Malagasy giant chameleon/oustalets chameleon

nivine

Hey just wondering if anyone knows where to get an outlets chameleon so far I've only found wild-caught ones and I'm leaning toward an adult male from reptile city but I'm not sure

Hey just wondering if anyone knows where to get an outlets chameleon so far I've only found wild-caught ones and I'm leaning toward an adult male from reptile city but I'm not sure
As far as I know, there aren’t a lot (or any?) of oustalets breeders. Wild-caughts are probably your only option. So, just have a good quarantine setup ready to go before hand. For what it’s worth I have found that a good quarantine setup should be super easy to take apart and thoroughly clean. I can’t stress this enough: cracks, crevices, and corners make eliminating something like Coccidia a nightmare. I don’t know whether you’re a seasoned keeper, or new to the hobby, but if you’d like some pics of my quarantine setup—which worked beautifully—let me know.

There was someone a little while back that had a clutch of them hatch, but they aren't usually around as CB. I wouldn't recommend WC unless trying to breed.

As far as I know, there aren’t a lot (or any?) of oustalets breeders. Wild-caughts are probably your only option. So, just have a good quarantine setup ready to go before hand. For what it’s worth I have found that a good quarantine setup should be super easy to take apart and thoroughly clean. I can’t stress this enough: cracks, crevices, and corners make eliminating something like Coccidia a nightmare. I don’t know whether you’re a seasoned keeper, or new to the hobby, but if you’d like some pics of my quarantine setup—which worked beautifully—let me know.

That would be awesome. I have been keeping all different kinds of reptiles for a couple years now so I would say I'm seasoned but I know my stuff. I am however just getting in to chameleons and this only my second (I have a jacksons). I would love to see your quarantine as I haven't really hadto do it before because all of my animals were previously scattered throughout the house.

Keeping a WC chameleon is a whole other level of chameleon husbandry. Even for the experienced. Nobody should buy them other than hopeful breeders. They go through hell and are often in bad shape, full of parasites, etc. Many species are also threatened by the pet trade and the only way to compensate for that is increase their captive population. Not trying to lecture you, maybe you know this already, just something to think about for anyone considering a WC animal. I would check around on some different reptile marketplaces and see if anyone has some CB babies available.

That would be awesome. I have been keeping all different kinds of reptiles for a couple years now so I would say I'm seasoned but I know my stuff. I am however just getting in to chameleons and this only my second (I have a jacksons). I would love to see your quarantine as I haven't really hadto do it before because all of my animals were previously scattered throughout the house.
So, the beauty of this is that the whole enclosure can be soaked in the tub with whatever sanitizer you like.

Attachments

• F7EB26CC-8E3E-4E42-A50E-87CEAFC85C0E.jpeg
    F7EB26CC-8E3E-4E42-A50E-87CEAFC85C0E.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 9BF0B69E-5440-43C7-B86B-A37F859C61CE.jpeg
    9BF0B69E-5440-43C7-B86B-A37F859C61CE.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 118
I am aware of the health risks of wild-caught chameleons. I am prepared to take it to a vet as soon as I get it and I am going to do my best to at least try to find a long term captive. I would eventually like to breed them to help promote more captive breeding of these guys cause I think the community is completely missing out with this species

Back
Top Bottom