Malcolm versus Snail

deadhd5

Avid Member
Malcolm is hilariously aggressive when he eats a snail. He immediately reacts upon the sight of a snail to the point he charges the cage door when he sees them outside his enclosure when the door is closed. I put the snail down and get out of the way because I don't want to be collateral damage!

Apologies for the poor focus during the action... First time trying to take video with my new DSLR camera and the autofocus wasn't very good. My attempt to manually focus did not work out too well, but good enough for now.

OMG! That is hilarious! I love how he bites the whole branch. And I heard one crunch, but it seems like he swallowed it whole!?

Deb

OMG! That is hilarious! I love how he bites the whole branch. And I heard one crunch, but it seems like he swallowed it whole!?

Deb

He got a few crunches in, lol. The first one usually shatters the shell though, they are very brittle. My other panther Moe did swallow one whole about two weeks back without issue (about the size of a marble). I never see shell fragments in their poop (and I do their fecal tests) so I assume the shell is fully digested and its calcium utilized. Chams love them and seem to know what to do get eat them instinctively.

Super cool video! I'm so jealous! I cant wait until my babies grow. I swear as soon as one is remotely big enough to be considered a bite it is a goner LOL.

What a cute video of Malcolm getting his snail. He didn't mess around. I need to get some snails for my guys. :)

What a cute video of Malcolm getting his snail. He didn't mess around. I need to get some snails for my guys. :)

If you would like I can try to ship you some eggs on a week where I have excess :) PM me if you want to give snails a try :)

Do you have to get a certain type of snail? Also do you suggest waiting until a cham is older to start using snails? My guy is only 3 months old so not sure if it would be a good idea to try yet or not.

Do you have to get a certain type of snail? Also do you suggest waiting until a cham is older to start using snails? My guy is only 3 months old so not sure if it would be a good idea to try yet or not.

I am using garden snails (helix aspera) which are one of the two species bred for escargot. They are a good option for chams for the same reason they are used for human consumption, they are meaty. An adult is too large for a panther, so juveniles make for the perfect feeding size.

I feed my little Jackson Sammy the baby snails (started at 3.5 months), which are about the size of a bb. The shells on the babies are pretty thin, so it is not an issue for him to eat them. Snails are very easy to work with and feed off and, as you can tell, chams go nuts for them.

You can find this picture in this months photo contest (not that I am politicking for votes, lol)
NX1000

How much do they usually cost? I got a lotta chams to feed!

Do you know if they are good for other reptiles? Like beardies

I think I paid $20 for 20 snails. They lay eggs like crazy but it takes about 4 o months til the first babies are of feeding size. They are quite fun to keep though and not much work. Sandrachameleon has a great blog on their care

LOL - that was GREAT ! I love to watch my guys eat snails :D Olive played "ping pong snail " today- she kept knocking right off - I had to put it in her cup finally- :p next you need a vid/ of little Sammy eating one ;) your guys is GORGEOUS !

Back
Top Bottom