Mail Order Crickets

Djturna4thakidz

Established Member
I have a few questions about ordering crickets through the mail. I have always gotten my crickets locally and never had a problem. That store closed and I refuse to spend money at petco or petsmart.

I work full-time and so does my wife. If I order them and they arrive, at say noon, will they be ok to sit outside of my house until I get home at 6? I live in southern California and temps can be in the 80-90 this time of year.

Does anybody have a company they recommend?

This time of year most companies will have restrictions on mailing in the heat. Many will give the option for a hold request at your post office. If you do this, I would suggest letting your post office know when to expect them so they are on the lookout. I have had a few deliveries sent to my house without being held.
As for the companies, I've never gotten crickets, just worms. ;)

I have used Ghann's for crickets. They are a different species than other sites and they are supposed to be hardier than the domestic cricket. They have the shipping schedule on their website and I believe you can have them held at the local post office. I have very little die off with their animals and I think their prices both for the beasts and the shipping are quite reasonable. Most companies will only guarantee live arrival with overnight shipping but even using second day they have always arrived healthy.

I use reptilefood.com for crickets.

they sell the banded crickets, which I find are meatier.

if you set it up with them and the shipper, you should be able to have them held at your local hub for pick up, therefore not sitting in the sun.

Ghanns for sure, they also use banded crickets. They are great people and by far the best cricket supplier I've dealt with.

Scott

Down here in Fl I face the same temps as you do. When I order crickets there are times that there's a 6 hour delay between them being dropped off and my bringing them inside. I've never really had a problem, though I do try to schedule them for when I'm off. As for the ants you could just have a little table on your porch or by your door with a post-in requesting the box be placed there. Another thing I do is to bring them inside and let them acclimate to indoor temps before I place them in the fridge to transfer them into their clean cage - don't know if this works, but seems like it's a wise thing to do. :D

Another thing I do is to bring them inside and let them acclimate to indoor temps before I place them in the fridge to transfer them into their clean cage - don't know if this works, but seems like it's a wise thing to do. :D

I never thought to do that! I just take the bins outside to transfer them and if some get away OOPS! I also get escapees in the house when I am putting them in the feeding cups but the cats usually take care of that problem.:D

I never thought to do that! I just take the bins outside to transfer them and if some get away OOPS! I also get escapees in the house when I am putting them in the feeding cups but the cats usually take care of that problem.:D

I can't take credit for this idea, I found it here on the forums. I put them in the fridge with the screen side facing me, so I can check them every few minutes or so to see if they've slowed down at all. Another idea that I used to do is to transfer them in the bathtub. Put your cage in the tub and shake out the crickets - most can't jump out of the tub, so the escapees are easily caught and put back into the cage. My hubby isn't a big fan of escaped bugs, so to keep the household peace I try everything! :D

Back
Top Bottom