused, why would the help form do any good on how friendly he is?

I have had a couple of veiled who had attitude. I put on gloves and let them bite the crap out of me. After a while one calmed down tons, the other some but never friendly.
My male veiled "Pickle" wanted to take take my are off when I rescued him.
After a while I let him out to play for a while, when I would go to pick him up he would hiss and flare at me, going either in or out of his cage, it was always the same. i picked him up everyday and he never bit me, he just liked to be nasty. Scared the crap out of my husband, he would not even try to pick up pickle. Pickle spent half his life in the frame work that held all the lights and crap above my cages.

Ok i am confused, why would the help form do any good on how friendly he is?
Sometimes a change in behavior is caused by a change in environment, at least from what I've noticed. Regardless filling out the form is always helpful.

Syn the form doesn't show changes it is a static form, I don't know why people keep saying fill out that long form when it won't help

Syn the form doesn't show changes it is a static form, I don't know why people keep saying fill out that long form when it won't help
Because you can cross reference it with the one that was previously filled out.....

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male, and 7 months of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?5 months

Handling - when he want out i let him crawl on my hands and then back in the cage

Feeding - crickets large and small, pheniox worms, superworms, wax worms.every day usually crickets but i hace to switch it up cuase he gets bored. 11am and 5 pm. commercail gut load and carrot and collard greens

Supplements - zoomed reptivite with and without vitmin d3, and zilla multivitamin spray. 4day with d2, 1 day nod3 and 1 day multi

Watering - mist in mouth twice a day

Fecal Description - large compacted brown stool and white uringe. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. going through puberty????just sheaded

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, 30x18x18
Lighting - repti glo 5.0 uvb,on 6am to
Temperature - cage floor 70 to basking spot95
Lowest overnight temp70
How do you measure these temps? since i got him
Humidity - What are your humidity levels?60
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? live hibiscus plant
What do you use to measure humidity? humidity gadge
Plants - Are you using live plants?hibiscus
Placement - Where is your cage located? near kitchen table by the window At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 4 feet
Location - Where are you geographically located? losangeles

Current Problem - not eatting or pooping for a week and a half and now his very angery and agressive. if his sees me enter the room he hisses

I would elaborate but there's truly no answer to this question. It's all up to the individual animal. I could go on and on about how territorial males can be or I can say that free ranging might help, but the fact of the matter is that some animals are grumpy, some are tolerant. It really is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom