Maggots in Dubia Roach Bin??

Big Gulp

Established Member
Hi all.

So, I've been keeping/breeding dubias for years, with no issues.

But about a month ago, I opened their Sterilite tub and noticed these tiny maggot-looking things on the side walls of the tub. I cleaned the tub out and thought I'd be fine.

Well today I notice they're back. I'm not sure exactly what they are or why they've all of a sudden shown up. And if they're maggot, how do they get in there? Flies, etc cannot get into the enclosure. And I have it in my house in a closet.

The only food that I may leave in there that gets a little old are carrots and collard greens. But it's never been an issue before.

Thanks for any advice.

Maggots need moisture. Much more than dubias.

Anything rotting can give them enough moisture to survive on, especially if the OP has enough frass built up. Are they actually maggots? Can you get a picture at all? Does the bin smell? If it doesn't outright smell it will likely be at most fruit flies or something annoying like that, worst case it's a non-parasitic form of phorid flies.

Thanks for the replies. There isn't much frass at all right now, since I don't have a TON of dubias in this bin. And the only food that's leftover are a few baby carrots the roaches have been munching on, and some dried up collard greens they didn't eat. Like I said, I've never had this issue before.

Here are some pic. Sorry for the quality. These things are actually on the wall of the tub.

CWMtdNC.jpg

sQghy23.jpg

wnKpXnG.jpg

N2138G7.jpg

That would be very strange behavior for phorid flies from what I have experienced with them, but they look weird for fruit fly larvae. D8 Idk lemme see maybe

@AZChamFan would know? I know they dabble in entomology as well and know more than me.

It's just weird because I've had this happen twice now in the past few month. And I've never had this issue ever over the years, and I'm doing nothing different.

Another odd thing is, they're only 'slithering' along the walls and inside the lid. Not on the egg cartons, food, etc.

Have you checked any of your dubias? Get an adult male and check under his wings, tell me if you find any eggs or larvae.

That would be very strange behavior for phorid flies from what I have experienced with them, but they look weird for fruit fly larvae. D8 Idk lemme see maybe

@AZChamFan would know? I know they dabble in entomology as well and know more than me.

Sorry Andee I'm stumped!! They don't look like maggots......more like beetle larvae, but I can't find an exact match. I thought maybe some species of carpet beetle but they appear too smooth for anything I found. OP - have you done a google search for carpet beetle larvae? It's just difficult to see them really well in the photos. I can't tell if they have little hairs or not.

That's a good idea Andee to check a male dubia and see if they are after the roaches or the roach food!

I would usually lean towards cleaner crew too, but most species in know keep on the egg crates most or in the frass... I mean the could be BSFL technically they are the right size and shape. But honestly you would notice that smell and females BSF going in and out.

Have you checked any of your dubias? Get an adult male and check under his wings, tell me if you find any eggs or larvae.
I didn't see any under their wings. But I did see a male that looks like he has some coming from his butt area (very end tip of his body....not sure if that's where it's butt is). I also found a male dead. Not sure the cause.

This is so nasty.

If he had something coming out of his rear end, it was likely a prolapse. I have had a couple of those lately. It usually happens with older males and when it's hotter/drier from what I have noticed. Unless it looked like a liv8ng creature o_O

Just checking to make sure, is this a group I sold? Can't find anything but I also do emails. So sometimes names get away from me. If so I may be able to tell you what they are. But if not then it's back to guessing.

I have one weird suggestion, take a couple of the maggots or whatever and put them in a container, give them veggies to eat and see what happens?

These things are quite tiny btw.

Also, about half of them are white and slowly crawling around the walls, and the other half are still stuck to the walls, but brown-looking and motionless. Almost as if they dried up.

Just checking to make sure, is this a group I sold? Can't find anything but I also do emails. So sometimes names get away from me. If so I may be able to tell you what they are. But if not then it's back to guessing.

I have one weird suggestion, take a couple of the maggots or whatever and put them in a container, give them veggies to eat and see what happens?
No, I didn't get these from you. And maybe I will try that. What are you expecting to happen?

That sounds like they might be fruit flies then. If they are a species of fly or beetle, they will pupate and then we will know whether it is actually a serious issue that can't just be altered with some different habits etc. However if it's some sort of parasitic fly or beetle you have to cull the colony.

That sounds like they might be fruit flies then. If they are a species of fly or beetle, they will pupate and then we will know whether it is actually a serious issue that can't just be altered with some different habits etc. However if it's some sort of parasitic fly or beetle you have to cull the colony.
I youtubed fruit fly larvae and it looks just like that. Are there other parasitic flies/beetles that look just like fruit fly larvae?

Thanks again everyone.

Not really, sounds likes you may just need to go through your bin and remove any old veggies and fruit etc. And be careful to remove every 24 hours. <3 glad it's not parasitic ^^ Fruit flies will die soon, keep the lid closed, I honestly don't recommend feeding the roaches (and feeding currently from a different source for your animals then) for like a week for sure, that should kill off any left overs. And you dubia should be fine ^^

Back
Top Bottom