Male and Female together?

I woulnt keep them together. They are both gonna get aggressive and start attacking each other. They are very territorial animals.

You have a sweet little girl. First the cage you show your girl in needs work. The carpet in the bottom will just get wet all time and then will breed bacteria. Next, you might have this I can't tell, she needs lots of sticks to climb on. As for keeping them together, it is not usually a good idea. If the male is older it is an awful idea. He could breed her almost any time, and as small as she is you would have a dead girl. Even if the don't breed usually the male will establish dominance and not allow the female adequate food, basking etc. The stress would most like kill one of the two.

Besides the excellent points Laurie makes, a 2x4' cage is the minimum size required for a single male. So to even attempt to keep two together, the enclosure would have to be quite a lot bigger. So it's just easier and cheaper in the long run (even if it doesn't appear to be, given the investment in a second set-up) to keep each in their own cage. That way hopefully they will both live long and happier lives.

Keeping them together will mean that they will mate as soon as they are sexually mature even if they aren't full grown.

ok so.. i can understand that the answer to my question is NO. haha... but i am curious now.. when the chameleons do mate... how does that go about? Do the owners know when to place both of them in the same cage?

Yes, you'll be able to tell.
When both chams are over a year old (especially your girly) you can hold the female outside the male's cage and test their reactions to each other. She will only mate if she's receptive, so if she is, you'll notice that she won't display any aggression. An if he's interested, he will head bob but not show any aggression (like hissing, lunging to bite, etc.) If they're both interested, you can leave her in his cage for as long as it takes them to do the deed and then separate. I would supervise from a distance to make sure they don't fight or anything.

Here's an excellent video to help you determine whether your female is ready: https://www.chameleonforums.com/receptive-female-chameleons-educational-video-62869/

ok so.. i can understand that the answer to my question is NO. haha... but i am curious now.. when the chameleons do mate... how does that go about? Do the owners know when to place both of them in the same cage?

Mating should be a very controlled process. You absolutely do NOT want your chameleons to mate unless you have intentions of breeding, incubating, raising babies, etc. And you most definitely do not want your chameleons "randomly" mating without your knowledge as you will have no way to properly prepare for the health issues, babies, etc which may arise(which will mean many more cages, etc). This also takes quite a toll on your female and will lower her life expectancy.

However, in case you are now aware, please realize your female will lay eggs even if she does not breed. You must provide her a laying bin regardless once she is old enough (I believe ~5months is appropriate)

yeah, for starters I'd work on the enclosure. separation and isolation is the key to their happiness. privacy is right up there as well, look into getting more plants into each cage to the point that they can feel safe and have hiding spots. gl w/ur chams!

What kind of lighting are u using? I agree with everyone on the enclosure my chams don't even walk the floor chameleons prefer to be at the highest point saying to where they can survey the room ! I prefer to use live plants and flukers vines but u can be creative!

I just use natural sunlight (outdoors) cuz i live in hawaii. but for indoors settings make sure u have a basking spot and a UVB lamp! can't tell what u have from the vid, but live plants + fluker vines sounds about right. depending on where u live, i'd recommend a ficus (for indoors). i have hibiscus and pathos but again, i'm in hawaii and can get away with it :)

I just use natural sunlight (outdoors) cuz i live in hawaii. but for indoors settings make sure u have a basking spot and a UVB lamp! can't tell what u have from the vid, but live plants + fluker vines sounds about right. depending on where u live, i'd recommend a ficus (for indoors). i have hibiscus and pathos but again, i'm in hawaii and can get away with it :)

The guys in Florida & California are bad enough, but Hawaii? :(Life just isn't fair, my kids won't see real sun until late April at the earliest and first part of June at the latest. I know jealously is not nice, but poor little me just can't help it.:rolleyes: Could you send my kids some sun???

Back
Top Bottom