Maintaining heat

Mamabear42

In a screened cage, how do you maintain humidity and temps? I searched through the forums and googled but I only see people talking about the importance of it. Sorry if this seems like a "dur" question.. I'm used to desert reptiles and had an iguana AGES ago!

Room temperature ~21C is good as ambient temperature for most chameleons and at night it can get as cold as 10C for most (for some even colder) so the only real worry you have is managing basking temperature.

Humidity is kept up by sufficient misting, using live plants, shielding off 1 or more sides of the enclosure and, if needed, a humidifier. You measure humidity at the ambient temperature area as it will always be lower under the basking area. The analog humudity gauges are next to useless when it comes to accuracy so better get a digital one.

Mostly the different lights required will throw off a bit of heat near the top of the enclosure and make different temperature gradients. The UVB, Plant lights and basking bulbs will all generate a bit of heat with a warm spot for basking. With lots of foliage near the top of the enclosure it will allow your chameleon to thermo-regulate, or get out of the heat when needed. You need to be careful measuring the basking site as it can be too hot and cause burns.

As for maintaining humidity, yes a misting routine is needed for this. Most will recommend an automated system that will run on a timer because it is much easier. Also, live plants are great at maintaining higher moisture in enclosures, just make sure they are safe for chameleons (especially veileds that tend to munch on leaves). Some will need to cover a few sides of a full screen enclosure to hold in moisture depending on the humidity levels in the home.

Humidity is maintained via a misting schedule and lots of live plants. Post pics of your viv and we will help you with it...

Don't have one yet. I'm trying to get it all figured out before I jump in! But when I get to that point I'll definitely post pictures because I want a happy lizard baby.

I live in Texas so our temps vary as does our humidity lol we keep it 70°F year round too. What's your favorite screened cage because I've seen various ones with various reviews.. I just want to make sure I do it right!

Don't have one yet. I'm trying to get it all figured out before I jump in! But when I get to that point I'll definitely post pictures because I want a happy lizard baby.

I live in Texas so our temps vary as does our humidity lol we keep it 70°F year round too. What's your favorite screened cage because I've seen various ones with various reviews.. I just want to make sure I do it right!
Good call on doing your homework first!

I live down the bayou in southeast Louisiana. My favorite screened cages are the ones I build but you’d have to order one of those! As far as more commercially available vivs go DragonStrand is top of the line but most use reptibreeze. You can start with the smaller ones but I don’t see the need. I raise my hatchling veilds in reptibreeze XLs and they do just fine.

Good call on doing your homework first!

I live down the bayou in southeast Louisiana. My favorite screened cages are the ones I build but you’d have to order one of those! As far as more commercially available vivs go DragonStrand is top of the line but most use reptibreeze. You can start with the smaller ones but I don’t see the need. I raise my hatchling veilds in reptibreeze XLs and they do just fine.

I was seriously just looking at the reptibreeze XL lol!! Any recommendations on a mister/fogger setup? I like my lights on a timer so I never forget to turn them on and I've read that some people hand mist or buy an automatic fogger.

Mistking! :).

Stay far away from those reptifogger, Monsoons, or any if the junk the big guys peddle.

Misting by hand, gets very old very fast. With the amount of misting you have to do, and the frequency you have to do it, a mistking is a worthwhile investment, Trust.

Shoot I am about to put my bugs on mistking and they only need misted 1 time a day :p.

Would a unit like this work for a smaller tire cage? It looks very professional grade, would it keep it tooo moist ?

Would a unit like this work for a smaller tire cage? It looks very professional grade, would it keep it tooo moist ?

What's a tire cage?

It only gets as moist as you make it. You choose how long it runs, the linger you run it the wetter it will be.

Back
Top Bottom