Making my own frozen gutload - in UK

Bernie

Hi all,

I know there are plenty of gutload recipes on here and some excellent resources too. My problem is that many of the things I see people using prove difficult to obtain here in the UK. Or just dont exist here!

I want to start creating my own bulk gutload with fresh fruit/veggies and freezing in small amounts for my livefood. This will prove so much easier and cheaper for me in the long run.

I know its good to keep gutloads varied, however I am looking for a good staple gutload that I can feed to my insects often to deliver a nutritious balanced intake for my chams.

Can anyone recommend some staple key ingredients, say anything upto 8 ingredients that cover all bases.

I dont want to feed my insects too much, or not enough of something.

Popular ingredients that people talk about that can be easily obtained here in the UK are the following....
  • Watercress
  • Spring Greens
  • Sweet Potato
  • Carrot
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Green beans
  • Cabbage (Green/White)
  • Apple
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Lemon/Lime
  • Pear
  • Peach
  • Cucumber
  • Tomato
  • Peppers
  • Rocket
  • Asparagus
  • Blackberries/Raspberries/Strawberries
  • Mango
  • Mushroom

Thats all I could list off the top of my head.

Thanks.

I can relate, but can't advise. I'm doing nearly everything the old fashioned manual way, and spending more than I need to on feeders and gutload. I want to get my locusts breeding, but I've had no joy.
You can buy better gutloads than you can make, and it's easier........but good luck:)

I can relate, but can't advise. I'm doing nearly everything the old fashioned manual way, and spending more than I need to on feeders and gutload. I want to get my locusts breeding, but I've had no joy.
You can buy better gutloads than you can make, and it's easier........but good luck:)

When you say "buy", are you referring to those that they sell on the shelf in pet shops?

Yes, knowing that even the stuff they sell which claims to be perfect on the label needs supplementing .........
I guess it's just that I've not got round to gutloading the easy/cheap way yet. It is on the agenda, which is the only reason I'm on this thread (so's I can follow it and maybe get a good tip or 3).
I have a good vitamin balance in this tub of jelly stuff, the insects get extra flakes and leaves too.......
I buy to save time, but it actually takes more time and money my way.........

P.s. I've heard Cale is especially good. I get some of that in the mix

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this powder called Pro reptile gutload stuff that i've just been shaking into feed pots in with the worms, the roaches and the locusts, along with gel water crystals and some fresh fruit and veg. I wondered why none of the critters had been touching the powder until my son took a look at the tub yesterday and said "Er, Mum, it says here you're supposed to make the powder into a thick paste with water for them..."

The critters are lapping the stuff up now, just shows you're never too old to be a complete idiot!! :eek:

What other greens can you get? You may be able to get mustard or turnip greens in your frozen vegetable section. Dandelion leaves are also pretty good.

I just posted my frozen mix up if you want to try it.

What other greens can you get? You may be able to get mustard or turnip greens in your frozen vegetable section. Dandelion leaves are also pretty good.

I just posted my frozen mix up if you want to try it.

Thanks I will take a look.

I have just rustled a frozen gutload up consisting of Kale, Apple, Carrot, Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato.

How does that sound?

Dandelion leaves are also pretty good.
I keep reading this, so since there's loads of monster dandelions around here I put them in a bit.
It's just that I can't eat them I guess,and they are free which makes it ridiculous, but it just feels like they're not as good. I should probably stop being daft and use them a bit more.......

I keep reading this, so since there's loads of monster dandelions around here I put them in a bit.
It's just that I can't eat them I guess,and they are free which makes it ridiculous, but it just feels like they're not as good. I should probably stop being daft and use them a bit more.......

You should try using smaller leaves, and make sure that there are no pesticides where you pull them from.

Thanks I will take a look.

I have just rustled a frozen gutload up consisting of Kale, Apple, Carrot, Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato.

How does that sound?

Decent start! I would try and find a way to up the Ca:p ratio a bit, but it's definitely a great start. I'd go heavy with the butternut squash in this recipe, and if you can find a papaya it would round this out very well.

Watercress = high in goitrogens, limit use of
Spring Greens= good
Sweet Potato = good
Carrot = good
Broccoli = high in oxalix acid, limit use of
Cauliflower = high in oxalix acid, limit
Green beans = higher in phosphorous than calicum, limit
Cabbage (Green/White) = high in goitrogens, limit use of
Apple = ok
Orange = good
Banana = high in phosphorous, limit
Lemon/Lime = good (the peel contains oxalic acid but the flesh is fine)
Pear = ok
Peach = not great (goitrogens)
Cucumber = not great
Tomato = ok (fruit only - leaves are toxic)
Peppers = ok
Rocket = good
Asparagus = dunno!
Blackberries/Raspberries/Strawberries = ok
Mango = ok
Mushroom = dunno!

consider alfafa(excellent vegetable protein), dandelion (yes, you can eat this yourself too, pick young leaves as old leaves are bitter and better for you), kelp, spirulina, sunflower seeds (in moderation), brazil nuts (in moderation), brewers yeast (in moderation), papaya, ...

Last edited:

I include free dandelion weeds in my spring salads every year :) they are entirely edible by people
young leaves taste better than old leaves (which get bitter)

I include free dandelion weeds in my spring salads every year :) they are entirely edible by people
young leaves taste better than old leaves (which get bitter)

Yeah, ok, but that's like eating nettles or roadkill, lol.
Even if it is edible, it's not for me......

Decent start! I would try and find a way to up the Ca:p ratio a bit, but it's definitely a great start. I'd go heavy with the butternut squash in this recipe, and if you can find a papaya it would round this out very well.

Thanks drcrossfire. I have actually seen papaya in my local supermarket so i'll grab some of this next time.

My mixture was mostly butternut squash and sweet potato, so it is quite orange!

Seems more like a fresh picked salad... Do you not eat from gardens either? :confused:
That's because I was joking a bit.
I really like the drink Dandelion and Burdock (I believe in USA you call it Sasparilla).
As for eating from gardens it depends on the type of garden. I eat barbecue in a garden, I'll have a picnic in the park - but I don't recall ever picking weeds to eat, just because they are edible.
I have a better variety of greens now I keep chams again now though.......

That's because I was joking a bit.
I really like the drink Dandelion and Burdock (I believe in USA you call it Sasparilla).
As for eating from gardens it depends on the type of garden. I eat barbecue in a garden, I'll have a picnic in the park - but I don't recall ever picking weeds to eat, just because they are edible.
I have a better variety of greens now I keep chams again now though.......

Lettuce and rocket (arugula) and spinach are weeds just as much as dandelion is. All are salad greens.

Lettuce and rocket (arugula) and spinach are weeds just as much as dandelion is. All are salad greens.
lol, this doesn't need so much examining 'cos it's just semantics. I'm sure dandelions are delicious but I'm not a farmers wife. I was just trying to be a bit silly :rolleyes:
I don't actually think it's the same as eating roadkill :D

Back
Top Bottom