Maggots from trash

iLik3LIzards

Appologies for possible repost, I searched all over.

So my outside trashcan is loaded with house fly maggots. Would it be a good idea to capture and keep them for feeder flies? Once they transform I would feed them fly food for a week or so to clean em out and gutload if possible. I don't see an issue but being straight from a garbage source I'm a bit hesitant.

Thanks in advance

i believe better safe than sorry. i personally wouldnt even go near the trash unless i was putting it out. maybe some would more lenient with compost insects. but garbage can is just pure bad bacteria in my opinion. i wouldnt. im sure there are tons of ways and other safe pupas you can buy

I also agree. Even if you were to culture the flies, have then lay larva, some of the bacteria may linger, perhaps even prosper.

I wonder, for the sake of conversation, because I don't think parasites typically travel down from parents to offspring unless their live-bearing like mammals. So in theory, I think you could be able to grow these to fly adulthood, cultivate their eggs, and be able to feed those off once they become flies. I suppose you'd have to separate them from the parents, but it seems like perhaps it's something that could be done?

I was considering this because of the availability not to save a penny. Theres alot of people who set up fly traps or catch them in their houses, etc. The probability of those coming from some trash is very high. Maggots are supposed to be very clean, its their jobs as decomposers. I know in survival manuals it says to apply maggots to wounds to heal. Maggots do not carry parasites. Idk I just thought this would be a good discussion topic. It does seem like a good idea I think.

I wonder, for the sake of conversation, because I don't think parasites typically travel down from parents to offspring unless their live-bearing like mammals. So in theory, I think you could be able to grow these to fly adulthood, cultivate their eggs, and be able to feed those off once they become flies. I suppose you'd have to separate them from the parents, but it seems like perhaps it's something that could be done?

You know this is a very good idea actually. Maggots do not/can not carry parasites. Bacteria for sure could not travel with the larva. Could it? If the flies were kept in a clean environment and fed adiquate fly food I'm sure the larva would be totaly usable. The question is do I want to test my hypothesis?

It feels like there should be a way around the bacteria issue. Again, I don't think that if you allowed the fly to lay eggs, and then removed those eggs to hatch somewhere else, that those following flies would be as contaminated. Something would remain, of course, but the question is how much.

Back
Top Bottom