Male but looks bigger... is he a she??

Gabbk

So I have a veiled chameleon around 5 months I think. I have asked on here his sex and everyone says male but recently his stomach has seemed to get bigger and i could be mistaken and it could just be my chameleon growing and getting bigger but his stomach kind of looks like what a gravid females stomach looks like. I hope someone can help me understand what’s going on. Thank you :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 92
I see why you think that but he’s actually on the door of his enclosure... he has so many places to hide inside :)

I would recommend filling out this form because i see that he has plastic plants which are generally not reccomended, so we can make sure he is getting the correct care and everything. and if you get good pictures of the back feet, from the side, we can pretty easily tell whether it is male or female. heres the form, if you want to fill it out id highly recommend it! 🥳 just copy and paste it and fill in the info!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, I think he’s around 5 months. How long has it been in your care, 1 month
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon, as often he will let me. Maybe once every few days.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, and Dubai roaches, and soldiers black fly larva, sometimes super worms, and horn worms. What amount? As much as he will eat, because he is still young What is the schedule? I give him food in the morning, mid day, and about an hour and a half before lights out. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Lettuce, fruits, veggies, and roach and cricket food.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium without d3 6 days of the week, then every Sunday I alternate between flukers repticalcium with d3 and zoo med Reptivite
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Hand misting How often and how long to you mist? A few times a day maybe around 4-5 Do you see your chameleon drinking? Sometimes, if I don’t see him drink I will more times that day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I have not tested him for parasites, and his poop is good colors the urine is white with a little tint of yellow and his poop is brown
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I caught him eating the dirt in his plant but I quickly covered up the dirt.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? The chameleon kit! Yay everyone’s favorite :) 16" L X 16" W X 30" screen
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? UVB .5 linear bulb, and the blue heat light by zoomed daylight blue
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot around 88-95, lower temp is around 70, and night time drops to around 65. I have several thermometers around his enclosure
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 55-65% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? I have live plants and I mist several times a day, I have a dripper, my room is also small so that helps What do you use to measure humidity? I have a hydrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I have 2 majesty palms
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No, At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6feet
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? East coast, Virginia
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. My chameleon looks bigger in his stomach than he usually does and I just want to make sure he is okay. I’m sure he’s just growing but if there’s anything wrong I want to know so that I can take care of my Cham

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 82
so I put my suggestions in red just to let you know :)
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, I think he’s around 5 months. How long has it been in your care, 1 month
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon, as often he will let me. Maybe once every few days.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, and Dubai roaches, and soldiers black fly larva, sometimes super worms, and horn worms. What amount? As much as he will eat, because he is still young What is the schedule? I give him food in the morning, mid day, and about an hour and a half before lights out. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Lettuce, fruits, veggies, and roach and cricket food. This looks great, since he is around 5 months I would give him 5 food items a day and when he gets to 6 months you can start to switch him to an adult feeding schedule say 5 every other day so on so on.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium without d3 6 days of the week, then every Sunday I alternate between flukers repticalcium with d3 and zoo med Reptivite
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Hand misting How often and how long to you mist? A few times a day maybe around 4-5 Do you see your chameleon drinking? Sometimes, if I don’t see him drink I will more times that day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I have not tested him for parasites, and his poop is good colors the urine is white with a little tint of yellow and his poop is brown
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I caught him eating the dirt in his plant but I quickly covered up the dirt.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? The chameleon kit! Yay everyone’s favorite :) 16" L X 16" W X 30" screen You will want to get him a 24x24x48 minimum since he is starting to get where he will grow very quickly and need a bigger cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? UVB .5 linear bulb, and the blue heat light by zoomed daylight blue You will want a th50 24" UVB hood with a 5.0 or 10.0 22" uvb bulb as this will prevent MBD way better than the other kinds. I would not suggest using any color light such as red or blue because chameleons can be very sensitive to colors and the sun is not blue lol. Just use a usual basking light, 75w should be ok.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot around 88-95, lower temp is around 70, and night time drops to around 65. I have several thermometers around his enclosure
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 55-65% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? I have live plants and I mist several times a day, I have a dripper, my room is also small so that helps What do you use to measure humidity? I have a hydrometer Make sure to keep your humidity levels between 40-50% during the day and they can handle much higher humidity at night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I have 2 majesty palms
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No, At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6feet
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? East coast, Virginia
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. My chameleon looks bigger in his stomach than he usually does and I just want to make sure he is okay. I’m sure he’s just growing but if there’s anything wrong I want to know so that I can take care of my Cham

Whenever chameleons sleep, they puff their bodies up. This is normal. Does your cham have tarsal spurs? If so, male. :)

Your temps at basking are way too hot. 80-82 is what your looking for.

Can you post pics of the cham when it is awake? And I am seeing decent sized tarsal spurs that indicate male. But while rare some females can have them too.

Your temps at basking are way too hot. 80-82 is what your looking for.

Can you post pics of the cham when it is awake? And I am seeing decent sized tarsal spurs that indicate male. But while rare some females can have them too.
Here’s a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom